Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm just going to go ahead and skip the whole debate over what hardware components can handle Airplay mirroring vs where Apple wants to arbitrarily draw the limits to sell more Macs. Here's my question:

Does anyone here know a way to bypass that limitation? I've heard of "AirParrot," and I might have to try that in the end. But I'm asking more from a tinkering stand point... as in, are there any settings or command line inputs I can play around with on Mountain Lion to get Airplay mirroring to work on my 2010 MBP?

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
No need for the paranoia.
There are technical issues which drive their decision.

cw2k7

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
It is using Intel Quick Sync Video for the encoding which is why it needs 2011 or newer.

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
You can try airparrot, just google it and you can get a free 20 minute trial. It works good the only thing my version did not stream sound to my tv (it stayed with the computer). I was kinda bummed out when my 2010 mbp was not compatible. One reason future proofing does not work as technology keeps changing to quickly to take advantage of latest and greatest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.