Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So I have been able to get by with one Apple Account for myself used on my MBP, my wifes MB, her iPad and her iPhone. This Fall I plan on purchasing an iPhone for myself and I'm thinking that for calendar and other personal preferences and in light of the apps I have purchased, I'm wondering after establishing an Apple Account for my wife, what is the best way for me to get the apps purchased on my account over to her device? I'm hoping they don't have to be purchased again.

Any suggestions or strategies appreciated. Thanks! :)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
So I have been able to get by with one Apple Account for myself used on my MBP, my wifes MB, her iPad and her iPhone. This Fall I plan on purchasing an iPhone for myself and I'm thinking that for calendar and other personal preferences and in light of the apps I have purchased, I'm wondering after establishing an Apple Account for my wife, what is the best way for me to get the apps purchased on my account over to her device? I'm hoping they don't have to be purchased again.

Log into your account on her device and reinstall the apps from iCloud. After that's done, log back into her account and there you go... she has all your apps and purchases.

The only downside is that for updates, you will have to login to your account on her device in order to update the apps.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Here is what I recommend.

3 AppleID accounts/5 unique email addresses:
(AppleID/email addresses used for accounts)
iTunes #1 (shared)
iCloud #1 (yours) + a secondary unique email address
iCloud #2 (hers) + a secondary unique email address

Secondary email addresses added to icloud AppleID accounts:
Use different addresses for each of you.
FaceTime/iMessage #1 (yours)
FaceTime/iMessage #2 (hers)

Your devices: (iTunes #1, iCloud#1, FaceTime/iMessage#1)
MBP
iPhone

Your wife's devices: (iTunes #1, iCloud#2, FaceTime/iMessage#2)
MB
iPhone
iPad

This will share all music, movies, tv, audiobooks, apps, and iBooks between all devices.
You will each have separate contacts, calendars, documents, photos, email, FaceTime/iMessage, backups, etc.
This will also separate your FaceTime/iMessage apps fom the email address used for your iCloud documents or personal email, so you aren't potentially using your personal email address as a "Caller ID" for other communication.

I believe this is what you were looking to accomplish. It might be overkill depending on your privacy needs, but will give you better privacy, while still allowing you to share your iTunes content.

Good luck!

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Why did they make this so difficult in doing? :(

They didn't. One person, one account. If you want to share apps, log in to the app store using your significant other's account and download relevant apps. Or just buy them, most apps are cheap.

HMI's response looks massively complex; I'd avoid that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Log into your account on her device and reinstall the apps from iCloud. After that's done, log back into her account and there you go... she has all your apps and purchases.

The only downside is that for updates, you will have to login to your account on her device in order to update the apps.

Thanks I'll keep this in mind!

3 AppleID accounts/5 unique email addresses:
(AppleID/email addresses used for accounts)
iTunes #1 (shared)

Secondary email addresses added to icloud AppleID accounts:
Use different addresses for each of you.
FaceTime/iMessage #1 (yours)
FaceTime/iMessage #2 (hers)

Your devices: (iTunes #1, iCloud#1, FaceTime/iMessage#1)
MBP
iPhone

Your wife's devices: (iTunes #1, iCloud#2, FaceTime/iMessage#2)
MB
iPhone
iPad

This will share all music, movies, tv, audiobooks, apps, and iBooks between all devices.
You will each have separate contacts, calendars, documents, photos, email, FaceTime/iMessage, backups, etc.
This will also separate your FaceTime/iMessage apps fom the email address used for your iCloud documents or personal email, so you aren't potentially using your personal email address as a "Caller ID" for other communication.

I believe this is what you were looking to accomplish. It might be overkill depending on your privacy needs, but will give you better privacy, while still allowing you to share your iTunes content.

Good luck!

iTunes #1 (shared)

Are these 2 Apple Accounts? Where is the 3rd Apple Account?

Are all the numbers with #, describing the Apple Accounts? I'm not sure about the 3 Apple Accounts/5 email addresses? And if you can have multiple emails attached to the same Apple Account, and when you log in with different emails, they can have different features?
Thanks! :)

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Or

Account #1=iTunes #1 (shared)
Account #2=iCloud #1 (yours) + a secondary unique email address
Account #3=iCloud #2 (hers) + a secondary unique email address

Or

If you want you can use two accounts with a total of two email addresses.

You: your iTunes email address / that same email address for your iCloud
Account #1= both iTunes/iCloud

Her: your iTunes email address / her own unique email address for her iCloud.
Account #1= only iTunes. Account #2= only iCloud

a lot simpler and works fine if that's what you want.

If you only want one account /email address, then you have to share contacts, calendars, etc, which most people don't like doing.

Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
This is truly boggling. Why would you need more than one account?! I have one iTunes account that works for iCloud, iTunes, FaceTime, App Store, and my girlfriend has the same. Can you explain how multiple accounts are easier to manage?

