Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Kinda...

Yay!
I'm on my first Mac so who can help me out here...

I currently have Lion, and I have a bunch of photos and some movies stored locally. Do I have to back everything up before running the update? is this going to be a fresh install?

You should ALWAYS back up your stuff before an upgrade.

But no, this isn't a fresh install unless you specify so. Standard setting is to upgrade.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes

I created a Lion USB and did a clean install via my USB. (Download Lion, go into disk utilities, tinker around, etc).

Will it be the same with Mountain Lion? Can I download, create a Mountain Lion USB... and then do a clean install via that USB?

I'd like to do a 100% clean install on my SSD, etc.

Yes. I've seen it done twice with the GM. Two devs.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
I have used my code for buying a new Mac and found it!

Searching the App Store now and I can't find it, but using my redeem code it shows this!

:D

Attachments

• OS X Mountain Lion.png
    OS X Mountain Lion.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 180

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
It is just £13.99 in the UK, that's a brilliant price.

I am hoping in vein I feel for an iMac release tomorrow.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I should know this but I don't!!! I recently bought a Mac so I am entitled to a free copy of Mountain Lion. How do I get the free copy?

Thanks.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
I'm excited for a new useable OS to play with (Windows 7 + 8 is awesome too). At $20 to upgrade, it isn't a bad deal. Hoping it doesn't interfere with my Fusion'd Windows 7 and Windows 8 VM's, but thats what backups are for. :D

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Those of us that got in early on the redemption code yesterday only to have it shut down before we received our email with the code for ML...I wonder if we will get the email tomorrow, if we have to reregister, or if we do reregister if it will state that our serial number has already been used?

I am such a pessimist.

kpress3

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I've been waiting for ML since I got my rMBP!! :D

Oh, by the way I'm a new poster on here, but have been reading the forums for over a year. Very helpful on everything!

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Those of us that got in early on the redemption code yesterday only to have it shut down before we received our email with the code for ML...I wonder if we will get the email tomorrow, if we have to reregister, or if we do reregister if it will state that our serial number has already been used?

I am such a pessimist.

That's what I'm worried about. I shouldn't have touched it :mad:

HornetMontana

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
Who?

Shall I be the first to suggest that Cook did not make the announcement on the call, but rather the CFO, Peter Oppenheimer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.