Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Glims; the sole reason I won't upgrade to ML until the upgrading is good. Can't believe Apple hasn't got favicons in the tab bar and doesn't allow more than x tabs to fit without scrolling through them.

Any reports of glims working in safari 6?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Glims; the sole reason I won't upgrade to ML until the upgrading is good. Can't believe Apple hasn't got favicons in the tab bar and doesn't allow more than x tabs to fit without scrolling through them.

Any reports of glims working in safari 6?

I am running the "Lite" version of Glims on Safari 6. It works absolutely fine.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for this. So much grey when you have multiple tabs open, can't believe safari doesn't even have favicons in the tab bar natively when all other browsers do!

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for this. So much grey when you have multiple tabs open, can't believe safari doesn't even have favicons in the tab bar natively when all other browsers do!

Yes - that's now the only reason I run Glims!

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Because it completely ruins the clean interface.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Having icons instead are words (and sometimes non-descriptive depending on how bad the site is coded) are cleaner to me. Also it makes it easier to navigate around tabs when you have a bunch open.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Were you referring to sites made in 1995?

In all my personal browsing i may not get an icon 1% of the time. Any site in the last few years will have them. Even web building platforms have upload buttons for them and even iOS icons for devices.

If every modern browser has this feature and glims adds this feature then something is right about this.

Apple displays icons in the URL bar. Is that 'clean design'? Having icons help functionality and very much fit in with the look. After all you are 'looking' at a branded website.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
You are right Musio, although with every iteration of Safari it loses its missing features. This is the main reason I use Glims now. Every other mod I need can be accomplished by extensions.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
This
tabs.png

VS

glims.jpg

You're welcome to have it look anyway you want. I know what i'd rather have - the one that's easier to navigate for me. If you want grey as it makes your wall or floor, then great. I think people who only use with a couple of tabs are the kind that are making these throw away comments without thought to usability. If you're someone who works with multiple tabs, you start to think about this and it helps when moving between them.

Reason077 - outdated technology? Favicons has great support in the HTML5 spec. Check posts above - modern browsers supporting this as well as web design hosts and iOS web page icons when you add them to your home screen. Far from 'outdated' and more like very much expanded...

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I installed glims just fine. It's actually my first time using it and I'm liking it so far. I do like gray since the favicons right now are way too big and distracting. And if you have 25+ tabs like me, you are going to notice them instead of the web content.

The feature I like the most is the "focus last tab selected" option. Saves me time searching for my last tab every time I close a new tab. I also like that I can type in "wiki Lion" and the address bar automatically searches wikipedia for Lion. Good plugin!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.