Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonySnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Colorado
I am at a total loss right now, I have no idea what is going on. Was typing away on a document and my Powerbook just goes black, as if the battery died without warning. But it was plugged in and the cable was still lit up green. I wasn't doing anything spectacular (heck it was just Text Edit) and it wasn't real hot or anything. I flipped it over and pushed the button on the battery, nothing at all lights up, not even the "dead battery" flash. I hit the power button, I hear really faint sound like the hard drive spinning up for a moment but no activity on the screen. I tried unplugging and going to another outlet, nothing. I tried force restart, resetting the PRAM, and PMU, absolutely nothing. The best I got was a few times it made that sound like it was starting up or waking up (not the chime but just the hard drive components moving I guess) but nothing more. I don't know if there even is anything else to try other than shipping her home but I am open to any suggestions

Its a 17" Powerbook G4 1.0 gHz, 60 GB HD and 1 GB ram on Tiger 10.4.1

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Those sound like the classic symptoms of a logic board failure, most commonly seen in iBooks.

Still under warranty or Applecare?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.