Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I've been a Mac User since 1984 (when I was seven years old). I have tonnes of software that I've accrued and want to be able to use it.

Most guilty example of this: the LucasArts adventure games, e.g. Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis... (though I know you can use ScummVM to get to them too).

Also, I want to be able to get to my old AppleWorks / ClarisWorks documents!

Thanks again.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Mountain Lion

I have not yet upgraded to Mountain Lion, and of course have not tested Snow Leopard within Parallels 7 in Mountain Lion.

If you want to use Parallels 7 in Mountain Lion, be sure you upgrade Parallels 7 to the most current version, which is currently: Build 7.0.15104, before you upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Snow Leopard continues to work in Parallels 7: July 10, 2012 Build 7.0.15104 (Revision 778994) in Lion OS X 10.7.4

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I upgraded to Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro.

I did an in-place upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion.

At the end of the installation, Mountain Lion warned me I had some incompatible software on my system, which had been moved to a new folder. There were three pieces of software in question - Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion, and Snapz Pro X.

The Parallels website indicated that I ought to download the latest update (very recently updated it seems, as I downloaded an earlier version 48 hours ago!).

After downloading the latest version of Parallels and installing it, everything is working in Parallels as it ought to (at least it seems to be, from my first glance!). This includes my Snow Leopard VM. Hooray!

(screenshot attached!)

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 551

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Great News about Mountain Lion compatibility with Snow Leopard in Parallels!!

Be sure to UPDATE Parallels 7 BEFORE you install Mountain Lion to avoid having problems; and

I am not aware of a newer Parallels 7 update since the July 10th update 7.0.15104.

Check your About Parallels window and let us know if there is later different update version installed on your computer.

My guess is that you downloaded the PD7 update after July 10th, but elected not to install it at that time. It remains on your hard drive until you use it, and then it deletes the update DMG.

Last edited:

kentsor

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Updating 10.6.8 VM to 10.8 ?

Thank you for the very useful guide.

I got 10.6.8 installed and running just fine, but the ultimate goal for me is to have 10.8 installed in a VM. I develop on 10.6.8 as I need some old programs, but I have to test on 10.8.

I haven't been able to get 10.8 to install. Here's what I have done so far:
In the 10.6.8 VM I downloaded 10.8 from the App Store.
Initially the installer just froze, until I changed the VM settings to use two CPU's
After I changed that, the 10.8 installer proceeded to install for about 20-30 minutes but then it errored out saying it can't install on this machine and offers to restart with the old system. I do that, but now the VM gives me a kernel panic on boot.

Fortunately I made a copy of the VM, so I can start over, but before I re-download 4GB of 10.8 I'd like to ask if anyone has updated their VM to 10.8 with success, and if so, how.

The real machine is a MacMini Server, itself running 10.6.8, and parallels 7.0.15104 so that part is ok.

Kent

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
As I mentioned in an earlier post yesterday, I do not yet have experience with Mountain Lion and your question is really beyond the scope of this particular thread.

I would suggest that you contact Parallels or go to their forum. However, attempting to virtualize Mountain Lion within Snow Leopard may be problematic for their support.

Also, you should post a separate thread here on MacRumors, as well.

Good luck and report back your successes!

kentsor

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Ok, I posted in the 10.8 forum.

It seems to me that going through 10.6.8 is the only way possible, when the end goal is 10.8.

10.8 is only available as a download from the App Store, and the App Store is a 10.6 feature. 10.8 server is an add-on to the regular 10.8, not a standalone OS.

Can you suggest a more direct way ?

It was a very thorough and helpful guide. Do you plan on extending it to 10.7 and 10.8 ?

Kent

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
The genesis of this "solution" was to fix the problem of Rosetta being no longer distributed nor workable in Lion, with those of us who needed to continue to use PowerPC applications.

I will not be working towards a solution to these other problems.

Good luck!

Skyboat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I'm having issues during step one:

Code:
Robs-MacBook-Pro:Desktop Rob$ touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'
touch: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist: Read-only file system

This is when mounting with the SuperDrive.cdr image and 'Mac OS X Install DVD' appears on the desktop.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Where exactly are you having this problem? Step #1; which letter?

Have you ejected the Snow Leopard Install DVD?

Have you tried the Troubleshooting Step #1?

