Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I'm pulling my hair out over this one as I'm sure SOMEONE out there has made an app for this.

What I'm looking for is the same functionality that the Google+ app employs but without the downsizing of photos and using Dropbox instead of Google+ albums.

For those who don't know, when you turn on "Instant" uploads on in Google+, any time you run the app, it will check your Camera Roll and anything new in there since the last time you ran G+ will begin uploading in the background for as long as you have the app open and for a short time after the app is closed. Unfortunately it downsizes photos to 2048 (I believe) pixels in it's largest dimension. I also prefer to have the actual files synced to my computer instead of just sitting in an album on the net at a reduced resolution to boot.

The Dropbox app itself provides for full size photo and video uploading but it does not automatically happen when opening the app and worse, I have to select what I want to upload which means I have to try and remember what I already uploaded and what I haven't.

I'm looking for a mix of the two. Automatically knowing what has already been uploading so that it knows what still needs to be uploaded. No reduction in image size. Dropbox (or Google Drive) as a storage medium.

If anyone knows of something that meets these needs, you will be my hero.

specik

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I'm pulling my hair out over this one as I'm sure SOMEONE out there has made an app for this.

What I'm looking for is the same functionality that the Google+ app employs but without the downsizing of photos and using Dropbox instead of Google+ albums.

For those who don't know, when you turn on "Instant" uploads on in Google+, any time you run the app, it will check your Camera Roll and anything new in there since the last time you ran G+ will begin uploading in the background for as long as you have the app open and for a short time after the app is closed. Unfortunately it downsizes photos to 2048 (I believe) pixels in it's largest dimension. I also prefer to have the actual files synced to my computer instead of just sitting in an album on the net at a reduced resolution to boot.

The Dropbox app itself provides for full size photo and video uploading but it does not automatically happen when opening the app and worse, I have to select what I want to upload which means I have to try and remember what I already uploaded and what I haven't.

I'm looking for a mix of the two. Automatically knowing what has already been uploading so that it knows what still needs to be uploaded. No reduction in image size. Dropbox (or Google Drive) as a storage medium.

If anyone knows of something that meets these needs, you will be my hero.

I don't know of anything that will properly do this except Photo Stream that's built into iCloud on your device. With iOS 6 (when it's released in the fall), it's possible to have shared photo streams with your friends and even access them through the iCloud website.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does it work from the phone or do you have to teether it from your computer? That is the only time I have seen it pop up for me.

What about iCloud and photostream? I haven't used it yet but I thought that was it was supposed to do. No?

Starting with version version 1.5 Dropbox for iOS will automatically upload your photos from your phone to your Dropbox account.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I turned it on ad when I left the house I got the notice that it stopped because no wifi. but I just now opened the app after a week and noticed it just started uploading again. it only starts uploading when you open the app.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I turned it on ad when I left the house I got the notice that it stopped because no wifi. but I just now opened the app after a week and noticed it just started uploading again. it only starts uploading when you open the app.

It will continue to run for a time after you close the app, but only a few minutes. This is a limitation imposed by Apple (iOS) and not the app. You can read about it here.

----------

Gotcha.... Thank you, I was unaware of this. This is great!

After you install, make sure you upload 3GB of photos and Dropbox will add 3GB of space to your account for helping them test the app. You do have to use the automatic iOS uploader (not manual) to get the free space though. See this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.