Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
I installed Spotify on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.7.4) and then decided to delete it. I used AppZapper and dragged the app file to it. Now I cannot empty my trash with the Spotify app. How do I delete this file? When I try to empty the trash, I get a never-ending status bar trying to empty. I attached a screenshot of the file in my trash I cannot delete.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-23 at 1.42.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-07-23 at 1.42.49 PM.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 132

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I installed Spotify on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.7.4) and then decided to delete it. I used AppZapper and dragged the app file to it. Now I cannot empty my trash with the Spotify app.
It's possible Spotify has a component that's still running. In most cases, app removal software like AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
It's possible Spotify has a component that's still running. In most cases, app removal software like AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

The file is still in the trash and I get a never-ending status bar saying it is preparing to empty the trash. This is getting very frustrating. Also tried holding down the Option key while emptying trash.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The file is still in the trash and I get a never-ending status bar saying it is preparing to empty the trash. This is getting very frustrating. Also tried holding down the Option key while emptying trash.
Follow the instructions I posted.

Rowbury

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Still No Luck

Followed the directions posted by GGJstudios. I found a lot of extra Spotify gunk that I added to the trash, but now instead of the "Empty Trash" being frozen with 2 items, it's frozen with 26. I went back and was able to delete everything but the Spotifyinstaller.zip and the Spotify (with a circle with a line through it).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Followed the directions posted by GGJstudios. I found a lot of extra Spotify gunk that I added to the trash, but now instead of the "Empty Trash" being frozen with 2 items, it's frozen with 26. I went back and was able to delete everything but the Spotifyinstaller.zip and the Spotify (with a circle with a line through it).
Restart your Mac and try emptying the Trash again.

PastorKen

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Northern Minnesota
Frustrated Too

I have followed everything on this thread with exactly the same results. Everything is deleted except two files: Spotify(with a circle and line through it) and Spotify 9.56.11 AM (Same circle and line through). With either of these files in the trash it hangs. Have to leave them on my desktop. Rather unsightly . . .

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have followed everything on this thread with exactly the same results. Everything is deleted except two files: Spotify(with a circle and line through it) and Spotify 9.56.11 AM (Same circle and line through). With either of these files in the trash it hangs. Have to leave them on my desktop. Rather unsightly . . .
Take a screen shot of those items and post it.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Deleting Spotify...

Have you tried Goggle? I entered "delete Spotify from Mac" and there were several posts on how to do this. The first one, from Yahoo Answers, distilled the procedure from the Spotify site and provided the URL for that info.

Anyway, at least there might be people to contact that would hopefully have a solution to your specific situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.