Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I have the latest MacBook Pro, the latest OSX and iTunes, ATV2 with the latest update and a Time Capsule. My Time Capsule provides a wireless network for my laptop. I have my ATV2 connected to my Time Capsule via an ethernet cable. I have my ATV2 connected to my TV via HDMI and my TV connected to my home stereo via a fiber optic cable. My favorite thing about this setup is being able to listen to my music on my stereo and the sound quality is great (though it is a little annoying that I have to have my TV on to do it).

I'm not sure when it stopped working, but I am no longer able to play a song on my iTunes while using my MacBook Pro and have it play via AirPlay-to-ATV2 on my stereo. When I cue up the song and choose "Living Room Apple TV" from my list of options in iTunes, iTunes gets stuck "Connecting to Apple TV". And it never connects.

Now the weird thing is, if I go to my Apple TV and choose Computers and go to my music library, I can play whatever songs/playlists/etc in my iTunes. I can also use the Remote app on my iPhone to choose my songs (which was great during my party on Saturday). But if I am just sitting at my laptop, I can't ask my laptop to directly send the song to the ATV2. So it's working in one direction but not the other.

Any ideas? Is it because I have my ATV2 tethered to my Time Capsule via the ethernet cable? Should it be all WiFi?

I really don't know what has changed. What am I doing wrong? I have Home Sharing turned on and I have AirPlay turned on. As far as I can tell, everything is set properly.

mclog

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Thought I'd bump this thread, I have exactly the same problem. If I open the remote app, it show's my ATV2, my ATV3, and my iTunes library. If I use the iTunes library, I can AirPlay to the ATV3, but the ATV2 won't take the connection. If I select ATV2 then iTunes library, it works.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thought I'd bump this thread, I have exactly the same problem. If I open the remote app, it show's my ATV2, my ATV3, and my iTunes library. If I use the iTunes library, I can AirPlay to the ATV3, but the ATV2 won't take the connection. If I select ATV2 then iTunes library, it works.

I'm having the same issue as well. Wired 1080p version of the Apple TV. Stuck at "Connecting to Apple TV" from iTunes. Anyone solve this?

marshy

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
I'm having the same issue as well. Wired 1080p version of the Apple TV. Stuck at "Connecting to Apple TV" from iTunes. Anyone solve this?

Exactly same problem for me. Wired 1080p AppleTV and MacBook Air running over WiFi...

Looks like it's caused by an IPV6 issue on the Mac/OS X end...
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/24/how-to-get-airplay-working-when-apple-tv-is-hooked-up-via-ethern/

Turning off IPV6 on my MacBook solved it for me. Hopefully Mountain Lion will fix it properly...

Last edited:

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Thank you for the suggestion, but turning off IPv6 did not work for me. But then the instructions did not exactly match what I was seeing on my MacBook Pro. They say to select Airport in the list on the left. I did not have that option - mine has WiFi. I assumed this was the same thing and proceeded. But when I disabled IPv6, the internet connection on my laptop stopped working. One other suggestion was to use my ATV2 wirelessly instead of connecting to ethernet, but I don't think it will stream as well.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Interesting. Too soon to tell if this solved my problem, but I tried a couple of things just now. First, I reset my Apple TV. (Last time I tried restoring which took longer.) Then, when I set up my Apple TV, I changed a couple of things. First, I gave my Apple TV a new name - one that was different from what I called my original Apple TV. (I was thinking that maybe my iTunes was confused since I gave them both the same name.) I then created a password for my AirPlay which I had to enter into iTunes when I asked it to connect to my Apple TV. (iTunes can save the password, so I won't be prompted every time.) And it works! I'm back in business.

My guess: changing the name did it for me. But I've had success before. After I restored, it worked and then it stopped working soon after. I'm not convinced this will continue to work - so we'll see. I'll let you know.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
OK - so it has stopped working again. I tested it for awhile and it was working. I even tried putting the Apple TV to sleep and restarting my iTunes but it connected right back to it, no problems. Hours have passed and I have since been watching regular tv and not listening to music. So my Apple TV put itself to sleep. I thought I would give it another test and when I went to iTunes, I saw that the Airplay was still lit/blue showing that it was connected to my Apple TV but when I tried playing a song, it said it could not find my Apple TV on my network and asked if I should use my computer to play the song. I then tried waking up my Apple TV and tried again, no luck. Now I am back to the Connecting to Apple TV dialog box that spins and spins. Is this something to do with my laptop going to sleep or something to do with the Apple TV going to sleep? I feel like if I were to restore my Apple TV I would get it to work again. Very odd.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just tested with Mountain Lion and it still doesn't work. AirPlay Mirroring works, but AirPlay from within iTunes just times out.

Verified that everything still works fine from iOS devices as well.

This is really frustrating.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
continues to fail

Again, if I am in iTunes and I try connecting to my Apple TV to listen to music on my stereo, no luck. It just spins and spins and never connects. But if I choose AirPlay Mirroring of my laptop, it works. And even the AirPlay symbol in my iTunes turns blue. I find it odd that this issue continues. Yes - I tried rebooting my internet and my router.

eolus

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Hi all

I am having the same issues with my IMAC and ML. The thing is, and I want to ask you if you re experiencing the same problems, that my airplay in Itunes works properly when streaming Photos or videos but the only thing that is not able to stream is music. It keeps connecting to my apple TV. I have to say that my Imac is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable so is the Apple tv. When my Imac is connected through my wifi even music is streamed correctly.
Has anyone any new ideas to try out.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.