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
It's pretty obvious that one account means you share everything, not just iTunes purchases. If both of you have extensive contacts and calendars it becomes very congested having them all on each device. Sharing iMessages might not suit everyone. It's not just a personal issue, but an unwanted content issue.

Actually, I think the 3 account plan works. Yes it is a little contorted, but it meets the needs.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Its hardly difficult.

iCloud accounts and iTunes Store accounts are setup in 2 different places.

On ALL devices go to settings and Store then sign in with your Apple store account. Do this under music and videos too.

Now on each device sign in with the appropriate iCloud account, e.g. on your phone use yours on your wifes use hers (or create a new iCloud account for her.

Now all of the iTunes purchases are shared and youe email, contacts and calendars are all separate.

In no way difficult to setup, just takes a bit of common sense.

And yes, I have my kit setup this way, 6 iOS devices (4 iPhones 2 iPads) with 4 separate iCloud accounts. All sharing 1 iTunes account for apps and music through iTunes Match.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Why did they make this so difficult in doing? :(

They didn't make this difficult at all. People are trying to make it difficult by attempting to share iTunes Store accounts, Apple ID's, or iCloud accounts when that is not necessary at all.

I repeat, it makes no sense to share ANY account on your devices. Home Sharing takes care of that. Yes, you can even share apps using Home Sharing. There's no need for sharing iTunes Store accounts. Especially in iOS6 since it no longer asks for the password when doing updates.

You will see people advise others to share iTunes Store accounts all the time but that is because this is how people used to do it before Home Sharing became possible and they never figured out how to do it with the better method that Home Sharing provides.

There are several downsides and loss of functionality when sharing iTunes Store accounts and it is completely unnecessary unless it is impossible to be on the same Wifi network as the person you want to share with.

For example, some things are attached to your iTunes Store account like your bookmarks in iBooks. Also if you share iTunes Store accounts, it means you won't be able to take advantage of the automatic downloads feature. There are other limitations and possibly more coming in the future. Use Home Sharing instead.

----------

It is very simple. Stop sharing any accounts. Use your own Apple ID, iCloud accounts, and iTunes store accounts. Start using Home Sharing. Problem solved. As long as you are able to be on the same Wifi, that is the best way to handle it and it is the approved way to share apps, music, movies, tv shows, and other purchased content amongst your family without repurchasing.

Doing it this way is also the simplest method. You only need one Apple ID. When you set up your new phone, you just put in that one Apple ID and everything is setup automatically. You don't have to go into the Store settings and change anything. And your wife only has to use her one Apple ID.

The advice you've been given in this thread is not really the best way to do it. It used to be but it is not necessary anymore and Home Sharing is a better way.

historyteacher

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
I have been battling this issue also.

I currently use the above method of 3 accounts. Not the easiest to figure out, but it does the trick.

Newagemac - how do you do the home sharing thing? Sounds intriguing. I can understand the benefits with the iBooks and stuff. However, I found this on apple's website.

"Home Sharing can also extend streaming of music, movies, TV shows, and more to your iOS devices and Apple TV (2nd generation). To stream music, movies, TV shows, and more to the multiple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices in your family, as well as your Apple TV*(2nd generation), you will need to turn on Home Sharing on the devices. You'll also need to use the same Apple ID on each device on your home Wi-Fi network."

Last sentence is the one I was wondering about. Thanks for all the help you guys always provide. My fav forum by far!

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I have been battling this issue also.

I currently use the above method of 3 accounts. Not the easiest to figure out, but it does the trick.

Newagemac - how do you do the home sharing thing? Sounds intriguing. I can understand the benefits with the iBooks and stuff. However, I found this on apple's website.

"Home Sharing can also extend streaming of music, movies, TV shows, and more to your iOS devices and Apple TV (2nd generation). To stream music, movies, TV shows, and more to the multiple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices in your family, as well as your Apple TV*(2nd generation), you will need to turn on Home Sharing on the devices. You'll also need to use the same Apple ID on each device on your home Wi-Fi network."

Last sentence is the one I was wondering about. Thanks for all the help you guys always provide. My fav forum by far!

The last sentence is only referring to where you add the "Home Sharing" Apple ID. Everyone would still use their own Apple ID everywhere else. You see, the Apple ID used for Home Sharing is sort of like a master account. Everyone keeps their own Apple ID in iTunes on their computers and devices.

In fact, you can create a totally new Apple ID that no one uses and just use that one for the Home Sharing Apple ID if you don't want to use your own as the master one. The Home Sharing one is only used to associate all the others to it.

It is really very simple.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I appreciate the help. In a month or whenever the iphone 5 comes out, I'll tackle this issue in earnest. I like the simplest method without having to repurchase if possible.

