Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.

TurnTronics

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Unless they change the form factor and make it significantly thinner (which would be pretty difficult to do considering how tight everything is already) I don't see why they would solder the RAM on an iMac.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
We don't know if we will ever see a new iMac again, and you talk about the soldered RAM?

Just kidding :p — or maybe not? :(

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I'm not laughing at your statement, more the fact that you think we should regard "your mind" as a legit source. ^^

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
You may or may not know, but this guy is always starting threads and leaving comments like this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Unless they change the form factor and make it significantly thinner (which would be pretty difficult to do considering how tight everything is already) I don't see why they would solder the RAM on an iMac.
Agreed. Also, if you think about it, the memory goes into the thinnest part of the iMac already. If they make that part any thinner, it will affect airflow and cooling.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.

You make a totally wrong and totally unjustified assumption about Apple's motives. RAM is soldered on the Retina MBP because it always Apple to save space, which is at a premium in that device. No other reason.

You also get Apple's business strategy completely wrong. Trying to make more money from customers is a strategy that has backfired for many, many companies and Apple knows that. For the last twelve years or so Apple has maintained a consistent strategy where the most important thing is to create products that the customers want. Apple would have to be run by complete morons to think that a strategy that as you say makes their customers cry would make money in the long term, when the completely opposite strategy has turned them from not even profitable to the world's most profitable company in twelve years.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The RAM on the MBA and rMBP is soldered on to save space. They don't need to save space that much on the iMac. I see no credible reason for Apple to go to soldered RAM on an iMac.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.

I have to agree, probably extremely low.

Not to mention now the retina macs come with 8gb or 16gb. Both are more than enough for most people. I have always upgraded my ram in the past because I would purposely buy the lowest amount of ram, since computer companies overcharge for upgrades.

Apple is selling the upgrade to 16gb at a decent price if you ask me. (though I plan to go with 8 since it's more than enough)

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I can see them doing this to the ram but at the same time why would they want totake the only customizable with easy access on their mac? I don't think the will do that. If anything they should lower the priceson ram(kind of hard to believe that too lol) but who knows.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I have been thinking this is how the 2012 iMacs will go for a while, All solid state, potenially no CD/DVD drive, they could make the whole iMac thinner than the macbook air as the screen is embedded in the device rather than being "the lid", apple will introduce it as the iMac Air :D lol

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
So you think it's gonna become like a big iPad on a stand? Or a unibody retina MBP sans keyboard on a stand? I can kinda see that. The continued convergence of all Apple hardware and software. The post-PC era.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I see no credible reason for Apple to go to soldered RAM on an iMac.

Well, for one, Apple would reap the monetary benefits of all memory upgrades, many of which now go to third parties. If the average memory upgrade costs $100 and you charge $200 and you sell 5M iMacs, that's a cool $1B in added revenue at a 100% gross profit margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.