Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If the battery life is much better than all the other models I would finally have a reason to upgrade my 2nd gen iPod Touch since I am still repin' the flip phone.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
It's simple really.

Yep. So simple I see an iPhone 4S with the number 5 under it, so way to invalidate you're own argument.

The only thing that's simple is you people with your ridiculous arguments as to what the damn phone will be called. It's a name. Apple can name it whatever they want and the prevailing trend is that people are already naming it the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6. Get over it.

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
The lower hole????? Hmmmm My guess is an optical joystick/mouse??? Could be used for scrolling or as directional control for games... If apple ever added a controller I would image it beIng something like that...

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I have this theory that is probably crazy, but has gotten some support today with word of redesigns for the iPod line that seem to make them more like iPads, and another mention of a refreshed iPad (in addition to the mini). I think it's possible they are going to effectively retire the iPod line this fall, kill all but the touch and nano, and rename those remaining two models as iPads instead of iPods.

The impetus for major change is the death of the 30-pin connector. It supports the idea that the iPad will get redesigned to account for it, and Apple might possibly make a few other tweaks to improve performance. If they're looking to draw attention to their "all new line of iPads," they'll want everyone to perceive the top-line model as being brand new as well.

You can all but bank on them finally axing the iPod classic and, since it lacks a screen or iOS, probably the iPod shuffle along with it, realigning their lineup as follows:

iPad (current gen): $499
iPad (last gen): $399
iPad mini: $299
iPad touch: $199
iPad nano: $99

Another possibility is that Apple could begin to brand their iPads like televisions--by their screen size--in which case we'd have the iPad 8", the iPad 8" (previous gen), the iPad 6", the iPad 4", and the iPad 2". This would be a subtle nod to the forthcoming iTV, which presumably will come in at least two screen sizes and have similar branding.

The iPod line contributes almost nothing to Apple's sales at this point. Nobody buys iPods any more, except for the devoted. And that's not a good reason to continue the line, especially with Apple shifting into the TV business next year. Notice how iPods are not part of the Apple displays in stores like Best Buy. They're elsewhere in the store. (So are iPhones, admittedly, but for a good reason: need a carrier.) Converting them to iPads might spur new interest in these products, since everyone wants an iPad but not everyone can afford them. This might even be an effective hedge against the sea of major tablets coming out this year from Google, MS, and Amazon.

Also, Apple will not want to keep products with the old connector in the lineup longer than they have to be, which I think also supports a modified iPhone 4S with the new connector coming with the new iPhone this fall. That paves the way for removing the 30-pin connector from Apple's lineup entirely a year from now, and leaving it only on the iPhone 4 until then.

(In keeping with that timeline, I'm fairly sure the MagSafe 2 will have completely replaced the MagSafe 1 in a year, unless Apple holds off a little longer than that to replace the Thunderbolt Display with a Retina Display due to panel availability.)

Last edited:

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Siri is not a marketable feature for a highly portable Wi-Fi device IMHO. It would be hard to explain what's better about this new model without giving it a different form factor. The last iPod touch had a Retina display, and for all the hype around Infinity Blade, most App Stores games are still relatively casual and easy on the CPU.

the wifi iPad is getting it, no doubt the mac will get it within the next year.. why not the iPod touch? just like downloading apps and watching you tube, people will learn that it needs wifi for siri.
and given the market of iPod touch, I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it on the iPod touch

Newtype

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Vancouver BC
Wow lots of news today. Feels like Apple's line-ups are getting out of hand. Hope to see Apple simplify their line-ups and phase out iPod lines in favour of iPad, iPad mini and iPhone.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Yep. So simple I see an iPhone 4S with the number 5 under it, so way to invalidate you're own argument.

The only thing that's simple is you people with your ridiculous arguments as to what the damn phone will be called. It's a name. Apple can name it whatever they want and the prevailing trend is that people are already naming it the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6. Get over it.

...because it's the 5th generation. Did a chart with 5 iPhones confuse you?

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
128 GB RAM & I'm In

Am I the only one who expects there to be and desperately wants there to be a 128GB RAM option? I didn't read pages 2 & 3 but nothing on page one even mentioned RAM capacity as a feature they were interested in. It's the only feature that would get me to pull the trigger on the new iPod Touch. And I mean that in the sense that it's the only reason I never bought the current iPod Touch.

IE More Storage Space is the number one and only reason I would buy the next iPod Touch. :p I'm still on the 3rd generation 64GB model and have no need for any features beyond more space. The rest is all bonus gravy for me. Need more space for more music inside one iDevice please. And that goes for the iPad mini, the new iPhone (don't expect it) and the next iPad as well - including, if possible, a Maxi iPad 3.5 later this year. 64GB is NOT ENOUGH storage space for all things iOS. All my iDevices (I own 7) are FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL, FULL and FULL.

Last edited:

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
The only update I see hapenning

...is maybe a processor, camera and retina upgrade. What I would LIKE to see is 32gb minimum storage and camera.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I wonder how they would price the next gen touch.

If rumors are correct that the so called "iPad mini" would be around the 200-300 price range, then the new touch would be around 100-150.

But now, where does that leave the nano which is priced around 110-120?

That nano should be $50

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What do we really need is an updated iPod Classic. iTouch is for kids.

The iPod Classic is for pirates :p
Or people who just have a @#$%-load of CDs...
Or people who spent $60,000 on iTunes songs.

My dad actually has too much music for a Nano and puts it all on a 60GB 3rd-gen iPod (now called the Classic), but he only uses that to power a home music system and easily fits all of the desired songs on an iPod touch or iPhone. Who needs that many songs on the go?

----------

...because it's the 5th generation. Did a chart with 5 iPhones confuse you?

