Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Sprint will not do this. Sprint will let anyone use FaceTime over cellular. If you live in an area where Sprint has good coverage, switch to Sprint. I will be now that Verizon has stated that I cannot keep my unlimited data if I want to purchased a subsidized phone when my contract is up.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Did it every occur to anyone that that AT&T put this in place to require explicit user comfirmation and acknowledgement of the data usage that the device would incur? It sounds like they are covering their back legally.

Instead of a parent saying omg my child just used their whole data for the month in the first 4 hours, with 29 days left to go?

Didn't read all 5 pages of posts but everyone is making assumptions. So if AT&T was smart they'd clarify the issue. Of course, I won't assume that AT&T is smart or customer friendly.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
the only thing im still with att is my 30$ unlimited data.. dam you att dam you..not that this affects me but this is for others.. facetime over data networks gets chewed up really quick plus att data plans are a joke and prices suck. in other country data is data they let you use how ever you want its part of your plan..

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Apple is not completely free

*Please correct me if I am wrong

Apple is not completely free of blame here. FaceTime is nothing more then an IP based connection they are doing something in iOS to notify the carrier you are attempting to make a FaceTime call. Apple could just strip that code out and tell AT&T to get bent.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
ATT trying to monetize yet another service? Hardly surprising. For all those jumping ship to another carrier, it's just a matter of time before all of them are doing this. To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't tried to 'work out a deal' with Skype to bring an end to both voice and video calls over 3G yet.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
*Please correct me if I am wrong

Apple is not completely free of blame here. FaceTime is nothing more then an IP based connection they are doing something in iOS to notify the carrier you are attempting to make a FaceTime call. Apple could just strip that code out and tell AT&T to get bent.

You are wrong -- look up "stateful packet inspection". It is as you said just another IP based connection, and can be snooped just like any IP based connection.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
You are wrong -- look up "stateful packet inspection". It is as you said just another IP based connection, and can be snooped just like any IP based connection.

If that is the case why does 3G Unrestrictor, Vtok and Skype work?

I am not saying they couldn't do this but so far they are not(yet).
Also deep packet inspection can be defeated with simple encryption.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I can't seem to remember the last time AT&T did something to delight its customers. Best they have done is made some problems of their own causing a little less bad. For example:

- adding cell towers in NYC to make their completely unusable service only kinda unusable

- raising their throttling ceiling from top 5% of users to a minimum of 2 GB to 3GB on 3G and 5GB on 4G when they originally offered unlimited data

- allowing Slingbox app to work over 3G after denying it for no reason even though the app throttled itself on 3G to prevent excessive bandwidth usage

- allowing tethering on iPhone after not allowing it at all, but still requiring an additional fee and giving up your unlimited data plan

So now they are going to allow FaceTime over 3G after blocking it for years but they are going to charge for it. Even their iPad plans are blocking tethering.

What other business can piss on their customers so much and still turn a profit? It's a clear indication of monopoly power being exerted and the DOJ needs to step in. I am regretting my two-year contract and will be shopping for a new carrier if FaceTime becomes an up charge from AT&T.

What's next? Upcharging for Pandora or YouTube?

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
The money they receive from "FaceTime over Cellular" subscribers will most likely be used for maintaining the fire in hell.

Oh, and don't forget about their new logo!

ATT-Devil.jpg

Last edited:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
If you guys have problem with this, talk to Tim Cook. Anyone recall unlock phone? yes? yes? do the same thing. Have bunch of people email Tim.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm only counting the days until the new iPhone (5) is released and my contract is finished with AT&T. I can't wait to jump ship.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I have a different theory here...

I don't think AT&T is intending to charge for FaceTime. Instead, they probably want people to opt in as a CYA, to be able to say, "We warned you!" when people get huge data bills from having used the service. This allows them to cover bases up front. Call in and be warned that the data usage will be extreme. Then, do as you wish, but don't call them back acting shocked when you get a hefty bill at the end of the month.

Just a theory...

Kris404

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Blame Apple

I totally blame Apple for giving in like this to AT&T.

Also, not sure what Mark Gurman meant by FaceTime uses large amounts of data? Talk with numbers please.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is the stupidest thing ever.

You have one advanced LTE iphone but you can't use any advance features because it is basically crippled by the carrier.

I stand by my previous threads regarding apple to create their own network for their own iPhone. These carriers are just cock blocking flagrantly. I just wish AT&T would die off and never come back.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I'd never even consider doing a video call over 4G, but the idea of restricting what we can use the data for is just stupid.

----------

Yeah, seriously. Imagine if we paid for text messages as data and not text messages? So freaking greedy.

SMS is a humungous ripoff that I just avoid in hopes that it will slowly die out.

----------

The money they receive from "FaceTime over Cellular" subscribers will most likely be used for maintaining the fire in ****.

Oh, and don't forget about their new logo!

If you don't like their service, don't buy it. It's not about greed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.