Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L4Leonard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Did you choose to engrave your iPad. If so,what text did you choose? Im thinking about this one, even though it might seem kind of nerdy. Any thoughts about it?

52f032c2a70995b22d0d00e096218082.png

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
If your gonna keep it until you can't use it anymore go all out with one you like. Personally I don't engrave anything of mine. However, I do like those words.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Heck no. While I don't really care about the resale price as I rarely resell my devices, the engraving detracts from the sleekness of the product. To me it's equivalent to those "wonderful" stickers you get on Windows machines, except you can't remove the engraving.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Heck no. While I don't really care about the resale price as I rarely resell my devices, the engraving detracts from the sleekness of the product. To me it's equivalent to those "wonderful" stickers you get on Windows machines, except you can't remove the engraving.

...or coming home with your brand new car only to announce to the world where you bought your car from and proceed to proudly display said stickers until you sell it. :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
as others have said, it reduces the resale value so i wouldn't engrave it. on something that i'd keep for a very long time i'd have no problem, but with the constant changes/upgrades to the iPads i could see myself wanting to upgrade every couple of years. and this would just make it harder.

HuDuVuDu

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
I had mine engraved with

Stolen from the Desk of <Name>

I had my iPod engraved the same way in 2005.

JSchwartz15

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
I don't resell so I got mine with:

Outside the street's on fire
In a real death waltz

It's my favorite lyric from Bruce Springsteen's Jungleland

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Would you buy a car and burn your own saying into the cars paintwork?

Actually even that would be far less as a car body panel is easy to get resprayed.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
My original iPad is engraved and I have no intention of selling/upgrading. Tried a new iPad and couldn't see enough difference to justify the expense of changing.

When it finally gives up the ghost, it will go in the skip after the use of a sledgehammer.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My original iPad is engraved and I have no intention of selling/upgrading. Tried a new iPad and couldn't see enough difference to justify the expense of changing.

When it finally gives up the ghost, it will go in the skip after the use of a sledgehammer.

You could sell tickets for 1 whack at your dead iPad. Should help towards the purchase of a new one. :D

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I think getting the smart case engraved works as a good compromise.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
This is a first hearing of it lower the resale value. Several of my friends have sold theirs with engraving at the resale value with no problems. Only problem with engraving is when you have to get a replacement ... and then you get a new one w/o any engraved writing. But hey it's free so do it, scribe away. !! :rolleyes:

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
If anything, engraving something clever on the back of an iPad could actually increase resell value!

Anything I would inscribe would more than triple the resale value. My words illuminate far greater than light from a screen; they offer both wisdom and understanding, eternally invaluable.

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Mine says, "Call my Ishmael" My dad's favorite quote.
Since I don't sell stuff too often, it doesn't matter...

Also, the most important point is that out of the millions of iPads sold, mine is, at least, slightly different from the other iPads...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.