Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
You think average CPU Core temp at idle 60C is normal? Finder at 9.14.50 PM.png

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Absolutely.

If your iMac thinks otherwise it will ramp up the fans or failing that simply shut down to protect itself.

Unless your iMac fans are roaring constantly, it's well within the normal operating range for your CPU.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Doesn't seem particularly problematic - as others said, your CPU fan is running reasonably slow, so the system doesn't think it needs extra cooling.

How hot does it get when doing real work? If you get to 100deg C, that might be worrisome...

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
That's slightly higher than average, but it's summer there right? I guess it's understandable then. If in doubt, you can always install SMC Fan Control to manually increase your fan speed and cool down your system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You think average CPU Core temp at idle 60C is normal? View attachment 349279
Quite normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Thank you all for your answers but i think i have problem with my iMac the Core temperature is too high with 10% usage goes to 80 C I occasionally mod my computer maybe something is not connect well i dont know:confused:

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Thank you all for your answers but i think i have problem with my iMac the Core temperature is too high with 10% usage goes to 80 C I occasionally mod my computer maybe something is not connect well i dont know:confused:

That doesn't seem right. I am not at my iMac at the moment(2009 27" i7 2.8GHz) but IIRC my idle temps are down in the 40's C with fans bumped to 1500rpm with iMac Fan Control. Inlet air is about 25C. I prefer running my fans at a slightly higher minimum RPM to improve long term reliability of the CPU/GPU at expense of "maybe" needing to replace a fan at a later date due to 25% extra revolutions. I can't even hear my fans at 1600rpm so noise is not an issue for me in my environment.

I believe at full load I am only getting in the 60's C at which point I have iMac Fan Control spinning the CPU fan up to about 2400rpm.

http://www.derman.com/iMac-Fan-Control

I will see if I can run a few experiments and capture some screen shots for you.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
That doesn't seem right. I am not at my iMac at the moment(2009 27" i7 2.8GHz) but IIRC my idle temps are down in the 40's C with fans bumped to 1500rpm with iMac Fan Control. Inlet air is about 25C. I prefer running my fans at a slightly higher minimum RPM to improve long term reliability of the CPU/GPU at expense of "maybe" needing to replace a fan at a later date due to 25% extra revolutions. I can't even hear my fans at 1600rpm so noise is not an issue for me in my environment.

I believe at full load I am only getting in the 60's C at which point I have iMac Fan Control spinning the CPU fan up to about 2400rpm.

http://www.derman.com/iMac-Fan-Control

I will see if I can run a few experiments and capture some screen shots for you.
You watch CPU Heatsink or Core temperature?

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Problem solved.I clean the internal and change the thermal paste with IC Diamond 24 Carat.Now i see a 12C drop.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I guess the "problem" is solved based on how or what YOU define as a problem.

The temps you showed back in July would, most likely, never cause a computer problem for you.

OTOH - that temp bothers you and you have solved that problem.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I guess the "problem" is solved based on how or what YOU define as a problem.

The temps you showed back in July would, most likely, never cause a computer problem for you.

OTOH - that temp bothers you and you have solved that problem.
I live in a sunshine country and the ambient temps are high I use my Mac mainly for HD editing in a pro level I render in premiere CS6 many hours and i saw temps close to 90C the first ten minutes so think I had a problem firstly in system health and secondly in performance.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Approaching 90 degrees C under heavy rendering load is not unusual nor shown to be problematic.

So you are now running cooler - you feel better - that is cool.

SuperCyborg

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I thought modern CPUs were supposed to be "efficient"?

My average CPU temp right now at idle is 25c with a 20c ambient temp. The highest its ever been is 70c.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I thought modern CPUs were supposed to be "efficient"?

My average CPU temp right now at idle is 25c with a 20c ambient temp. The highest its ever been is 70c.
What CPU do you have?Mine has the i7 Core.

----------

My older iMac with an i5 idles at aroud 50C. I'd be worried about 60c idle. Are you sure its not doing something in the background?
Yes I'm sure I don't use any fan control app I run at stock fan speeds did you see my ambient temp?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.