They didn't make this difficult at all. People are trying to make it difficult by attempting to share iTunes Store accounts, Apple ID's, or iCloud accounts when that is not necessary at all.

I repeat, it makes no sense to share ANY account on your devices. Home Sharing takes care of that. Yes, you can even share apps using Home Sharing. There's no need for sharing iTunes Store accounts. Especially in iOS6 since it no longer asks for the password when doing updates.

You will see people advise others to share iTunes Store accounts all the time but that is because this is how people used to do it before Home Sharing became possible and they never figured out how to do it with the better method that Home Sharing provides.

There are several downsides and loss of functionality when sharing iTunes Store accounts and it is completely unnecessary unless it is impossible to be on the same Wifi network as the person you want to share with.

For example, some things are attached to your iTunes Store account like your bookmarks in iBooks. Also if you share iTunes Store accounts, it means you won't be able to take advantage of the automatic downloads feature. There are other limitations and possibly more coming in the future. Use Home Sharing instead.

----------

It is very simple. Stop sharing any accounts. Use your own Apple ID, iCloud accounts, and iTunes store accounts. Start using Home Sharing. Problem solved. As long as you are able to be on the same Wifi, that is the best way to handle it and it is the approved way to share apps, music, movies, tv shows, and other purchased content amongst your family without repurchasing.

Doing it this way is also the simplest method. You only need one Apple ID. When you set up your new phone, you just put in that one Apple ID and everything is setup automatically. You don't have to go into the Store settings and change anything. And your wife only has to use her one Apple ID.

The advice you've been given in this thread is not really the best way to do it. It used to be but it is not necessary anymore and Home Sharing is a better way.

Right now every device uses my Apple ID. Soon I'll walk into a store and purchase a new phone and use my Apple ID on it. Then I'll come home and create a new Apple ID for my wife's iphone which currently has every app we have purchased on it.

So with Home Sharing, which I know nothing about (will research it), if my wife has an app on her phone, that was purchased with my Apple ID, will she be able to update it using her Apple ID or will I have to log into phone to update it? I would really like to avoid this. Thanks much! :):)

Last edited:

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
not true apple in iOS 6 have stopped password prompts for updates via app store on iOS devices.... I know this cause I have a US and a UK account and they have stopped asking for passwords when updating

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Account #1=iTunes #1 (shared)
Account #2=iCloud #1 (yours) + a secondary unique email address
Account #3=iCloud #2 (hers) + a secondary unique email address

Or

If you want you can use two accounts with a total of two email addresses.

You: your iTunes email address / that same email address for your iCloud
Account #1= both iTunes/iCloud

Her: your iTunes email address / her own unique email address for her iCloud.
Account #1= only iTunes. Account #2= only iCloud

a lot simpler and works fine if that's what you want.

If you only want one account /email address, then you have to share contacts, calendars, etc, which most people don't like doing.

I got my iphone last week. I think this is the arrangement since my wife has shown no interest in iTunes on her phone (yet). Thanks for the help!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I got my iphone last week. I think this is the arrangement since my wife has shown no interest in iTunes on her phone (yet). Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! Feel free to ask more questions if you would like help with anything. I hope you enjoy the new phone!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
During the last iOS update 6.1 my wife got a message on her iPad of all the email addresses associated with my iPhone. It was a little window that popped up in the middle of her screen. As stated earlier in this thread at one point we had everything on my Apple account until I got my own iPhone, then I established an account for her and put her iPhone and iPad on her account.

Checking her iPad, iCloud and iTunes settings, both have her Apple account email address listed. Is there something else that would cause her to get this message? Thanks!

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
During the last iOS update 6.1 my wife got a message on her iPad of all the email addresses associated with my iPhone. It was a little window that popped up in the middle of her screen. As stated earlier in this thread at one point we had everything on my Apple account until I got my own iPhone, then I established an account for her and put her iPhone and iPad on her account.

Checking her iPad, iCloud and iTunes settings, both have her Apple account email address listed. Is there something else that would cause her to get this message? Thanks!

Go to appleid.apple.com and login with her account and make sure her account doesn't list your email addresses as alternative ones for her account. As I stated earlier in this thread, sharing accounts is a bad thing and completely unnecessary since Home Sharing allows you to share apps and other iTunes content without repurchasing. If you ever share accounts, you will likely run into problems like you experienced.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Go to appleid.apple.com and login with her account and make sure her account doesn't list your email addresses as alternative ones for her account. As I stated earlier in this thread, sharing accounts is a bad thing and completely unnecessary since Home Sharing allows you to share apps and other iTunes content without repurchasing. If you ever share accounts, you will likely run into problems like you experienced.

My email was not listed on her ID and hers was not listed on mine, but thanks for the suggestion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.