Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Does this mean I can change my username? 'cause I hate the one I picked for MobileMe.

TimAlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Personally I prefer me.com, it's nice and short

I disagree. I originally loved the simplicity of the me.com address. However, I'm getting very tired of using the phonetic alphabet every time I give my email address. "No, it's not ne.com or any.com... it's Me.com."

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I have and use daily my mac.com address but have never checked if me.com address gets mail. Not even sure if I opted in or out of anything related. hmm

...and Apple better let us keep existing addresses or they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands of the likes they've never seen.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
This is very frustrating considering that it took me a year to send an email to everyone i know saying that as of today (litterally 7/15) i can no longer be reached on my gmail address!!!!

:eek:

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I have and use daily my mac.com address but have never checked if me.com address gets mail. Not even sure if I opted in or out of anything related. hmm

...and Apple better let us keep existing addresses or they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands of the likes they've never seen.

What would be a lot more useful is if they made it an either/or thing. Open up the icloud.com domain and let new users signup for addresses there if they so choose, kind of how Yahoo does it with @yahoo.com and @ymail.com.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
@me.com is VERY VERY easy to tell people.

not that @icloud.com is too difficult but too many people don't know if it is "iCloud" "eyecloud" "cloud" ...

everyone knows "me" and can easily type me without a second question.

Keep ME.

hope in the future they have options...choose one of these 3 names: Mac.com, Me.com, iCloud.com

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
prefer @mac.com myself. Badge of a veteran.

Exactly. Not to mention I use that as my non-work email everywhere... Would kill me to change it everywhere.

Plus I could care less about iCloud which isn't really even a "thing" as opposed to my mac (which I have owned since 1985!) and am proud to be a veteran of.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I grow tired of Apple changing their email domains. I started with a .mac account, now also have an @me.com and now a stupid iCloud.com one too. I'm glad my primary email is a Gmail account. It's been the same since 2005 beta days.

Apple, just pick one and stick with it.

breezie

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Anyone know if I can sign up for a new iCloud email address? Hate it when someone takes my name first!

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I use my .mac address for business and changing it would be major pain...I've had the address for half a dozen years and YES, it's the badge of a veteran.

I love going into my local apple store and during checkout when they ask me if I want my receipt emailed and I say "sure" and give them my .mac account getting the smile with something akin to, "Man, you must go way back!"

I'm too nice to say, "Probably back to when you were still in high school." but then again I'm beginning to edge toward the point of being old enough to be their parent - UGH! :eek:

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
I wouldn't care if Apple just made it possible to merge Apple IDs already... Aghr. Has Apple ever given a reason why they can't merge Apple IDs? That is, other than it taking effort - I'm sure it'll take effort, but they should do it.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I wish they'd allow custom domains. Sure, you can add an alias and forward it, but you still have to use the mac/me/icloud email for all iCloud logins and so on.

Cinematic

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
East Coast
.MAC or Gmail

.me is dorky
.icloud is worse

wtf Apple, you nailed it with .Mac. . .guess that doesn't fit with the new iOS corporate focus. . .

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
@me.com has ZERO name recognition.

That's actually why I like it. I really don't want to have another generic @yahoo or @gmail or @hotmail address. The fact that people don't know @me is a selling point to me. Since I can keep it, no big deal, but if Apple were ever to dump it I'd probably go back to my own domain.

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
stupid question:

what does that mean for my apple id and my icloud-@me.com adress?

will it affect anything or do i have to change something when ios 6 comes out?! :confused:

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I can see the problem with a mac address is Apple is more than Macs these days. Way more people have iOS devices than Macs. Maybe a person with an iPhone and a Windows PC doesn't want a Mac address.

I switched to Hotmail like 13+ years ago after my ISP kept changing my email address. I will stick with that Hotmail address as long as it is still around.

job2

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Just logged out from iCloud account on my Mac and tried to create a new one. The one that was to be created was an @me address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.