Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
Does anyone know if Paradox's Crusader Kings II (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/crusader-kings-ii) will play reasonably well on the new 2012 Macbook Air (with Intel HD Graphics 4000)? It still has Intel integrated graphics obviously, but I understand they're meant to be better than the HD Graphics 3000 on the 2011 model (which aren't explicitly supported by CKII on the Mac, though the earlier Macbook Air NVIDIA GeForce 320 is)

I currently have an early-2008 15" Macbook Pro, but would like to move to something smaller (and don't see the point in the Retina 13" Macbook Pro model due soon, as it won't have dedicated graphics). The only sort of games I really play are strategy games like For the Glory, Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings (have not bought CKII yet), rather than 3D shooters etc., but obviously games like CKII, EUIII do make use of 3D graphics - is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 enough to run these?

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Does anyone know if Paradox's Crusader Kings II (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/crusader-kings-ii) will play reasonably well on the new 2012 Macbook Air (with Intel HD Graphics 4000)? It still has Intel integrated graphics obviously, but I understand they're meant to be better than the HD Graphics 3000 on the 2011 model (which aren't explicitly supported by CKII on the Mac, though the earlier Macbook Air NVIDIA GeForce 320 is)

I currently have an early-2008 15" Macbook Pro, but would like to move to something smaller (and don't see the point in the Retina 13" Macbook Pro model due soon, as it won't have dedicated graphics). The only sort of games I really play are strategy games like For the Glory, Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings (have not bought CKII yet), rather than 3D shooters etc., but obviously games like CKII, EUIII do make use of 3D graphics - is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 enough to run these?

In theory, it is strong enough for CK2.

It will be if you plan on throwing Windows on it through bootcamp.

Until Apple releases drivers that increase the OpenGL support, though, it won't exactly work well on OS X with integrated graphics.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
In theory, it is strong enough for CK2.

It will be if you plan on throwing Windows on it through bootcamp.

Until Apple releases drivers that increase the OpenGL support, though, it won't exactly work well on OS X with integrated graphics.

Thanks, in fact I bought it on Steam yesterday, as they had a 75% off sale on it (ends in about 13 hours...) It does indeed work absolutely fine on Windows via Bootcamp, I tried the Mac version (you get both with Steam) just to see what it was like on, but its currently completely un-playable - not so much lag, as you could make a cup of tea whilst waiting for the screen to update...

Do other game ports not use OpenGL? The Mac OS X port of Dragon Age Origins (which is pretty demanding!) runs absolutely fine on my Macbook Air with integrated Intel 4000 HD graphics

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks, in fact I bought it on Steam yesterday, as they had a 75% off sale on it (ends in about 13 hours...) It does indeed work absolutely fine on Windows via Bootcamp, I tried the Mac version (you get both with Steam) just to see what it was like on, but its currently completely un-playable - not so much lag, as you could make a cup of tea whilst waiting for the screen to update...

Do other game ports not use OpenGL? The Mac OS X port of Dragon Age Origins (which is pretty demanding!) runs absolutely fine on my Macbook Air with integrated Intel 4000 HD graphics

They all use it, but I'm under the impression that Paradox is using a version of OpenGL for CK2 that we don't have the support for (yet). I know that the Intel HD 4000 can, I looked up that their recent beta drivers have support for OpenGL 4.0, but we haven't gotten it yet.

Eventually, maybe.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
They all use it, but I'm under the impression that Paradox is using a version of OpenGL for CK2 that we don't have the support for (yet). I know that the Intel HD 4000 can, I looked up that their recent beta drivers have support for OpenGL 4.0, but we haven't gotten it yet.

Eventually, maybe.

Fingers crossed...

sss4r

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Coming in Mountain Lion?

I have heard from a few sources that the necessary drivers and frameworks will ship with Mountain Lion later this month. Can anyone substantiate these reports/rumors?

amiantos

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
I have heard from a few sources that the necessary drivers and frameworks will ship with Mountain Lion later this month. Can anyone substantiate these reports/rumors?

I'm not sure if this is applicable but I am playing it on a 2010 Mac mini with Mountain Lion GM on it and it seems to be working almost fine... except for the fact that it causes my Mac mini to BSOD (or WSOD, I guess) or just reboot itself at least once every two hours. So, that sucks, but I think it just isn't meant to run on my Mac mini at 1080p, but I force it to anyway.

I think there's for Geforce 330M or something in it, though, and not integrated graphics. Not sure.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I'm not sure if this is applicable but I am playing it on a 2010 Mac mini with Mountain Lion GM on it and it seems to be working almost fine... except for the fact that it causes my Mac mini to BSOD (or WSOD, I guess) or just reboot itself at least once every two hours. So, that sucks, but I think it just isn't meant to run on my Mac mini at 1080p, but I force it to anyway.

I think there's for Geforce 330M or something in it, though, and not integrated graphics. Not sure.

I think its on Intel integrated graphics that have the issue. Its not that the Intel hardware isn't capable - CKII runs smoothly under Bootcamp/Windows on my Intel 4000 HD mid-2012 MBA - I think its some driver compatibility issue under Mac OS X (or a badly written Mac port...)

Whywhat

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
I just bought it figuring it'd work on the MacAir... #fail.

I'm hoping this'll be resolved sooner than later through Mountain Lion. I'm new to the Mac World and just want to be able to have a game other than Football Manager to play on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.