Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miran

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
According to TUAW (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167720/retina_ready_mac_apps_are_on_the_way.html) the following apps were updated (I've omitted ones already on the list)

Apps: Mint Quickview, TextExpander, VoodooPad.

Games: Call of Duty, Civilization V, Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4, Call of DutyStar Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II (and Diablo III obviously).

Logoist and SpamSieve have also been updated for the retina display (http://prmac.com/release-id-45546.htm and http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/spamsieve-2.9.3-mountain-lion-retina-display-support-q312/ respectively)

Blizzard also confirmed "full retina display support" for World of Warcraft coming in the next patch (http://blues.wowraider.ru/blue/us2/5642272075/WoW-on-retina-display?)

Last edited:

photosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
Has anyone had any luck installing this? The App Store doesn't have it yet so I followed their instructions on the Evernote site but the link is for 3.2 and not 3.3(Retina version).

3.2 has retina support, and the install worked for me:

Version 3.2.0 (06/28/2012) build 300088
Improvements
Activity Stream
Notifies you of changes to your shared notes and notebooks
Helps you discover new and powerful features
Updated interface for the new MacBook Retina display
Joining a shared notebook automatically syncs it to your Mac
Fixes
Fixed keychain issues
Improved image copy and paste from Evernote to other apps
Fixed shared notebook sync issues
Numerous other fixes and stability improvements

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
A couple notes on CoverSutra:

The album art on the desktop looks great -- it's getting rendered in a Retina-aware way. Likewise, the pop-up music control window is nice and sharp. The notifications from the menu bar are fuzzy, though.

The author said on Twitter that sandboxing/Mountain Lion was a higher priority than Retina, so there may not be much change on that front in the near future. It's pretty good as-is, though.

http://twitter.com/sophiestication/status/220549795524251648

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
so what was all that in their forums about being compatible with retina? I 've been asking about this a while back, as I can't figure out what they are going to do, they can't go with os x 's text rendering, so unless windows 8 comes around with proper retina support they can't do much, can they?

use freezerez to get your mac in native mode to disable pixel doubling, run windows 8 on a retina display. boom.

the perfect world scenario here would be being able to isolate the VM from the rest of OSX's display rendering...

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I'm not sure whether its relevant or not but on Windows, you can easily choose 2880x1800 in several latest games: NFS The Run, GTA 4 or Crysis 2.

BTW X-Plane 10 looks incredible in retina res. The only problem is that UI is really tiny.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
I'm not sure whether its relevant or not but on Windows, you can easily choose 2880x1800 in several latest games: NFS The Run, GTA 4 or Crysis 2.

BTW X-Plane 10 looks incredible in retina res. The only problem is that UI is really tiny.

Its not that you can't select 2880x1800 that would make a game retina ready, its the way the UI scales. So just because you can set it to 2880x1800 doesn't mean anything.

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Its not that you can't select 2880x1800 that would make a game retina ready, its the way the UI scales. So just because you can set it to 2880x1800 doesn't mean anything.

These games are retina ready. You can select 2880x1800 res and everything (including UI) scales nicely. The problem is, as I mentioned before, latest X-Plane 10. So if you want to play "retina" game, NFS, Crysis 2 and GTA4 are retina ready.

malone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008

I think we'll probably keep the list limited to Mac applications/games, otherwise we'll have to start factoring in Windows 8's high-dpi mode and any applications compatible with it.

But you're right--a number of games do support 2880x1800 with UI scaling.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
use freezerez to get your mac in native mode to disable pixel doubling, run windows 8 on a retina display. boom.

the perfect world scenario here would be being able to isolate the VM from the rest of OSX's display rendering...

Well that's the thing isn't it, can you?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
As of Wednesday, July 25th:

Numbers, Keynote, and Pages (all of iWork suite) has been updated to be enhanced for Retina display, to take full advantage of the retina resolution with text and graphics. I noticed this when checking my app updates today via App Store, all of the iWork apps have been updated released today.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
How does Logic Pro look on the Retina display? I have been holding off on buying it, but I noticed it hasn't been updated since March. I am guessing it has pixellated text and UI elements, and looks just as good as Reason and Ableton Live, which also have not been updated for the Retina display.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
adobe cs6 programs would fall excellently under the last category you have there. UI is a bit blurry, but much of the text is excellent.

I'll go into more detail (what programs look best) if you want.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I don't know why but after updating my rMBP to ML, it seems both Pixelmator and Photoshop crashes on me upon creating a new file.

Does any of you have this problem?

malone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
FYI, to anyone following this thread, I replaced my rMBP with an MBA a couple of weeks ago. I was keeping the list up to date till now, but I'll leave the rest in your hands (and maybe the OP's?).

Enjoy! :)

fredhicks

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
adobe cs6 programs would fall excellently under the last category you have there. UI is a bit blurry, but much of the text is excellent.

I'll go into more detail (what programs look best) if you want.

Can't say as I agree when comparing text from any CS6 product I have installed (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) to text as rendered in a retina-ready product. The anti-aliasing is very obvious; to qualify for that last category, the text should be as crisp as you'd see it in print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.