Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I am having the weirdest thing happen to my iPhone 4S i have ever seen before. Its almost like its a virus! There is a test message in my inbox that just said "Unknown" and nothing more. It keeps coming back, have reset my phone, deleted it, deleted all messages, wiped inbox, etc. please see pics below.

When i go to the Messaging app I see this (note the one that says Unknown)

1pb7rm.png

now I delete the message, and you see that its gone below:

16bft6s.png

I now go to the home screen and then open the messaging app again.... and boom, its right back there.

1pb7rm.png

It does not matter what I do, its keeps coming right back....

This is what it looks like if I open the message... there is not there..

x5s08z.jpg

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
What happens when you reply to it? Can you reply then delete and see what happens.

When I open it and try to reply or type something in there and hit send... its just crashes. the messaging app just closes automatically and goes to the home screen. so weird.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
That's really strange. Can you closed the app from the home screen by double clicking on the home key, then shutting it down and restarting it.

You mentioned RESET in your original post, how about just RESTORING it? Have you tried this?

Last edited:

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Wait, he got a weird text message, restoring is a little overkill, maybe just a bug, or he might be screwing with us. Also a restore backs up your text messages.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Try this... delete the message, but without going to the home screen do a hard reboot. (Pressing the on/off button at the top and home button simultaneously for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo come up). Once your phone is fully turned on see if the message is still there.

Oh yeah and make sure you take the stickers ninja :)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I had this happen to me a couple of times on my email. It usually happens for a day or so then stops. I think it's either data issue or the email server. Never had it happen on messages tho.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sounds more like a bug then a virus. Where you expecting a text at about the time you got that? Maybe someone sent you a message when the bug occurred.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
A google search will show this happens often.

Do a COLD reboot. That should clear it. Has for a few phones that I have fixed.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
A google search will show this happens often.

Do a COLD reboot. That should clear it. Has for a few phones that I have fixed.

COLD means just turing the phone completely off and then back ok right? ...tried this 3 times and nothing.

...just take to apple or verizon and act like I have no idea whats up and get a new phone? haha

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I got it! See solution below...

How to fix this problem if it comes up:

1) double it home button and kill the messaging app
2) open the messaging app
3) delete the message that says "Unknown"
- do not close the app...
4) after the message thread is deleted, hold the top lock screen button & then slide the button to turn off phone.
5) wait a few min and turn back on..
6) double it home button and kill the messaging app again
7) open messaging app again and boom.... gone!

beauregard

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Southern California
Check Address Book

I wonder if you have an entry called "Unknown" in your iPhone's address book.

When I get a text from someone not in my address book, their telephone number displays.

By the way, I'm an AT&T Wireless subscriber. I occasionally get spam of the form "Congratulations, you won a $500 gift card at ...". Anyway, AT&T has a policing mechanism in place - you can forward these messages to 7726 (which spells out SPAM on a telephone keyboard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.