Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I've been using the Nexus 7 heavily for the past two days instead of my ipad 3. It's been mainly a positive experience so far. Here are my impressions of the device and android experience:

Pros:

- Very light weight holding it in one hand.

- Screen is very nice - not retina quality but pretty good nonetheless.

- Overall build quality is great. Does not feel like a $200 device.

- Being able to install apps that Apple would never allow.

- Multiple App stores and being able to sideload apps.

- Many apps and games are free (ad supported) in the Google Play Store.

- Adobe Flash - Yeah I know that flash sucks on mobile but it is a nice option to have. Not officially supported in Jelly Bean but was able to sideload it.

- Great as an e-reader using the B&N Nook app. (this is my primary use for the nexus 7).

- Jelly Bean - Scrolling and pinch to zoom are very smooth. Have not experienced lag in the UI.

- Google Now - is not as personal and whimsical as Siri but is incredibly accurate in it's responses.

Cons:

- Screen size is not optimal for a tablet - I found certain tap targets to be too small. Apple really nailed it with the 9.7 in screen size on the ipad.

- Although it is easy to hold - I wish there was a bit more of a bezel to hold on to in the vertical orientation.

- The home screen does not rotate to horizontal mode without hacking it.
You can load alternate launchers to add this functionality.

- App quality - Although there is no shortage of apps in the Google Play and Amazon stores, the apps that do exist lack the general polish exhibited by their IOS counterparts. Most of the apps in the Play store are phone apps and are not tablet optimized. What's even worse it that there is no way of knowing with any certainty which apps in the play store are tablet optimized and which ones aren't. At least in the IOS app store there is a clear separation between iphone and ipad apps.
The tablet optimized apps that do exist in the Play Store are generally good. There just aren't enough of them. I am hopeful with the increasing popularity of the Nexus 7, developers will create more tablet optimized apps.

- Paid apps in the Play store are typically more expensive that their respective IOS versions.

Conclusion:

All in all the Nexus 7 is a great device. For a person who does not already own a tablet and wants to spend less $$$, I can wholeheartedly recommend it.That being said, the ipad 3 is still an all-around better device. The ipad 3 has a better screen, higher quality apps, and a more cohesive OS in my opinion. Whether the ipad 3 is $300 better I am not so sure. For me having both devices is very redundant and I am still on the fence on whether I am going to keep the Nexus 7 or return it. I have 12 more days to decide.

Last edited:

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I'm getting my Nexus 7 today and pretty excited about it. I like the Nexus line because it will be the least fragmented of the android devices. My primary use will be as an e-reader for technical docs on the cheap (cheaper than iPad anyways). To me I would closer compare this to the Kindle Fire of which this destroys in almost any category you can come up with. The iPad 3 is definitely superior in most ways (especially quality apps, android is definitly behind here) and if I had some extra $ would get that, but for the $200 the Nexus 7 is a no brainer and an excellent little tablet.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
great post! thanks
- Jelly Bean - Scrolling and pinch to zoom are very smooth. Have not experienced lag in the UI.

ive been considering an sIII or something of that nature. The scrolling and lag has been my only concern :) so thanks for the feed back on that.

i might switch to an LTE sprint device soon.. tired of my throttled iphone4s. Hmmmm

thanks again for a great informative post.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
In this particular case, the Nexus 7 is an appealing device to iPad owners almost as much as it is to non-iPad owners. It really looks like the 7" tablet done right and with such a low price tag then I know many iPad owners who are buying this just to try out Jelly Bean. And considering all the people who shoot down 7" tablets without even trying one out, there's a line of iPad owners who want to give it a fair shot before we start praising/dismissing the idea of a smaller iPad.

Obviously you have no interest in the Nexus 7, but let's be honest here, Apple hasn't given us much to talk about in the iOS world.

Last edited by a moderator:

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
ive been considering an sIII or something of that nature. The scrolling and lag has been my only concern :) so thanks for the feed back on that.

i might switch to an LTE sprint device soon.. tired of my throttled iphone4s. Hmmmm

The S3 is a nice device but has Samsung's touchwiz skin. If you going android for your next phone, you should wait for the 2012 Galaxy Nexus with stock Jelly Bean.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
In this particular case, the Nexus 7 is an appealing device to iPad owners almost as much as it is to non-iPad owners. It really looks like the 7" tablet done right and with such a low price tag then I know many iPad owners who are buying this just to try out Jelly Bean. And considering all the people who shoot down 7" tablets without even trying one out, there's a line of iPad owners who want to give it a fair shot before we start praising/dismissing the idea of a smaller iPad.

Obviously you have no interest in the Nexus 7, but let's be honest here, Apple hasn't given us much to talk about in the iOS world.

