Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Hello.
I apologize ahead of time, as I realize there are probably already a handful of threads that ask similar questions.
I've been interested in an AppleTV for a while, and I have a little extra cash this month (and there are some refurb 3rd gens on the store).

Airplay for audio streaming interests me as I have a huge collection in iTunes and listen to music nonstop (and am super excited about Mountain Lion opening up Airplay for system audio so I can listen to Spotify and Bandcamp streaming). But I already have an Airport Express.

I have no cable or dish subscription, so I watch primarily Netflix. But I already have a a slim PS3.

Anything that I can't find on Netflix I rent from iTunes or watch on individual streaming sites (Comedy Central, Hulu, etc). But I have a mini display port to HDMI adapter to connect my 2011 Macbook Air to my Samsung TV.

Anyway, it seems like AppleTV could do all of these things a little better than what I already have, but better enough? Is there anything better about watching Netflix or iTunes rentals on an AppleTV vs. a laptop connected to the TV?

If any of the three devices I use for this stuff (the PS3, Airport Express, or HDMI adapter) were to break, I would buy an AppleTV in a heartbeat.

For a moment, iTunes in the Cloud seemed like a really killer feature to stream anything I own to the AppleTV, but that would mean turning the TV on to pick out music, which then immediately is less appealing. If only there were a way to say "AppleTV, play album Veckatimest" without having to turn the TV on...

I am fine with "if you don't think you need it, you don't need it" as an answer. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an interesting feature I was leaving out or a significantly better way to do what I already do.

Thanks!

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
I'm not sure the Apple TV necessarily does those things better, but more conveniently? Yes. For what you described, the advantages that Apple TV has is being quick, easy, and above all wireless. I have an Apple TV and an iMac running ML GM in my room, and all I have to do is click on the small Airplay icon at the top of my screen to instantly stream whatever I'm watching on YouTube, iTunes, Hulu, Crunchy Roll, etc. No wires, no hassle. If you're streaming iTunes content, you can airplay the iTunes video in full-screen to your TV, minimize iTunes, and still be able to work on your PC rather than leave it connected to your TV.

You don't really need to bother with turning your Apple TV on or off--it's basically always in sleep mode and it will turn on instantly when you tap a button on the remote or attempt Airplay. I used to always use my PS3 for Netflix streaming, but I find it quicker to just watch via the Apple TV now because it boots up instantly. My only complaint is that the Netflix interface isn't as good as the one featured on the PS3, Wii, 3DS, etc. but it still gets the job done. I use my Apple TV fairly often and don't regret the purchase. You may have something to gain from buying one since it alone does everything that your PS3/Airport Express/HDMI adapter does.

Anyway, you really don't need one as it's just an added convenience. It really comes down to whether or not you think the $100 price tag is worth it.

Last edited:

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Doesn't sound like it's necessary for you at all. I'll save the $89 or whatever it is for the refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.