Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
I just Purchased the new MBP 13" and I will be updating it to ML when it comes out. What would the advantages of an Apple TV be compared to getting an adapter and using an HDMI cable?
money is not playing a factor into this decision btw.
will the Airplay Mirroring be smooth on it? like will I notice a drop off in quality compared to using an HDMI cable? I have pretty fast internet.
Just looking for some input, please and thank you.

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I am currently using an older 17 MBP via the

1)digital optical port out for pass thru audio from MKV files, and an HDMI adapter hooked to the mini display to provide the MKV video out to an HDMI port directly to the WS TV.
With my particular AVR, the 3 HDMI ports allow HDMI, analog, optical. This means that an older MBP like mine needs the 2 separate outputs Video to the WS HDMI and digital audio to an optical input on the AVR. Thats why my connections seem a bit convoluted.
In your case, the mini display with adapter, I understand some adapters dont pass audio so get a name brand one, will enable you to use the one HDMI cable to an input on your AVR and you will be GOOD TO GO.
For many months, I sent the movies either from my iPad or from iTunes via wifi to the atv2. The most obvious thing is that you CANNOT get DTS sound this way. The ATV2 will downmix it to Dolby, a good dolby, but NOT dts. Using the direct connection like you envision and like I do now ensures DTS and excellent 5.1 A good AVR will also know how to create some sort of surround with most any movie with lesser tracks. I KNOW the sound is better what with DTS and unprocessed 5.1 tracks. I am convinced the video is better also, but that is of course subjective. I dont use full MKV files. I create them with HB set to 1792 or 2048 and have done higher like 2560, but not sure its worth the size. 1792 or 2048 sure seems good and gives about 74 to 78 % of the original video and of course ALL the audio. Good Luck.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
1)digital optical port out for pass thru audio from MKV files, and an HDMI adapter hooked to the mini display to provide the MKV video out to an HDMI port directly to the WS TV.
With my particular AVR, the 3 HDMI ports allow HDMI, analog, optical. This means that an older MBP like mine needs the 2 separate outputs Video to the WS HDMI and digital audio to an optical input on the AVR. Thats why my connections seem a bit convoluted.
In your case, the mini display with adapter, I understand some adapters dont pass audio so get a name brand one, will enable you to use the one HDMI cable to an input on your AVR and you will be GOOD TO GO.
For many months, I sent the movies either from my iPad or from iTunes via wifi to the atv2. The most obvious thing is that you CANNOT get DTS sound this way. The ATV2 will downmix it to Dolby, a good dolby, but NOT dts. Using the direct connection like you envision and like I do now ensures DTS and excellent 5.1 A good AVR will also know how to create some sort of surround with most any movie with lesser tracks. I KNOW the sound is better what with DTS and unprocessed 5.1 tracks. I am convinced the video is better also, but that is of course subjective. I dont use full MKV files. I create them with HB set to 1792 or 2048 and have done higher like 2560, but not sure its worth the size. 1792 or 2048 sure seems good and gives about 74 to 78 % of the original video and of course ALL the audio. Good Luck.

That makes sense and I appreciate it.
and seeing as how when I'd be mirroring it'd likely be to watch a stream or something of that nature or playing a movie in VLC, I really won't need the laptop right there with me so I could afford to hook it up to an adapter and leave it by the TV. and I'll likely benefit from increased quality.
any suggestions on brands for the adapter?

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
BTW I am going to do exactly what you are doing

as soon as I decide if I want a mac mini or something like the 13 MBP of the later vintage. Has to be later because the earlier ones did NOT output audio over the mini display.
As to brands, I only remember reading that on this forum. I would think the apple would be fine, I have the rocket fish because I found it a few bucks off. I havent been able to test it with audio because my 17 mbp doesnt speak :) The video out through it however is flawless....
So good luck with your set up. I am following you VERY soon. It will be so great to just plop it down and hook up one cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.