Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Somebody posted a link where 75% of Apple's income is for the iPhone and iPad and iPod. That can be good and can be bad. Less than 15% of Apple's revenue comes from Macs. If I were a Mac diehard, I would be really worried. But on the other hand, Apple doesn't seem to have the heart/balls to kill the Mac line so it will probably live on forever....it would be like McDonalds no longer selling fries...the golden arches logo is just synonymous with fries just as Apple is synonymous with Macs.

14% of 34 Billion in revenue is about 4.76 Billion in revenue from the Macs alone, in one quarter. To cut that off would be sheer stupidity. I think you fail to realize just how much money is being made on the Macs.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Can you please tell me one game changing/disruptive device that has come from Google ever?

Project Glass.

https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147/posts

Besides, Google is an Internet and a software company, making gadgets is a "hobby" for them. You know, just like a certain product that sold millions of units still is only a hobby for a certain tech company with a fruit logo from California.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What consumer electronics/tech companies are putting out revolutionary or very innovative products right now? Is a bigger screen on a phone revolutionary? A bigger screen to support a bigger battery to support LTE that the telecoms are pushing? I don't see any other companies pushing out things that blow me away. Maybe Microsoft and Kinnect. When the iPad first came out it was mocked as just an oversized iPod Touch. Well gee, then couldn't we say the Nexus 7 is just an oversized phone (without cellular)? What makes a larger phone or smaller tablet innovative or revolutionary?

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Project Glass doesn't even exist.

Vapor ware as they say, let me know when you've got one on your face.

Project Glass.

Besides, Google is an Internet and a software company, making gadgets is a "hobby" for them. You know, just like a certain product that sold millions of units still is only a hobby for a certain tech company with a fruit logo from California.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Go where and with what? He didn't say anything except for the typical empty "amazing new products are in the pipeline" phrase. That's about as informative as saying nothing at all.

It's no different to the many many empty rumour articles written every day. I think people like the Apple rumour hype machine. And "amazing new products are in the pipeline" keeps the Apple hype machine rolling on.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The lack of anything truly new this year

hmm.. how can you say that rMBP isn't new?

plus pissing off a lot of people with the non stop litigations in attempt to limit competition, one can't help but speculate that something isn't entirely right.

When people stop copying Apple the litigation will go away. I'm not pissed off at company trying to protect their innovation. Why are you?
What I'm pissed off is a company try to use standard patent to hurt competition. Is that piss you off?

Last edited:

drbotts

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Project Glass.

Not to mention, the Google Driverless Car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

That could take the company to a whole new level of integration into our lives.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
hmm.. how can you say that rMBP isn't new?
I think the argument is that since it is four weeks old now it isn't new. By that logic, Apple hasn't released a new product with the rMBP, but an old product. Actually, if you follow that logic, Apple has never released a new product.

They tried to get 'round this by calling the iPad 3 "new iPad", but as we all know, it is now the "old iPad", so that wasn't a new product either.

On the other hand, since Apple has never released a Samsung phone or tablet, they are all new products, so Samsung is selling new products all the time.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Transmute!

Transformation....

Attachments

• transmute%2B3.JPG
    transmute%2B3.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 80

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
There is so much hoopla about the MBA...yet I've never seen one in public. I'm not saying it's a bad machine, but nobody owns it. I wouldn't call the MBA revolutionary...it's a great machine packed in a tiny space...and? If it were selling for $300 that would be revolutionary...but if I remember correctly it debuted at like $1500 and Apple had to drop the price because nobody was buying it.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-2-duo-1.6-13-specs.html

It weighed 3 pounds with no SSD standard. It was slow and clunky as the cpu was underclocked. It started at $1800 with a really poor configuration. The experiment failed and they revised it. In spite of your experiences, the machine seems to be doing fine. I'm not sure how much of that comes from its price point relative to the other macs.

Somebody posted a link where 75% of Apple's income is for the iPhone and iPad and iPod. That can be good and can be bad. Less than 15% of Apple's revenue comes from Macs. If I were a Mac diehard, I would be really worried. But on the other hand, Apple doesn't seem to have the heart/balls to kill the Mac line so it will probably live on forever....it would be like McDonalds no longer selling fries...the golden arches logo is just synonymous with fries just as Apple is synonymous with Macs.

