Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I have no doubdt that apple is using different manufacturers displays for the retina MacBooks.

The first one i bought was way too dark and text was blurry most of the time. the white was more of a grayish tint. a month later, a replacement has a far superior screen in more ways than one.

I was able to compare them side to side. world of difference.

It seems there is no way to check display manufacturer now (using terminal). or is there?

anyone else have similar experiences with their displays?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Well it certainly would explain why some users are complaining about ghosting, inconsistent tints, and lack of brightness, whereas others (like myself) have a superb display. There are different codes for the displays, that were discussed in another thread...

Bill Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
when i run the command in terminal. all i get is "COLOR LCD"

no codes like before. i wonder if they took the ability to check out so people couldn't complain.

does anyone know how to check display manufacturer on retina macbook?

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
when i run the command in terminal. all i get is "COLOR LCD"

no codes like before. i wonder if they took the ability to check out so people couldn't complain.

does anyone know how to check display manufacturer on retina macbook?

The first day I tried it, I only got COLOR LCD, I tried a couple days later and it worked. So I'd say keep trying the terminal command.

Bill Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
no luck. just COLOR LCD.

does anyone know the different manufacturers?

because the old one looked like an lg and this one looks closer to a samsung.

Bill Hicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
the difference between the two was literally night and day.

noone knows how to identify display?

advaitan

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

this will work... LP is LG, LSN is Samsung

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
^my screen is perfect (so far) and a LG. Funny I returned 3 top of the line LED LG's last year.. and ended up getting a Sammy Plasma..

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Which is more desirable? I have LSN

Hard to say at this point since there isn't much data, but from my subjective experience having originally a Samsung and now an LG that replaces it, I preferred the Samsung. The screen was a little brighter.

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
^ these screen get more then bright enough for me.. I'm usually 6 bars from the top.. all the way up and the whites hurt my eyes.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
I've got an lg...i use it mostly in clamshell mode with a tb but i haven't noticed any problems with it.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I've got an LG and it has serious image retention and very mild light leakage around the edges. Otherwise it looks great. BTW, I've never seen an LCD with no light leakage, but I assume some must exist since people talk about it so much.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Is it possible Samsung is purposely sabotaging the displays they send to Apple? My guess is yes.

gekoo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Tokyo
i got a samsung too. Nothing wrong with it. But I do wish it was a little bit more whiter. So far my iPad looks more white than this but I'm not really complaining about my luck.

Glenn.eu

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Got the LG, only remark i have is that it is a little dark when using it during daylight (not direct sunlight). I have to turn it all the way up when using it on sunny days indoors.
Rest of the screen looks perfect.

Queen6

macrumors G4
When the Late 2011 Air was launched there was literally frenzy over the display, due to there being two venders LG & Samsung. Some even were even posting here on MacRumors how they could return their Air with a LG display, before the machine had even arrived. Ironically when AnandTech reviewed the display`s they recommended the LG by a hair surprise, surprise the hysteria evaporated. If by any means LG display`s are inferior to Samsung`s Apple would never use them in the first place.

Every display is different both venders will equally provide good and bad units, the only difference being the bad ones will generate noise on forums such as this, with many jumping to conclusions. My own 2.3 Retina has to all intents and purposes a perfect display within the context of a portable, no dead pixels, no ghosting and only being slightly dimer than my Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7, however as it`s an LG Philips panel I had better consider returning the Retina in the hope of a better, brighter Samsung :rolleyes: dont let the madness start to spiral. The more you dig into these things the more OCD triggers in some, if your display has fault return the machine to Apple dont be concerned with the background detail. If your display has no fault then enjoy it and dont worry that another venders display will make your life more harmonious, it wont.

Andandtech
"The credit Apple deserves for the display extends beyond simply pushing LG to get a panel out on time and in large enough quantities."

"In practice however Apple has delivered tightly integrated IPS panels with wonderful performance characteristics as a part of the Retina brand. I do hope that for the years to come Apple does not compromise on these fronts."

As the individual you must filter the content of the internet very carefully, everyone is a "Pro", everyone is an "expert", for the most part they are not, some are well informed, most are not. If you need help to make a significant purchase, or qualification on hardware, wait for a recognised source, not the kid with 10 minutes hands on in Best Buy ;)

----------

Which is more desirable? I have LSN

See it`s starting already :rolleyes:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
^my screen is perfect (so far) and a LG. Funny I returned 3 top of the line LED LG's last year.. and ended up getting a Sammy Plasma..

That's more to do with LCD vs Plasma than LG vs Samsung.

I would think in the case of this laptop, LG would be better. Does Samsung even make IPS displays? I was under the impression that they only do MVA. I know LG manufactures most of the high end IPS displays out there

AndersBrohus

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Denmark!
My screen is perfect! I love! :D

It's an LG as far as i can see

When i pasted the code into an terminal window it says

Color LCD
LP and some numbers and letters..

So as i see it then its a LG ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.