And Google hasn't given you that much to talk about on Android either. Both are mature operating systems now and are going to update incrementally. What is really groundbreaking about Jelly Bean other than it finally behaves like a proper mobile OS that doesn't hang up when you swipe the screen?

You know what? Don't answer that. I'll just comb the MacRumors threads on my own and find all of the new features. That's all this forum really talks about at the moment.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
And Google hasn't given you that much to talk about on Android either. Both are mature operating systems now and are going to update incrementally. What is really groundbreaking about Jelly Bean other than it finally behaves like a proper mobile OS that doesn't hang up when you swipe the screen?

You know what? Don't answer that. I'll just comb the MacRumors threads on my own and find all of the new features. That's all this forum really talks about at the moment.

you'd swear someone has a gun to your head and is making you get on the forums, much less threads regarding android os.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Thanks OP for the thoughtful and informative look at the Nexus 7. It is nice to hear from someone that has owned both.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012

I've tried the S3 and it's definitely not as smooth as the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I really like mine. It's a lot of tablet for $250. Yes, I love my iPad, but Live Wallpapers and widgets just pop on the Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean. I've even noticed a significant improvement in touch responsiveness and accuracy.

And I have access to a real file system. Yay!

BTW, iCab browser has really solved a couple of issues I have with the iPads closed file system. Took some steps, but I could upload files to a website though the browser. The gap is closing...

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Yes, I was hoping that my Nexus 7 experience would be helpful to others contemplating buying one. I am glad that some people like yourself can appreciate a thoughtful discussion about a competitor's product. The last thing I wanted is for this thread is to turn into an IOS vs Android flame war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Yes, I was hoping that my Nexus 7 experience would be helpful to others contemplating buying one. I am glad that some people like yourself can appreciate a thoughtful discussion about a competitor's product. The last thing I wanted is for this thread is to turn into an IOS vs Android flame war.

I've owned both the iPad and have a Nexus 7. I completely agree with the review. One thing I would add, after using iOS for so long, I hate the autocorrect on Android.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I was enjoying my N7 until I found out about the glass separation issue. I may revisit it after the problem is fixed.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
My Nexus 7 is collecting dust while I hammer through my day and night with my iPhone and iPad. It's a waste: nobody needs tweeners.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I've been using one for a couple of days now and I love it. It's my first foray into Android and I must admit I'm very impressed. I've never really liked the look of the Android OS, I always felt it looked a bit cluttered and cheap somehow but having used it I can see the benefits of widgets and screen customisation and it feels more open and amenable than iOS.

The tablet itself is great quality and not just "for the price". It feels a lot more premium than the price suggests in my opinion. For me the form factor is perfect. I have an iPad 2 but never really want to take it anywhere because of it's size and the fact that I feel really self conscious getting it out in public (particularly in the area I live!).

Overall I'm really impressed with the little fella and my wife is even more so as she now gets to play with the iPad.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I really like mine. It's a lot of tablet for $250. Yes, I love my iPad, but Live Wallpapers and widgets just pop on the Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean. I've even noticed a significant improvement in touch responsiveness and accuracy.

And I have access to a real file system. Yay!

BTW, iCab browser has really solved a couple of issues I have with the iPads closed file system. Took some steps, but I could upload files to a website though the browser. The gap is closing...

What you do with your Samsung android tablets?

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I don't get it. I also don't know why I have to read 8 gazillion Nexus 7 and Galaxy SIII reviews on MacRumors. I don't come here for Android news and reviews.

I'm wondering the same. I don't understand the recent trend where people review, ask for suggestions and so on, abour non Apple devices on something called macrumors. Some non Apple products are great, but I don't see why they need to be discussed REGULARLY here.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I'm considering a Nexus 7 purely as a e-reader, my parents have both got iPad's and i'm not a Android phone person [AT ALL] but I'd consider the Nexus 7 for reading e-books as the size is much better for this purpose than a 9.7" tablet.

The only downside I see to it is the content to purchase from google isn't available outside the USA yet. big downer. A Kindle app and the price would be perfect though.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I am very interested in reading the info. on the Nexus 7. Sometime in the next couple of months I'm going to get a Nexus 7 or an iPad mini if one is introduced. I have an iPhone and iPad 1 but really want a tweener (as someone labelled it). I basically carry my iPad with me everywhere I go now but would really like something a little smaller but still a tablet. I see myself using the Nexus 7 and my iPad together. My iPad will be for watching Netflix and using Pages and Numbers while the Nexus will be for reading, browsing the web and email. I am really hoping Apple comes out with a mini, since I have so much invested in Apple and am a iCloud user but if not or if it is too expensive I will go with the Nexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.