Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
July 20, 2013 can't get here fast enough. With LTE far better than AT&T's in my area, and with all of these stupid charges, I'm ready to go to Verizon. I'm not saying that Verizon doesn't institute outrageous fees as well (remember the "convenience fee" fiasco?), but I'm fed up with AT&T's greed.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
It only seems that way because angry customers are more vocal. I can say for certain that the new Share Everything plans actually are saving more people money than it is costing more. Seriously, by a lot.

Really, the only ones it's costing more for is families who have more basic phones than smart phones. But that scenario is becoming incredibly rare now and those customers are allowed to keep their old plans anyway. I have customers who are saving upwards of $180 a month. Plus gaining the comfort of not having to count minutes or texts, and being able to share a large bucket of data however they want.

Even the 1GB Share Everything would cost us more money. We have two iPhones and rarely use more than 500GB of data a month, we use less than 200 minutes per month and the only text messages are the spam ones we get against our will so the Share Everything Plan would cost us an extra $30/month

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Are there any third-party video chat apps for iOS yet? If so, do they work over 3G?

Yes, "Tango" works. It also allows video calls to Android phones. (if they have video chat capability)

This is so ridiculous. As soon as the next iPhone is out, I'm dumping AT&T for Verizon. As a bonus, I'll even get decent coverage outside of the city!

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Even the 1GB Share Everything would cost us more money. We have two iPhones and rarely use more than 500GB of data a month, we use less than 200 minutes per month and the only text messages are the spam ones we get against our will so the Share Everything Plan would cost us an extra $30/month

Which plan are you on now?

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I have no problem facetiming on 3G with iOS 6.0 beta 3. I do subscribe to the 5 GB hotspot plan though.

euphemus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
If anyone from Rogers in Canada is reading this and thinking about pulling a similar stunt, please hold my ****.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
Ok ... this is ridiculous if they won't let us use FaceTime.

Seriously, it's bad enough I have to pay extra to tether (mind you I pay for the data in the first place... so wtf).... but to pay extra to use the data for FaceTime, too? They're going to need to bundle it with tethering at the same price you're already paying or something.

Either that or people will find a way to use it unrestricted (ie. FaceTime via. computer on your tethered network..? kinda gets around them....sorta).

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
I hope AT&T sees this!

I will switch too it this is true!

Just tested and mine works.

Maybe once I toggle it off and on it won't.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Seriously, how are we not going to be able to use the data WE pay for the way we want to use it?

Gosh, what ever happened to freedom in this country.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Awesome. Just like tethering, AT&T wants to TRIPLE bill for the same data!

1) Charge for the data.
2) Charge to actually use the data (tethering, FaceTime, etc).
3) Charge "overage fee" for using data.

Qutaiba

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
thats wrong

i have ios 6 and AT&T and it ON so whoever came up with this thing is just trying to make something outta nothing

touchtone561

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
AT&T vs. Apple

Plain and simple AT&T hates Apple.

AT&T does not like iOS devices or Users. They want to make the iOS experience the worst it can possibly be, so iOS users will migrate off the network.

There is no other explanation.

This is not the first time AT&T has been at war with a vendor, have you notice how few Motorola phones are on AT&T, after the Razr exclusivity they fell out too. Seriously, most stores don't even have active iPhone and iPad on display, just some cardboard cut out.

The problem is the iPhone/iOS money pot is so big they can't truly say goodbye. This is just a bad romance, and the users are the children caught up in the (separation) divorce.

If Adele was an american she would be singing about AT&T instead of that guy. Apple :apple: isn't helping either - constantly changing the SIM design with each major release.:eek:

satyrica

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Long Beach, CA
That said, it's not like any American mobile operator runs a decent network. Even a country like Sweden -- which has a very similar population density to the USA -- has way better cellular service.

Let's not even begin to discuss countries like Japan or South Korea...

Sweden is also about the same size as California. It's the infrastructure, not the amount of people. AT&T has to manage and install hardware/infrastructure for the entire USA. I'm not defending them, but yours is not a valid comparison.

DarkGiftRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Carlstadt, New Jersey
Typical

I wouldn't expect anything less from AT&T. I was using MyFi when I had my old iPhone jailbroken to tether to my iPad while I was out and about till AT&T put the kabash on that trying to double charge me for the data that I was already paying for.

Now as expected, whether rumor or not, I wouldn't put it past these money hungry crooks to try and stuff a little more cash in their pockets at our expense. Now is the time to stand up to these corporate *******s and speak our minds. I'm seriously thinking about another carrier because of all of AT&T's data games.

They can try and double charge us for things we are already paying for and the have us in the full nelson making us say uncle. It would be so much nicer if we were the ones making the demands. Here's one, I only used 154 of my 900 monthly minutes, how about a pro-rated bill or credit for the 746 minutes that I did not use? Yeah, as good as that sounds in theory, you would never see that happening.

I can dream can't I?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Unfortunately the chances of getting out of a contract because of this would be slim to none. You aren't being forced to use FaceTime over 3G, you can simply just use it over wifi. So, any extra charge to use it over 3G would be considered optional which probably wouldn't get you out of a contract. Though there is always a loophole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.