Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
So if you know, why ask about London?! :S

What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.

Apologies, I read your question as to why London isn't 3D at all, not just in the beta. In fairness you hadn't made it clear you were aware it was in 3D, so you could have been a bit clearer.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
This may be new in the last two days. I checked Phoenix on Monday and it wasn't 3D. Constant updating as opposed to new cities with with new betas...?

Makes sense. It's a server-side option. Maybe they are slowly ramping up to test the load on servers

numble

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Alhambra, California
San Gabriel, California
South Pasadena, California
Parts of Pasadena, California

Actually, a lot of the suburbs east of Los Angeles....

Last edited:

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Yeah the 3d is server side because I was on beta 2 yesterday and the "updated" cities were indeed in 3d before I installed beta 3 last night.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?

I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 155

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!

The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.

Exactly. There's been many changes already since beta 1. The high res satellite images already covered. The loading times are most likely down to being in beta. Some people here are just closed minded a naysayers I think.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Yes, don't get me wrong. Vector is definitely the way forward for mapping in the future. But Apple's effort is not yet comparable in quality to Google Maps, either in terms of the quality of the source data or the quality of how it is displayed.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012

It. Is. Beta.

B.
E.
T.
A.

Over the last 2 beta versions there were large changes to the app. Just wait for the final release before you judge.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Could you guys check Toronto / Mississauga .

Sorry if I missed an earlier post about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.