Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Are you kidding me? Someone pays for 2 GB of data and then will get charged because they want to use the same exact data to make a voice call. F AT&T.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Are there any third-party video chat apps for iOS yet? If so, do they work over 3G?
There are plenty that run over WiFi. Just go to a site like AppShopper and search for video conferencing. You could do the same at the iTunes App Store, but the search function isn't as good.

Longtime third-party service fring has featured cellular 3G video chat for a while. Also available are Tango and Skype. There are probably others, but those are the biggest third-party services that run over 3G.

There are many more video conference services that run over WiFi. Video conferencing services have been around since front-facing cameras have showed up on smartphones. I guess that would be summer 2010 on the iPhone 4.

So yeah, there have been video conferencing apps available on the iPhone for a couple of years.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Works fine for me too.. Maybe unlimited data plans are exempt from this?

I don't have unlimited data, I pay for the 2Gb plan. Arn said resetting your network settings would do it, but since I have the feature, I'd rather not intentionally get rid of it since it's still free right now. Haha

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Not only should AT&T not charge extra to use FaceTime Apple should make them waive any data usage charges for FaceTime use. AT&T and their backwards thinking is restricting the progression of technology.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Verizon?

Hopefully Verizon will see things differently. I've been looking for a good reason to switch from AT&T. Users should be able to pick and choose which services utilize their data plans. Carriers should not be able to pick and choose which services we use over our data plans, especially those that are "unlimited" .

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I guess this makes the new Verizon plans a bit better considering they give you the hotspot and FaceTime over data built into the plan. Of course it depends on if you will even use these features.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It's crazy that I pay AT&T for tethering for my iPhone and I could in theory use FaceTime on my laptop tethered to my iPhone, but I can't use FaceTime on the iPhone itself. If this is still the situation when iOS 6 arrives, that'll be silly.

Wonder what Randy has to say about this? I pay for 5 gigs. This includes tethering. I can tether and facetime all day long for not a red cent more.

Randy?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Information "As it becomes available . . ."

It's available right now. It just has not been announced yet.

Verizon charges $10 per 2GB over the max plan. That's a whole bunch more expensive than any fixed line.
If I were to guess, the first version of iOS6 will have an uber crippled resolution for Facetime (default or hard coded) to reduce network hog.

The last thing they want you to do is watch Netflix movies for $9 a month.

Rocketman

Last edited:

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
What B.S. AT&T !

I can already stream video via Slingbox and Skype too.

AT&T is making money on all the data that I use. So what more do they want?

Why should FaceTime be any different?

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
It's about the minutes...

I can't help but think it's about the minutes.
If you FaceTime everyone instead of calling you're using Data alright, that your'e paying for, but you're also NOT using any minutes...so you could drop your minutes plan down to a minimum, bump up your data, and end up cheaper possibly.

ATT already losing revenue on texting with iMessage.

I don't know why they or someone doesn't just lead the pack and provide a Data-Only plan already...it's not like Voice or SMS are something special any more.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I'm no fan of AT&T but how do we even know this will be the case. I'm pretty sure AT&T themselves don't even know what the drill will be... but.. I punch myself in the face with that statement because how come Verizon customers aren't experiencing this...

Any word on what deal will be with Sprint?

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Oh my god. ATT is the devil! Seriously! If I pay for 5 gigs (which I do) I will use my 5 gigs HOW I PLEASE! (includes tethering, so cool your jets on that one).

US wireless is the worst.

nope . Japan allows no tethering or unlocked phones.
Canada requires 3 year contracts

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I struggle to see how AT&T is going to be able to sell this to its subscribers as a premium feature that would make them want to pay for it. Personal hotspot is one thing, but this?
Gotta agree. I've been using iOS 6 since beta 1 and I use FaceTime quite often but I rarely need to use it on "4G." I wouldn't pay extra for it.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I can't help but think it's about the minutes.
If you FaceTime everyone instead of calling you're using Data alright, that your'e paying for, but you're also NOT using any minutes...so you could drop your minutes plan down to a minimum, bump up your data, and end up cheaper possibly.

ATT already losing revenue on texting with iMessage.

I don't know why they or someone doesn't just lead the pack and provide a Data-Only plan already...it's not like Voice or SMS are something special any more.
Thanks Apple for iMessage and screw AT&T for their already absurd rates on everything. Scum Bags!

-Mike

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm not going back to T-Mobile and their insanely bad customer service at least, but I'll definitely not be staying with AT$T if this goes through.

What other alternatives do I have for a GSM iPhone?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Carriers are evil!

Most, but not all. I am on Virgin Mobile USA, and only pay $35 a month off contract for 300 min, unlimited text, and most importantly unlimited 3G/4G data. They don't have any BS charges like this, and recently actually lowered their monthly rates for iPhone users.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Seeing as this is a core function of iOS, why are Apple letting carriers interfere in such a way?

Despite the popular myth that Jobs changed some major way that phone makers interact with carriers (no carrier logo or preloaded apps? big whoop)...

...Apple has always let AT&T influence what they do, from the original WiFi-only Skype to delaying Google Voice, to WiFi-only Facetime, to showing "4G" for HSPA+.

E.g. In Apple's reply to the 2009 FCC inquiry as to its relationship with AT&T, Apple stated:

There is a provision in Apple’s agreement with AT&T that obligates Apple not to include functionality in any Apple phone that enables a customer to use AT&T’s cellular network service to originate or terminate a VoIP session without obtaining AT&T’s permission. Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&T’s cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.”

Other parts of the reply indicated that Apple listened closely to AT&T's recommendations as to what constituted an app that was too bandwidth heavy for cellular.

Some of that has changed over time, but apparently some has not.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.