Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I bought an Apple TV today solely for mirroring as my tv already has netflix built in.

I have 55inch sony led. No matter what settings i try i get boarders on all sides.

Any 1080p material i play lags.

Also there seems to be a bug, sometimes when i have mirroring turned on, anywhere i click it clicks to the right of it, hard to explain. Say i click a icon on my desktop, it actually acts like i clicked on the icon 3 to the right of it.

I really hope you get true full screen soon.

Anyone been able to get 10.8 mac to Apple tv without any boarders?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I bought an Apple TV today solely for mirroring as my tv already has netflix built in.

I have 55inch sony led. No matter what settings i try i get boarders on all sides.

Also there seems to be a bug, sometimes when i have mirroring turned on, anywhere i click it clicks to the right of it, hard to explain. Say i click a icon on my desktop, it actually acts like i clicked on the icon 3 to the right of it.

To get mirroring without borders, you must select the option in the Display prefs that says best for Mirroring, then experiment with the "OverScan" option.

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
To get mirroring without borders, you must select the option in the Display prefs that says best for Mirroring, then experiment with the "OverScan" option.

I only get options for best for airplay, best for buil in display and scaled.

All those give boarders :-( maybe its down to the tv. This tv i have only got released 2-3 months ago.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I only get options for best for airplay, best for buil in display and scaled.

All those give boarders :-( maybe its down to the tv. This tv i have only got released 2-3 months ago.

There should be a check box at the bottom of the screen for overscan. Uncheck it.

Also your TV should have options which help with the same thing.

It is one of those two. I had the same problem with my MBA - fixed by using best for TV resolution and unchecking the overscan checkbox at the bottom.

EDIT: Also any full screen video you play from your browser will most likely lag. At least mine does using the 2011 MBA. I'm not sure about full blown MBP units with their quad core processors.

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
There should be a check box at the bottom of the screen for overscan. Uncheck it.

It is one of those two. I had the same problem with my MBA - fixed by using best for TV resolution and unchecking the overscan checkbox at the bottom.

EDIT: Also any full screen video you play from your browser will most likely lag. At least mine does using the 2011 MBA. I'm not sure about full blown MBP units with their quad core processors.

Thanks for the reply. Unchecking overscan actually makes my image smaller. I can use different tv settings to mess with the picture size but it never gets it perfect always cuts the top and bottom or has borders everywhere.

Thanks anyway, i literally tried every settings.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This is what I had to do with my Vizio.

The CPU is not the bottleneck for AirPlay. It's most likely your wi-fi. I have crappy bandwidth and ATV needs to buffer a lot.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i have a new 2012 Samsung SmartTv and when i select best for airplay i get it full screen with no boarders.

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
i have a new 2012 Samsung SmartTv and when i select best for airplay i get it full screen with no boarders.

Weird thing is when i use minidisplay to hdmi my sony tv has the picture perfect, where as my LG can not produce even a half decent image.

Man it looks like the tv itself also has to be right :-(

russty67

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016

[doublepost=1478389342][/doublepost]have you tried re-setting the aspect ratio on your tv. Just had the same problem aspect ratio was set on 4.3 i reset it to 16.9 and works fine now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.