Troubleshooting Step #1

Last edited:

Skyboat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I've followed the guide to the letter. Specifically, it's at step 1.5.

DVD has long been ejected.

This is with a 10.6.3 retail disc through the MobileMe upgrade scheme.

Skyboat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Well I figured out the problem.

Seems Mountain Lion has 'fixed' being able to edit DVD/CD master images.

I'm guessing this was more of a bug on Apple's part as optical discs by nature are generally read-only, so ideally if you wish to modify them they should be converted to a read/write format first.

Maybe a note should be added to the OP stating ML users are unable to use this method.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Are you saying that Disk Utility has changed?

Attachments

• Disk Utility.jpg
    Disk Utility.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 313

Skyboat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
What is there to describe?

Mountain Lion, unlike Lion, does not allow modification of CDR images. You will get a read-only error in the Terminal if you try and edit the filesystem, such as using the 'touch' command.

I have verified this with a MacBookPro8,1 running 10.8 vs an iMac5,1 running 10.7.4

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I am currently on the road and do not have my Snow Leopard Install DVD with me. When I return home I will investigate the problem.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
...I have verified this with a MacBookPro8,1 running 10.8 vs an iMac5,1 running 10.7.4

The solution to YOUR problem is simple: EITHER

1. Perform Step #1 on your Snow Leopard iMac and then move the SuperDrive.cdr file over to your Mountain Lion MBP to perform Steps 2 and thereafter; or

2. In any event, since we know that the Snow Leopard environment can be created in Parallels in Snow Leopard and then upgraded to Mountain Lion, you could also perform ALL of the Steps on your Snow Leopard iMac and then move the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file over to ~/Documents/Parallels/ on your Mountain Lion MBP and double click it.

When the following Dialog box appears, click on CREATE NEW. Be sure to erase the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvn file on your Snow Leopard iMac.

Attachments

• Parallels - Snow Leopard MAC dialog.png
    Parallels - Snow Leopard MAC dialog.png
    62 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

sweetjane

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks MichaelLAX for the precise instructions, no problems with installing and it works like a charm. I'm still on SL, and wanted to make sure this works and i can run freehand smoothly before moving on to Lion.

Sorry to go off topic here, but just wondering if you have any idea how to compress/reduce the size of the snowleopard.pvm file (it is currently updated to 10.6.8 and about 15gb)? I'm on the latest version of parallels but it seems there isn't any compress function.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. How does FreeHand work for you in Parallels?

If you do a Right-Click (or Control-Click) on the file it will offer a menu that includes a compress function. It will probably only compress 2-3 GB at the most out of the file at this point.

You can store it on a 16GB Flash Drive until you can install it on your new computer. Be sure to make ANOTHER backup, if you wipe the original computer's hard disk.

If you are just upgrading the same computer to Lion (and you already have the most up to date version of Parallels 7), it should just work once you upgrade to Lion.

Let us know your progress!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
...[*]I was also able to use the grey-coloured 10.6.2 DVD that shipped with my iMac. I had to do some additional prep to the .cdr image I made of it, by following the instructions posted [removed as per thread starter's request]. It too works a treat. Now we who have grey Snow Leopard DVDs that shipped with our own Macs can continue using them in VMs on the same Macs; no need to go out and buy a retail copy for $29.
[/LIST]

Could you provide me that link again; thanks!?

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Hi MichaelLAX,

Juz update to the latest Parallels Desktop version and it broke my SL VM after I updated the Parallels Tools. It said - An invalid Mac OS Version is installed.

Any quick fix? It's the MBP I had problems installing the first time round. Don't have problems with my other Mac.

Too tired to read everything all over again. Driving me nuts!

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Sorrie for the late response. Update the Parallels Tools with the latest version of Parallels 7.0.15106.786747

Problem is, my other Mac was not affected. Juz dat problematic MBP which I encountered the first time round. Really don't know what info to give you. Maybe I should try the method again I did early.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, there is another update 7.0.15106 after the 7.0.15104 update that I am using.

I will download it and install it into my MacBook Pro 13" (2009) and see what happens and be back to you.

Just to confirm: you installed this update and Parallels Tools on both machines, but only your MBP is giving you this problem? I seem to recall that your MBP also gave you problems in the original install, too?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.