Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi! I fixed up a 1st gen iPod to use, and everything works fine except for the battery. I know it's not replaceable, but I've seen external batteries for other iPods, even though they have the different types of connectors. So, is there any battery that I could connect through the iPod's FireWire port to use? I'd be fine with any answer, even a confirmation that there is no such thing.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Yeah, at this point it's probably best to replace the unit's battery. You can get new batteries on eBay or other websites, although I don't know for certain how good they are. It's also moderately easy to replace the battery yourself, or at least easier than the newer Classics.
Secondary batteries using the dock connector are pretty common, but I think it's a bit late in the cycle to get a firewire one, especially considering only the first gen iPod used a direct firewire connection.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago

Yeah, at this point it's probably best to replace the unit's battery. You can get new batteries on eBay or other websites, although I don't know for certain how good they are. It's also moderately easy to replace the battery yourself, or at least easier than the newer Classics.
Secondary batteries using the dock connector are pretty common, but I think it's a bit late in the cycle to get a firewire one, especially considering only the first gen iPod used a direct firewire connection.

Oh, I thought the battery was unreplaceable on the 1st-gen iPods. Thanks!

I think I might've already solved it though. Somehow, after I upgraded the hard-drive inside, the battery life suddenly jumped from 2 minutes to 4 hours :confused: .

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Okay, it's now not recognizing the hard-drive 1/2 of the time, so I'm now upgrading it to CF. Also, it occasionally makes a grinding sound.

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
The iPod touch is a little smaller and weighs a little less than the iPhone. But the iPod touch has a battery that lasts a little longer than the one on the iPhone.

I heared that The iPod Nano comes in seven colors and its battery lasts for 24 hours of music playback.

Thanks for the relevant info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.