Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's release of Safari 6, there has been some confusion over the fate of Safari for Windows. Apple's Safari download page that previously allowed users to download versions for Mac or Windows now redirects to the main Safari page highlighting Safari 6 for Mac, with no mention of Safari for Windows anywhere in Apple's revamped Safari feature pages.

But while Safari for Windows has not been upgraded to version 6 and thus has not received the many new features included for Mac in that release, Apple does appear to be planning to continue quietly offering Safari for Windows. Listings for Safari updates in Apple's support download pages had previously summarized all available Mac and Windows version and provided a link to the general download page, but Apple has now placed Safari for Windows on a dedicated page linking directly to the download.

safari_5_1_7_windows.jpg

Safari for Windows remains at version 5.1.7 initially released alongside OS X 10.7.4 in early May. The software is clearly not a high priority for Apple, as evidenced by the removal of all mentions of the Windows option from the main Safari product pages, but the company is keeping the most recent version available for download. It is unclear, however, whether Apple has plans to bring additional feature updates to the browser.

Update: Apple has pulled the standalone Safari 5.1.7 for Windows download page, redirecting visitors to the previous version that links to the now-discontinued general Safari download page. As a result, it appears that Safari for Windows is now not directly linked anywhere in Apple's official download pages.

Article Link: Apple's Removes Mentions of Safari for Windows, But Version 5.1.7 Still Available For Now [Updated]

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I can see why it wouldn't be a priority for Apple. Would be somewhat sad to see it go however.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.

There's a Windows HIG?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Apple fails in some of its own Mac OS X apps for HIGs. Look at Calendar, Address Book & App Store. Calendar & Address have totally custom GUIs, while the stoplight buttons in App Store aren't in the same place as other apps.

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
Maybe they don't want people to download the old version until the new one is ready? Their Safari page is going to get a lot of traffic today?

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I would guess Apple released Safari for Windows in order to spur on adoption of advanced web technologies, Mozilla was moving too slowly with only IE as competition. With Chrome continuing to grab market share and WebKit browsers being utterly dominant in mobile it’s a case of “job done”.

Mozilla started the fight, WebKit (Safari) added fuel to the fire, Chrome basically forced Microsoft to make IE a great browser.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Windows 8 has a very high degree of hardware acceleration. I suspect Apple is doing a major revision for W8 of both Safari and iTunes.

Wouldn't it be weird if Apple made an appstore for W8 to incidiously capture more Wintel users by having a constant reminder some things work on both platforms, but more capabilities exist on the other. :)

Devices are becoming increasingly commodotized, and ecosystems are becoming increasingly important.

I concur with webkit job done. Apple typically does not declare success, they just move on and eat their young by making the next thing. About 1/4-1/3 of those initiatives take in a major way. Lots of scrap on Apple's floor.

Apple could really use a legacy department for successful initiatives.

Rocketman

Simon86

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
There is NO download link for Safari for Windows

The "dedicated" Safari for Windows download page has been there since May 9th, 2012 - and the download button now redirects to the main page for OS X Safari.

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
LOL - as if anyone ever used it on Windows. Apple software on Windows(Safari, Quicktime, iTunes) is horrible bloatware.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Those of us who use Safari on both Windows and OS X all day every day will be a bit disappointed if they drop it. I would switch back to Firefox.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
What's next? iTunes? :D

But seriously, I like Safari for windows. Although I much prefer Safari on the Mac.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
What's next? iTunes? :D

But seriously, I like Safari for windows. Although I much prefer Safari on the Mac.

That would be a great experiment. Apple not release iTunes for Windows. At this point supposedly they don't even need Windows since you can set up iDevices OTA now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.