Calling the difference between the 3GS and the 4 a "generation" and also calling the difference between the 4 and the 4S a "generation" is illogical if you think about it like a ruler. You'd be using the same unit of distance to denote a 1" space and a 3" space. You could easily call the 4S "generation 4 and a half". It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Of course, if they did that and called the 3GS "gen 2.5", the next iPhone would be called the "iPhone 4", but we could just assume that Apple is not going to do that.

Last edited:

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
The iPod touch community is kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet. It's like an iPhone with training wheels. They don't need an update because soon they are older and get their own damn phone. Come on Mom, I'm going to college, how am I gonna call you and ask for money.

Or it could be people in my case that already has a cell phone from work like a crack berry and doesnt need another celln phone with a typical $100 bill per month attached to it. I really hate it that camera is total crap in my 4th gen iPod touch. Apple really dropped the ball on that one feature. Looking forward for the new iPod touch to have a 5-8 megapixel camera. The camera is super handy to have. I wouldn't have thought.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
...is maybe a processor, camera and retina upgrade. What I would LIKE to see is 32gb minimum storage and camera.

You want there to be less options for storage? And it already has 2 cameras.

----------

Or it could be people in my case that already has a cell phone from work like a crack berry and doesnt need another celln phone with a typical $100 bill per month attached to it. I really hate it that camera is total crap in my 4th gen iPod touch. Apple really dropped the ball on that one feature. Looking forward for the new iPod touch to have a 5-8 megapixel camera. The camera is super handy to have. I wouldn't have thought.

Thank you. I also think that the iPhone is not very useful. The iPod touch is basically an iPhone minus the dumb scams that people are still attached to, phone calls and SMS.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Looks a bit like the Samsung galaxy s and s2

(don't shoot me!:p )

You're right, but it also looks more like an iPod touch 4th gen. Not to point fingers here, but there may have been a little "inspiration" from the iPod touch 4 in the S design.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
As others have said...many of us want everything the iPhone has other then the voice plans.

In a few more years...voice plans wont even exist (as we are seeing now). Most are no longer communicating via voice. It's mainly text/messaging/factime for many and that doesn't need a voice plan.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
The iPod touch community is kids whose parents won't spring for an iPhone yet. It's like an iPhone with training wheels. They don't need an update because soon they are older and get their own damn phone. Come on Mom, I'm going to college, how am I gonna call you and ask for money.
Please, get off your high horse.
I'm a junior in college and the iPod Touch has been one of the best devices I've ever owned. It's all the awesomeness of an iPhone (it acts as a flashlight, plays games, records voices, takes pictures and videos, plays music, syncs with my iCal events, wakes me up in the morning, boasts a sexy retina display, and lets me surf the web when I don't want to pull out my laptop) except it doesn't have the phone. For some people, like myself, that's a GOOD thing!
I already have a phone. It's a cheap flip-phone with a pay-as-you-go plan. I don't want to be ball-and-chained to a 2 year contract, even if it does have 3G!
For me, the iPod Touch provides nearly all the capabilities of an iPhone (in some ways it's inferior) but at a reduced cost. It's a VERY useful digital Swiss Army knife that doesn't weigh the user down with monthly payments and contracts and data plans and all the other crazy stuff modern phones drag along with them these days.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
finally, Apple will change ipod back. I really hate the back like mirror. if this is true, I won't need case but screen protection. it will be miniature of ipad look if it is true. I really love to buy it. my ipod touch is second generation. I still use it to listen to music mainly. it's time to replace old one. but I still hesitate to make a choice between ipad and new ipod touch. nowadays I really hit to retina display ipad.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
So wait, just a 4" expanded screen like the original iPhone 5? Still 960x640? I'd be fine with that. I just don't want more than a couple resolutions to deal with. Then we'd be no better than android in terms of consolidation.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Please, get off your high horse.
I'm a junior in college and the iPod Touch has been one of the best devices I've ever owned. It's all the awesomeness of an iPhone (it acts as a flashlight, plays games, records voices, takes pictures and videos, plays music, syncs with my iCal events, wakes me up in the morning, boasts a sexy retina display, and lets me surf the web when I don't want to pull out my laptop) except it doesn't have the phone. For some people, like myself, that's a GOOD thing!
I already have a phone. It's a cheap flip-phone with a pay-as-you-go plan. I don't want to be ball-and-chained to a 2 year contract, even if it does have 3G!
For me, the iPod Touch provides nearly all the capabilities of an iPhone (in some ways it's inferior) but at a reduced cost. It's a VERY useful digital Swiss Army knife that doesn't weigh the user down with monthly payments and contracts and data plans and all the other crazy stuff modern phones drag along with them these days.

Yep. Agreed.

I just wish Apple would offer the latest gen iPhone as the latest gen iPod touch and let users decide if they want an iPhone or iPod Touch. Same device, same everything other then the iPhone just has the voice capabilities while the Touch would have 3G/4G/Wifi.

LET US DECIDE.

But we know Apple won't cut off their own best seller in the iPhone by putting out a version that isn't tied to a voice plan.

I wish they would though.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You're right, but it also looks more like an iPod touch 4th gen. Not to point fingers here, but there may have been a little "inspiration" from the iPod touch 4 in the S design.

I know, I know. Thinking about it it actually reminds me more of a mobile we'd have seen maybe 3 or 4 years ago. The rounded sides remind me of the iPhone 3G. I'm pretty sure that someone like LG or HTC had a similar design with a carbon-fiber style pattern on the back. Cant for the lift of me think which handset it was tho as there are simply so many that it would be impossible to make a device not look like it was based on someone elses work, even though its highly unlikely that it was.

I am liking the new look tho. I've got a 4th gen iPod Touch and I'm not a fan of the design, it feels very unfinished and slapped together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.