Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland
Maybe its just me but I have been to android, I've been to Windows phone, I've been to symbian but in the end I always seem to return to iOS purely because the rest are so unreliable.

Here are a list of the handsets I've had and the issues I've had.

iPhone 3G
HTC Desire (Android) - Rubbish battery life, wouldn't even last a day
Back to iPhone 3G
Samsung Galaxy (Android) GPS Issues and Signal issues
Switch to iPhone 3GS
HTC Mozart 7 (Windows Phone) Appalling battery life, was dead by lunch time.
Back to 3GS
HTC Incredible S (Android) same old story, battery and signal issues
iPhone 4
HTC Sensation XE (Android) Had a death grip issue, hold the phone at the bottom wifi went, hold it at the top cell signal went
iPhone 4S

I am not being picky with these phones I've had, I compare them to the iPhones I have owned and I can genuinely say I have never had an issue with any iphone I have owned and I've owned them all bar the 1st gen, the problem is at the moment, iOS hasn't really changed from it was released and to be frank its all a bit boring at the moment but whats the alternative? Even at the moment the competition is the ONE X and the S3, and as per usual there are issues, HTC have admitted a hardware problem with WiFi and of course the usual old problem of poor battery life that seems to have effected HTC from day 1, and then the S3, I have heard some reports of over heating but other than that I've not heard many bad reports about the S3 thus far, but in the end the old 4S still seems to be the most reliable but as I say at this stage of the game its bloody boring.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
iPhones tend to have issues too, though, not as severe. Here is what I have noticed.

1. Hates my car stereo, even though prepay flip phones worked fine.
2. With custom ringtones, the phone will fail to ring until reset. You never know this happens unless vibration is on.
3. Calls with go straight to voicemail if I am in a call 50% of the time.
4. Bluetooth earpiece cannot be used without resetting the phone if an attempt to pair was made during dialing.
5. Sometimes, when I hit the sleep button, it will immediately wake up, then sleep, then wake up again, and my tapping it again makes the whole cycle repeat.

Sometimes, I have to fight with my phone, but it has never been so bad that I have wanted to change. These are mostly software glitches anyways, and we are more likely to see fixes than android users so I don't mind.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If I wasn't using iOS, I'd be on Windows Phone.

Nokia Lumia series most likely.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Op

wonkasmall.jpg

Oh, your life must be so difficult.

Last edited:

dj9928

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Ireland

My wife has a Lumia 800, it has its issues to, It started of with appalling battery life but in fairness to Nokia its been sorted, it still lasts no where near as long as an iPhone though, it also has temperamental wifi issues, when you wake it from sleep it can take ages to connect and some times you have to go in and select the router again which is a pain, but yes I'd rate Windows phone higher than android.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Galaxy Nexus

If I had to go Android I would chose that hands down. Its the "iPhone" in the Android world.

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
windows phone

I've been kinda impressed with the nokia lumia. So i bought it for my dad to use and I'm stunned at how smooth the UI is and how easy it is to operate. I still have my iPhone 4 waiting for the 5 to come out. I will probably get the 5, but I may consider any new windows phones that are in the market at that time.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For someone who cries about how important 500,000 apps are for iOS, that's an odd choice. You hate Android that much.

I dont think android is a good product.

I think Windows Phone, especially 8, has great potential.

I'll take my chances with a unproven rookie that has potential over a palooka any day of the week.

The day Google goes back to the drawing board and does Chrome OS Phone, or Android II which is actually made for touch screen devices from day one, I might reconsider...or maybe not. At least not until Google goes back to "dont be evil".

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I used to have an iPhone 3GS for the longest time, but I traded it for a Windows Phone and I love it. With the announcement of WP8 this fall, I plan on sticking with the platform and buying a Nokia Lumia device. But If I had to switch away from Wp, I would go back to iOS as my next choice.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
I dont think android is a good product.

Android has actually matured quite a bit. I used to think Android was awful, which it was, but Android today has surpassed iOS in usefulness and features. As much as I hate to say it, Apple is playing catch-up with my iPhone 4. The Galaxy S3 is a better phone (except for camera quality - iPhone is still better here).