Their shareholders would crucify them for this. If you look at the pie chart, it's not all ipads. It's really more diverse than you're suggesting with itunes, the app store, the iphone, ipad, macs, and the ipod all making contributions. Cutting off several billion dollars per quarter is not something that would send a good message. In fact it would be stupid as they would lose sales yet maintain support costs for several years.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
So, what's the Autumn (sorry.. "Fall") transition which reduces their margins?

It implies raised production costs, or reduced prices. I can't imagine Apple is going to shift to selling lower priced products now; so the likelihood is increased production costs. I guess the obvious candidate would be more Retina devices: they'll be adding more expensive displays across the product line, without raising prices to compensate.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The iPhone and iPad are the same thing...and so is the Touch...sorry to tell you that. Physically different shapes and one has phone call abilities, but those are the only differences. There is so much hoopla about the MBA...yet I've never seen one in public. I'm not saying it's a bad machine, but nobody owns it. I wouldn't call the MBA revolutionary...it's a great machine packed in a tiny space...and? If it were selling for $300 that would be revolutionary...but if I remember correctly it debuted at like $1500 and Apple had to drop the price because nobody was buying it.
This reminds me of the quote from Pauline Kael who said after the '72 election "How could Nixon have won? Nobody I know voted for him". What evidence other than anecdotal do you have that no one is buying the MBA? If the really was the case Apple wouldn't be selling them. And PC OEM's wouldnt be copying it left, right and center. Apple is not going to spend money manufacturing a product nobody is buying. And $300? Are you joking? Name for me one PC Ultrabook that is selling for $300. The ones that get the best reviews are priced comparable to the MBA. So I'm not sure where you're getting $300 from. :confused:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
iPad: 17 million units, up 83.9% says yes you should be happy about it. 17 million are.

Impressive enough that their sales from last year are up. What about that saturation again?

Sales: $35.023 billion, up 22.5% year over year
Sales: $8.8 billion, up 21%
EPS: $9.32, up 19.6%
iPhone: 26 million units, up 28%
iPad: 17 million units, up 83.9%
Mac: 4 million units, up 1.3%, compared with -1% for the PC market
iPod: 6.8 million units, down 9.8%, over half iPod touch
Apple TV: 1.4 million units, up 170%. 4 million so far this fiscal year

And please don't bring up analysts. They have no clue what they are forecasting..that's why they are called PREDICTIONS.

Apple gave their guidance and beat it and knows whats in the pipeline and whats ahead. They told everyone that this last quarter would not be amazing/blowout due to various factors.

I think I 've missed the part where you actually replied to my points about the lack of real technical innovation at apple...:rolleyes:

Omniver

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Boston, MA
"The great thing about this country is that people can say what they think and so-forth."

Is it just me or do Americans think they invented free speech, you can say what you think in the vast majority of countries!

Invented it? No, it goes back at least to Socrates; but I believe the U.S. was the first government to make it a fundamentally recognized freedom for all of its citizens within its constitution (1791, First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)

Americans are arrogant, yes. But let us have a sense of legitimate pride on succeeding in making free speech a fundamental right for over 200 years now. This was a good thing.

[edit] - credit where credit is due, France was also working on it at essentially the exact same time.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Project Glass.

and what are you going to do with these glasses while walking around? get a hard on from all the data coming to you?

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Nope, you're just realistic. ;)

The big question I have now for Apple and the rest of the tech industry is: Where do we go from here? The "computer" has evolved from a room of vacuum tubes to a desktop to a laptop to a portable screen of varying sizes. What's the next step?

Cyborgs baby!

----------

and what are you going to do with these glasses while walking around? get a hard on from all the data coming to you?

OH-YEAH.jpg

cliveren13

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
Nope, you're just realistic. ;)

The big question I have now for Apple and the rest of the tech industry is: Where do we go from here? The "computer" has evolved from a room of vacuum tubes to a desktop to a laptop to a portable screen of varying sizes. What's the next step?

The next step is a re-emergence of Microsoft just sitting and waiting WINDOWS 8 anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.