Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Of course they line up. That's the way these case designs work. Reminds me of the chicken/egg dilemma :)

Except for last year when even casemate was producing cases that were dead wrong.

Edit: I guess I should read all the posts before being redundant.

There were no part leaks for those teardrop cases last year.

arn

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
case

I wish they would finally design a watch that unfolds to this size (swivels too) so the phone can be on my wrist instead of in my pocket and I don't need to find or retrieve it. Put a detachable earpiece / mic along its edge. Why is this so difficult for Apple who has like a million great designers and technicians?
Management?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I still say I'm not buying that design being accurate based solely on the fact that Apple doesn't seem to be doing anything to get the leaked images and such taken down. At the very least this video would be gone if it were in the ballpark of what the finished product looked like.

The fact that they have done nothing to squash the "leaks" makes me think they may not be close to what the final product looks like.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
This design is to melt away...

...so if this design is off, is the material re-modable? I bet so. On a second look, the connector hole seems a little bit big. I can understand that the headphone jack is bigger to allow extra room for the headphone but it should get snug around the original iPhone charger in my opinion. So, my bet is either waiting for the official design in Fall or not going with any cover at all. The latter was my choice the last 1.5 years (even longer counting the non-iPhones) because in the end, a cell phone is a comodity I tend to replace withing 2 years or less. I'm not going to hide the inteded design under ugly rubber. Now, if I would be working some physical labor job - e.g. mechanic or oild field - that would be different, but I'm not. Hence: iPhone, yes you can show off when leaving my pocket! :cool:

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
The taller format makes it impossible to grip lengthwise using your thumb and middle finger, like I'm doing now to read through the postings.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
seems like a weird choice to have the earphone on the bottom of the phone.. seems like it's one of the worst placements it could possibly be.. sure you can turn the phone upside down and the screen orientation will change but not if it's charging.. and you want to wear headphones.. or on a dock..

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
There were no part leaks for those teardrop cases last year.

arn

Yea, I think that hinted towards the blueprint. Blueprints are needed for care design as well, and then get cited to argue the case design aught to be right. Also, since Tim Cook told they are stepping up on security, there is still a chance that when more parts leak, we will have a big "OH!" and "AH!" event where the form factor is different from what we know now. My safest guess will be leaks from software - either codes giving away pixel dimensions or early included and trusted by Apple App developers. In other words, if we see screen shot leaks from e.g. Angry Birds in new dimensions, I'm in on it.

PS: Thanks for deleting the name arguments. They are so balony.

shortenjam88

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
sad

If the leaks of the phone design prove true come this fall, I will be very disappointed. Do I like the supposed design, yeah, it's not the best but it will certainly be an upgrade. My reasoning lies in the realm of Cook's proposed "double down on secrecy" statement during his AllThingsD conference. Basically all I'm saying is I hope Apple still has something truly amazing and magical coming soon and these cases and phone mockups are a controlled leak.

On a side note, everyone thought the teardrop design was a given for the 4s, but I never bought into it. Yes, things can change at any time with Cupertino but the immediate successor to all new designs (3GS) (4S) are for the most part just hardware upgrades.

But, no one knows for sure, Apple can do anything, and in this respect the iPhone is still a very new product to try and gauge if history does in fact repeat itself.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Well, its looking more and more like those rumors are true. It's hard to believe that Apple is actually going forward with this bonehead idea of making the phone taller and not wider, but there it is.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
W-H-O C-A-R-E-S?

Fabricating cases costs little. Those manufacturers don't really care if they get it 100% right. So why are we relying so much on what they think will come out? This used to be MacRumors, not iPhoneCaseRumors.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
i think the next iphone will have color display and a touch screen!
Oh holy Gods of electronic gadgets, let this be true!
respect-058.gif

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Well, its looking more and more like those rumors are true. It's hard to believe that Apple is actually going forward with this bonehead idea of making the phone taller and not wider, but there it is.

Not everyone agrees with you that it's a bonehead idea. As a phone, a longer, thinner form works well—since a wider device becomes more difficult to hold in one hand (especially for people with small hands!), and there is quite a distance from your mouth to your ear (especially for people with big heads!) Let's remember that the iPhone is still a phone.

As for how Apple handles the long screen for apps—I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

What I don't like about the leaked images is the two-toned back. To me it just looks kind of dated already. But if it's durable, and offers great reception, I will forgive them for the ordinary aesthetics.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
seems like a weird choice to have the earphone on the bottom of the phone.. seems like it's one of the worst placements it could possibly be.. sure you can turn the phone upside down and the screen orientation will change but not if it's charging.. and you want to wear headphones.. or on a dock..

That is one down-side to it. It may be to rare to dock it and listen via headphones though.

When you put the iPhone in pants pocket, it makes sense to put it upside-down, with the screen facing inwards (that way your iPhone is right-side-up when pulling it out). Currently, it is awkward when using headphones - the new iPhone will fix that. Also, all cables and major openings will come up one side of the iPhone too.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Where are the volume button spots? This case is stupid.

No, you just need eyes. You can clearly see theres a grooved out area where both volume control buttons are giving the impression that they can be pressed easier than the tougher areas of the case.

Not all cases have 2 separate button pop outs for the vol controls...

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
It became relatively silent around the rumor that Apple would change the screens aspect ratio with the next iPhone.

With no trace of it yet in iOS6, is that still an expected feature?

Hard to imagine how Apple pulls that off without giving developers at least a couple months lead time to adopt their apps?

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
That is one down-side to it. It may be to rare to dock it and listen via headphones though.

When you put the iPhone in pants pocket, it makes sense to put it upside-down, with the screen facing inwards (that way your iPhone is right-side-up when pulling it out). Currently, it is awkward when using headphones - the new iPhone will fix that. Also, all cables and major openings will come up one side of the iPhone too.

I never understood the people that like the headphone jack on top. Not only does it get in the way but it puts stress on the cable connector and the cable head itself. Having on the bottom makes absolute sense and it should have been that way from the get go.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Hard to imagine how Apple pulls that off without giving developers at least a couple months lead time to adopt their apps?

I'm not convinced we're going to see the ratio of most apps change. Widescreen movies I can see using the entire screen. For most apps though, maybe Apple has some UI surprises up its sleeve. App switching? Persistent Dock? Notifications that don't cover up part of the app? Something else entirely? Who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.