Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage24.png

Mountain Lion is the second release of OS X to be delivered via the Mac App Store. Like with Lion, users can create their own bootable USB key installer to use as a recovery disk or to install Mountain Lion on multiple Macs without needing to download the 4GB installer multiple times.

Ars Technica has an excellent walk-through using either the Disk Utility application that is included on every Mac, or the newly updated Lion Diskmaker app that automates the process of creating a bootable install key.

The biggest catch to the whole process is to make a copy of the Mountain Lion installer before actually installing Mountain Lion, otherwise the installer will need to be redownloaded from the Mac App Store.

(Image via Ars Technica/Chris Foresman)

Article Link: Create a Bootable Mountain Lion USB Key Installer

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The Lion Diskmaker link... well, the link isn't bad, I don't think, but the server it points to isn't happy...

felipecerda

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
Santiago, Chile
Hi, sorry for the ignorance but does this method work for doing a clean install of ML and not just upgrading from an existing installation of Lion?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I'm feel like ranting...

"Create a Bootable Mountain Lion USB Key Installer"

No! I will not!
I fell for this with Lion and spent X wasted minutes of my life creating a USB key installer of Lion which I never used. :mad:

I'm letting is all hang out this time around; no ML USB key installer for me!

Yay, I'm about 5 minutes too late since I already installed ML. Oh well.

You got lucky in my opinion.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
"Create a Bootable Mountain Lion USB Key Installer"

No! I will not!
I fell for this with Lion and spent X wasted minutes of my life creating a USB key installer of Lion which I never used. :mad:

I'm letting is all hang out this time around; no ML USB key installer for me!

Yeah that'll show em'!

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
Unlike most of America I sadly do not have a true high-speed option for internet at my house. Thus I bring my MBP to work and use this method to generate an install package for my iMac at home. It's really the only way to do multiple installs if you don't have a good internet connection.

Reminder: you MUST copy the package before the actual install, but it's easy.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Can you download ML without installing it?

I have a Mac Pro in a temporary office without internet access and would like to install ML on a separate HD to test.

BUT my MBP is running SL and, without getting into the details, needs to stay on SL for now, but it's the only machine with internet access right now.

So I would like to be able to download ML without installing it, and then create a USB installer.

emeraldringer

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Can you download ML without installing it?

I have a Mac Pro in a temporary office without internet access and would like to install ML on a separate HD to test.

Yes. I downloaded ML and made the ML USB Key installer. I then created a second partition on my Mac (leaving Lion on the first partition so that I can still run FCP7 and CS4.) I'm currently installing ML on the second partition.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
I tried this method and at the very end got this error:

"Could Not Restore - Invalid Argument"

But when I removed the USB Key from my iMac and put it back into the USB slot, the installer was on it.
(I haven't tried to use it though, I had to go to work)

:confused:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah like I said, I followed the directions completely.

This is what I did:

1. Source: DMG, Destination: Flash Drive (The brand name and capacity)

I didn't mount the .dmg

Actually their guide is incorrect, and does not match number 1.

Restore the DMG not the volume created when you erase, but to the drive itself.

FYI. They have added a note that it works despite the error.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Interesting thread. After downloading ML but before installation can't you just run time machine and save it in there for future use?

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Apart from this, what's useful to have for ML users is to install a Recovery drive partition on a USB stick. This is a bootable partition (Cmd-R at boot time) that can be used in emergencies.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Used the new Lion Diskmaker app/script and it worked like a charm. Super easy too. I was a able to do a full clean install and ML is running like a dream on my 09' iMac.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Hi, sorry for the ignorance but does this method work for doing a clean install of ML and not just upgrading from an existing installation of Lion?

I have the opposite question. I did this last year with Lion and I believe that the ONLY option was to do a clean install. Can anyone who has used this method tell me what install options are available?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have the opposite question. I did this last year with Lion and I believe that the ONLY option was to do a clean install. Can anyone who has used this method tell me what install options are available?

I used this method (actually a very similar one, but creates the same type of boot disk), and upgraded both my Macs running Lion to Mountain Lion, not clean installs. If you were upgrading from anything but Snow Leopard, however, you would not be able to perform an upgrade, so perhaps that's what you were running into before?

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.