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
OP. Either get a nice android phone (running ICS or Jelly Bean), or go get a blackberry.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

While I agree, that's the best in Windows Phone, it's a shame it won't receive the windows 8 update. Not a great way to welcome people into the WP ecosystem.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
While I agree, that's the best in Windows Phone, it's a shame it won't receive the windows 8 update. Not a great way to welcome people into the WP ecosystem.

I think MSFT has done a terrible job of launching Windows 8.

For early adopters it is a nightmare. For new buyers though, the leap in features and performance should be huge.

The apps situation is still terrible though, but overall I think Windows Phone will have a big 2013.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
iPhones tend to have issues too, though, not as severe. Here is what I have noticed.

2. With custom ringtones, the phone will fail to ring until reset. You never know this happens unless vibration is on.

Care to elaborate on this. I have never seem this and I always have custom ringtones an vibration on.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Maybe its just me but I have been to android, I've been to Windows phone, I've been to symbian but in the end I always seem to return to iOS purely because the rest are so unreliable.

Here are a list of the handsets I've had and the issues I've had.

iPhone 3G
HTC Desire (Android) - Rubbish battery life, wouldn't even last a day
Back to iPhone 3G
Samsung Galaxy (Android) GPS Issues and Signal issues
Switch to iPhone 3GS
HTC Mozart 7 (Windows Phone) Appalling battery life, was dead by lunch time.
Back to 3GS
HTC Incredible S (Android) same old story, battery and signal issues
iPhone 4
HTC Sensation XE (Android) Had a death grip issue, hold the phone at the bottom wifi went, hold it at the top cell signal went
iPhone 4S

I am not being picky with these phones I've had, I compare them to the iPhones I have owned and I can genuinely say I have never had an issue with any iphone I have owned and I've owned them all bar the 1st gen, the problem is at the moment, iOS hasn't really changed from it was released and to be frank its all a bit boring at the moment but whats the alternative? Even at the moment the competition is the ONE X and the S3, and as per usual there are issues, HTC have admitted a hardware problem with WiFi and of course the usual old problem of poor battery life that seems to have effected HTC from day 1, and then the S3, I have heard some reports of over heating but other than that I've not heard many bad reports about the S3 thus far, but in the end the old 4S still seems to be the most reliable but as I say at this stage of the game its bloody boring.

Find a Galaxy Nexus and give it a try. It's the truest sense of Android. If you don't prefer it then you'll know that iOS is right for you. Just my thoughts

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I think MSFT has done a terrible job of launching Windows 8.

For early adopters it is a nightmare. For new buyers though, the leap in features and performance should be huge.

The apps situation is still terrible though, but overall I think Windows Phone will have a big 2013.

Only time will tell. It was just funny to see MSFT introduce WP7 as a single core device into a world of dual core phones.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Droid razr maxx. It has android 4.0 without being overly moto blurrred, has excellent battery life, and those smart functions which seem pretty high end.

blakjak220

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
I really don't get the need to bash the OP for posing a question... anyway

I've always been on Android and it definitely has it's problems.. but I've the Epic4G Touch for about a year and I haven't had any problems that weren't caused by me flashing custom ROMs and what not.
The stock GB on here is really fast and the battery will literally last for about a day and a half with moderate usage.

My friend has a Win7 phone and the serious lack of apps would discourage me from that OS at this point. Plus it suffers from a serious lack of customizability. Granted I've only had experience with that one Samsung Win7 phone so it may be different for some.

The quick answer - the only real alternative is Android.. it has it's own set of problems but being bored with it shouldn't be one of them...

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Care to elaborate on this. I have never seem this and I always have custom ringtones an vibration on.

I make my own ringtones. So if I set it to, for example, Archer's mom moaning, then cursing, the sound will play fine for a while, then suddenly stop all ringtones until I reset.

Also, I can't always end calls with the end button. It will either ignore the press, or show the press and do nothing. Hitting sleep ends the call and everything works as normal.

These are software bugs and are fixable.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Yup, sums up my feelings.

WP8 and Lumia 1000 cannot come fast enough :(

Give it all the apps and WP8 is as good as iOS at least, actually better for me as i own a PC. I am sure owning a mac makes an iPhone a no brainer with the integration. I however like the silo-less approach of windows phone and its future.

Android is not bad, it is just that, some thing doesn't feel right whenever you use one for a while. And then you are back to iPhone again lol. Story of my smartphone life :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.