Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Any "source" that calls the next iPhone the iPhone 5 is a moron and should be discredited immediately.

iphones.jpg

It's simple really.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
The shrunken 32nm A5 would work great in the iPod Touch to meet the thinner design and smaller battery compared to the iPhone 4S. I just hope they use an identical configuration as the iPhone 4S (800MHz CPU, dual core, 512MB RAM) rather than the single core AppleTV configuration which would just cause more fragmentation.

I'm thinking the cameras will be upgraded to a 720p front camera (such as OV9724 or OV9740) for FaceTime HD over WiFi and a 1080p (2MP photo) fixed focus camera (OV2722) for the rear since OmniVision seems to have these cameras now available in similar z-heights (~3mm) to the current iPod Touch cameras making them relatively straight forward upgrades. I do hope even if the iPod Touch doesn't get an IPS screen, it gets an oleophobic coating. How much cost can that coating actually add considering the major usability improvement it makes? The iPod Touch should also get a digital compass since the WiFi iPads have always had it so it's not tied to cellular functionality unlike GPS.

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2009
Isn't the back of the current gen iPod's stainless steel with a chrome finish? Which makes sense, chrome is hard wearing, thats why they use it on piston rods on shocks and struts.

And buffed aluminum is a really silly way of saying polished aluminum, which is great for window trim on old cars, not so great on the back of a device thats going to see a lot of abuse.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
WTF! No Mirrored Metal Backing!!!!!

How am I supposed to comb my hair and use it as a mirror. What has this world come to.

I hope this is true. if it is

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
With the Nexus Tablet having a 7 in. 1280x720 display, a quad core CPU, and a very good Tegra 3 GPU for just $200, the new iPod will have to be really cheap to even be in the race. Frankly, I am surprised Apple would even consider releasing a new iPod touch at this point.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Now THIS looks good, unlike the other mockup. But why does the home button look all dirty, and why does it look like it's a picture taken in low light?

Last edited:

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Great news for the Carolla foundation White Kids Who Don't Have iPhones. I say, when iPod Touches are this good, just let them have the bloody Touch.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Honestly, this iPod Touch and the iPod nano mockups are ugly.

On a separate note....

The report's source also indicates that there is an additional hole in the lower portion of the rear shell, separate from the camera found on the current model. It is, however, currently unknown what the function of the hole will be.

I have yet to meet a hole that I did not find a use for. ;)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Don't you mean "Not sure if not serious or just stupid."?

And I don't see what's so stupid about wanting an iPod touch with 4G. I'd take that over an iPhone that comes with SMS and phone calls, which are both useless. It's probably never going to happen because of the cell companies.

iDroe

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
It's not going to look like that. That looks like a full body cheap mirror screen protector.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Is it just me or does that home button look just awful? 0.o

It's not just you. And why did the renderer put a Phone app on there? Has this guy never used an iPod touch?

----------

Wouldn't it just be an iPhone....?

No. It wouldn't even be a phone.

----------

"buffed aluminum shell"

FINALLY.

iPods look terrible after a while because of the back.

Really? I love the current iPod touch back, but I wouldn't mind it being buffed aluminum. Everyone has their opinion. I still like the original iPod touch design :)

----------

Meh, I feel like the 4 inch iPhone/iPod and the 7.85 inch iPad Mini rumors is all we talk about. How about OS X Mountain Lion? I'm ready for that :D

There have been plenty of articles about ML. I tried it, and it doesn't seem that revolutionary. Sure it's great, but nothing to go crazy over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.