Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I just want to use my icloud.com/me.com with my iTunes (which uses gmail.com). iTunes should be like youtube, you can disconnect a Google+ account from youtube and attach another G+ account.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
If I setup an iCloud email address, is that going to change my Apple ID or iCloud login to be that email address permanently, or does it just add it as an alias kind of?

I'd like to be able to sync notes....

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
I have had my @mac.com address for more than ten years now, and I would really prefer that it stay that way as long as Apple is serving email addresses. It costs effectively nothing to keep the domain and alias the address. And, yes, it's the mark of someone who stuck by Apple long before the comeback. :)

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
all @icloud.com email addresses are currently scheduled to be deactivated and transitioned to the new @emailonmyiosdevice.com domain in two years

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Quit ****ing with my email, Apple! Just leave it alone! Work on other more important ****!

All the addresses should be @mac, which was the best and simplest (or, as a second choice, @apple). @me was stupid, @icloud is stupid and this whole thing of changing everybody's address every few years is stupid.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
reading the article again, I think whats happening is people with ONLY @me email addresses are getting the iCloud addresses as well. so basically they'll get two sets of addresses like users who have @mac & @me

Personally, @mac will always have that cache that all other apple email addresses will never have (except those that have @apple.com)

AMG63

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Something big is coming to http://www.me.com – there is no way Apple is going to simply abandon a domain name like that. I would put money on it that it's going to be Apple's own social network.

:apple:

d3bruts1d

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
TN
Something big is coming to http://www.me.com – there is no way Apple is going to simply abandon a domain name like that. I would put money on it that it's going to be Apple's own social network.

:apple:

If that were the case, I don't think they would be automatically generating @icloud emails for people that already have @me addresses.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Time for Apple to get more flexible between mac.com, me.com and iCloud.com. I have a mac.com AppleID but no email, and a me.com email and no AppleID. Confusing.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I use gmail for all my business stuff, pushed to phone etc, but I just secured my @me address for personal use and ipad only email, so I can differentiate what mail goes to which device, and allows business and personal to be separate.

I also wanted to just save the @me just cause its so simple and @icloud is just longer and annoying and just in case they force icloud over @me in future, I have @me saved, and am lazy and happy with the two letter domain.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
I wish Apple had some kind of Domains-like program where I could use iCloud space with my own domain. Oh well, as long as they let my @me.com address stay.

I think that will come eventually, but much simpler process than google apps.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Great! But when do we get the option to merge .mac and .me IDs with an iCloud account?

YES!!!

The only reason I still have a gmail account is, ironically, because that's what I originally registered my iTunes account with and Apple is pretty much forcing me to do it. I switched to iCloud mail last year, and they will not let me merge, so now I have to keep my gmail account open so that I can still keep all my content. It's kind of ridiculous.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2006
how dose my current .me address get converted to icloud address I am on 6.0 beta 3

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I had a .mac address from when I tried that service 100 years ago. Unfortunately, my iTunes account is linked to that email address. Will that .mac address be converted to an iCloud address that I'll have access to since iCloud stuff is free?

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
having problems

I tried entering my new supposed @icloud.com email address into mail where i have the @me.com and @mac.com addresses (and I can choose from a drop-down) where I want the message to be sent from. I got an internal server error.

It may be a problem with ports but I dunno if I need to delete and redo the account entirely or if Mountain Lion's updated version of mail transitions this over seamlessly.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

@iCloud makes sense, and people already know what it is.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.

RadioFlyer79

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2005
Orlando
Address the address

Man. I wish they'd just leave @mac.com and @me.com. I just converted all of my bills and what not from a bellsouth address that AT&T decided to delete. I won't even get started on that issue. I really hope they activate multiple iCloud users on one computer this year.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Quit ****ing with my email, Apple! Just leave it alone! Work on other more important ****!
D*** right. I've had people stumbling over mac.com/me.com for years now. (Yes either one works but they panic when they get a message from me at one they haven't been expecting.) Now they have a third one to freak over.
******* this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.