Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Do you really need to be able to read the menu though? :)

I'd like to order in advance :D Kidding.

But on a serious note, I'm 100% forFlyover; it has the potential to look amazing (and some of it does from certain distances/angles). If one day it could give me the same level of detail, information, and POV of Street View I'd be happy, but it doesn't. Now that's not a bad thing. It's just that without Street View, my maps experience will be sub par, and I believe many people feel the same.

applebro24

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Beta 1&2: San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, Los Angeles, Mountain View, Cupertino, San Jose, Montreal, Copenhagen, Sydney, Melbourne

Beta 3: Denver, San Diego, New Orleans

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I found a list of available 3D cities, in case someone wants to see all of them, it's funny how even cars are 3D modeled

US
San Francisco
Las Vegas
Chicago
Seattle
Miami
Los Angeles
Mountain View (but not including the Google office!)
Cupertino (including the Apple office!)
San Jose including San Jose Airport - this had some nice 3D planes as well as a couple of "ghost" planes, which had presumably moved during the imaging process

Canada
Montreal

Europe
Copenhagen

Australia
Sydney
Melbourne, Australia

Denver has been added in Beta 3.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I found a list of available 3D cities, in case someone wants to see all of them, it's funny how even cars are 3D modeled

US
San Francisco
Las Vegas
Chicago
Seattle
Miami
Los Angeles
Mountain View (but not including the Google office!)
Cupertino (including the Apple office!)
San Jose including San Jose Airport - this had some nice 3D planes as well as a couple of "ghost" planes, which had presumably moved during the imaging process

Canada
Montreal

Europe
Copenhagen

Australia
Sydney
Melbourne, Australia

very poor if you ask me

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The 3D cities will probably be the most eye-catchy add-on to iOS 6 if you ask me.
I sure hope Apple will have expanded the cities to include London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Shanghai, Bejing, New York, Washington D.C., etc.

I wonder how much time it will take....

applebro24

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Las Vegas
The 3D cities will probably be the most eye-catchy add-on to iOS 6 if you ask me.
I sure hope Apple will have expanded the cities to include London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Shanghai, Bejing, New York, Washington D.C., etc.

I wonder how much time it will take....

From beta 1 (June 11th) to beta 3 (July 16th) they added only 3 medium sized cities.

Edit: Not sure if Oakland and Sacramento count as new given their proximity to San Francisco. It seems most of CA is getting the makeover first for obvious reasons.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Strangely it seems Copenhagen is still the only European city.

You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).

Ummm...how many of those tourists will have the beta of iOS6 installed on their iPhones?

And don't you people ever read the map specific threads? C3 is already working on street view. Of course flyover will be available in all of the major cities listed in this thread and not currently available yet in the beta.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Ummm...how many of those tourists will have the beta of iOS6 installed on their iPhones?

True enough. Fair point.

And don't you people ever read the map specific threads? C3 is already working on street view. Of course flyover will be available in all of the major cities listed in this thread and not currently available yet in the beta.

I think you're misunderstanding the thread. Nobody thinks it will never come. We're just wondering when it will come; us iFans being an impatient and exciteable lot.

And it seems odd adding Denver rather than London. Or Copenhagan rather than Tokyo. And so on. Thus I wondered what method they were using to choose the cities they were previewing in the betas.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Honestly, I think they have been updating the larger cities that are currently available via C3 on the Nokia Maps website. The ones I have seen released by Apple seem to be much nicer than the ones they currently have for NYC and London today. My bet is that they are being updated/cleaned up for Apple.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK

Olympic Park is at least on the map and satellite image.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342550368.336577.jpg

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Guys, I'd be willing to bet that the information is already there. IMO, Apple is really only "activating" enough information and layers for the beta program, and will incrementally continue to release more data. Just look at all the improvements in the Map layers over the beta period. I'm sure they'll "activate" at some point the HiRes satellite layer, and all their 3D city layers before or at launch. Remember, they had >100 cities when they first bought the technology.

Plus it will make for better PR if you show this stuff at launch.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
but Satellite and 3D is missing. Basicly no satellite images of Sweden. And even if this is a beta, I highly doubt that they will fill up with good satellite imagery until the release in fall.

That's exactly what they said on the Keynote though. No hi-res satellite images yet, but they will be added in the near future. It's a beta, and there's plenty of time until release date. Just give it some time.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Austin is 3D. I think too many of you are looking at only large/medium size cities. I bet there is a lot more than you know, that aren't big cities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.