Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tall.jpg

Smaller bottom dock, and headphone jack​
Cydia Blog notes the appearance of "iPhone 5" cases from TVC-Mall that correspond to circulating rumors about the next generation iPhone.

The case design lines up with the many part leaks and schematics that have been floating around for the past several months.

IPHONE5-601B-2.jpg

The appearance of case designs shouldn't be that surprising given the numerous leaks we've already seen. The cases, however, do represent some small level of confidence by Chinese manufacturers that the next generation iPhone will match the circulating rumors. This includes a slightly taller/thinner design with a smaller bottom dock connector and a bottom-placed headphone jack.

The next generation iPhone is already said to be in production for an expected fall launch.

Article Link: Taller 'iPhone 5' Cases Begin to Appear for Sale

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Taken as a group, these case makers tend to be right more accurately than the reporters and analysts. If you start seeing any other companies doing this, consider it confirmed.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Publicity?

I think that they are just producing it for publicity. Even if this design is right, there would be enough time to produce it when they can have more confidence because the amount of leaked parts is big enough - like when the first guts of the 4S appeared. This way though, the company is named in news and rumors and that is worth a lot of money as well.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I seem to remember lots of cases being made last year for a design that never came to be. I'd love it if this were the case (no pun intended) again this year. I'm no a fan of simply stretching the current design a bit in one direction, and the two tone back doesn't look great either.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
There were 2 large case makers in China that made the tear drop cases for the "Proposed" 4s a year ago. I guess they ended up just melting them down for traffic cones...?

I'll believe what the new iPhone looks like when Apple announces it.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Taken as a group, these case makers tend to be right more accurately than the reporters and analysts. If you start seeing any other companies doing this, consider it confirmed.

Except for last year when even casemate was producing cases that were dead wrong.

Edit: I guess I should read all the posts before being redundant.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Please let the new Power/Dock connector be some kind of magnetic MagSafe thing!

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I don't understand the magsafe obsession. The phone doesn't weigh enough for that concept to even work. If you kick the cord, your phone will go flying even if it's magsafe.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I don't understand the magsafe obsession. The phone doesn't weigh enough for that concept to even work. If you kick the cord, your phone will go flying even if it's magsafe.

It wouldn't be really useful for safety of the phone, but imagine how nice the docking experience would be if it magnetically attached.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
What I really hope for is an adapter for the new dock connector from Apple on DAY ONE so that I can keep using my Belkin auto charger dock in my car.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

It's not even about that. Its just much easier to attach than any micro/miniUSB or IPOD Connector. No need to look for the right direction or the hole to put it in (thats what she said), you just bring it close enough for it to attach by itself.

Since i do that every night (and i often do it in the dark after jumping into my bed), it would just be a nice thing to have.

bookwrath

macrumors member
May 24, 2011

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I wouldn't mind if the rumours were correct; the taller design has been growing on me as of late. I'm still not sold with the materials on the backing, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see about that.

Stewie86

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Houston, TX
Aww man. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 and 4S design is great. But after 2 years, I'm used to the usual design upgrade, not just taller. I sure hope Apple is fooling us into thinking this is the design and come up with the actual design at the event. =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.