Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I've always liked my iPhone but like many others I've been tempted by other platforms. I tried Android a couple of times (most recently with the One X) and always end up returning the device because I prefer iOS/iPhone as a whole. I kind of feel like WP8 might be a happy medium between Android and iOS though. A bit more openness than iOS but not to the level of Android where I feel that app quality for instance really suffers. The only thing that's held me back from giving WP a chance are the hardware limitations but that barrier should be gone come WP8. I'm hoping that Apple surprises with the next gen iPhone but I might hold out to see what MS has in store. Anyone else in the same boat? Most of all I'm liking the increased competition, it should benefit all of us regardless of what platform we're on.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
This is probably going to be moved, but I agree with you. Windows phone is ridiculously simple. I also like the lumia 900, looks great, just wont be getting w8. :(

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
No. I used Windows Phone before and no matter what it will not even compete with my iPhone. With that said Windows Phone's layout is more of a gimmick so teens can socialize faster, but it really shouldn't be considered a smart phone OS. Okay? Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
but it really shouldn't be considered a smart phone OS. Okay? Bye.

Wow, really? Please explain to me what defines a smartphone OS in your world?

Edit: Not to mention, WP8 is a completely new OS, so you really have no reason to make such a judgement yet.

Last edited:

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
No. I used Windows Phone before and no matter what it will not even compete with my iPhone. With that said Windows Phone's layout is more of a gimmick so teens can socialize faster, but it really shouldn't be considered a smart phone OS. Okay? Bye.

You're signature is all the explanation I need:

The 15 year old Apple fanboy!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Will be interesting to see what Microsoft bring to the Windows Mobile re-reboot.

It'll be nice to have an OS that can compete with both Android and iOS on some newer, more capable hardware (especially from Nokia).

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I don't have any issues with the metro UI, because I don't know much about it, but that isn't what concerns me.

What concerns me is Microsoft's main partner, Nokia, looking like they are going under. And of course, Microsoft has shown a propensity to just screw their customers over. Basically saying, I know you just bought this phone, but to bad. It won't be produced or supported by the manufacturer or M$, since the company went bankrupt.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I don't have any issues with the metro UI, because I don't know much about it, but that isn't what concerns me.

What concerns me is Microsoft's main partner, Nokia, looking like they are going under. And of course, Microsoft has shown a propensity to just screw their customers over. Basically saying, I know you just bought this phone, but to bad. It won't be produced or supported by the manufacturer or M$, since the company went bankrupt.

MS does not have a propensity to screw their customers. If anything, MS has proven that they try to stay backwards compatible to a fault, often bringing old bloated code forward to newers OSes. This is a nice change of pace for MS, sacrificing the bloat to look to the future.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I think your assesment is a bit off.

Windows Phone is already a rock solid mobile OS that is gimped more by MSFT than anything else.

And Microsoft and Nokia are so damn slow. They announce and show nothing for nearly a year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MS does not have a propensity to screw their customers.
You mean like anyone who buys a current windows phone today, won't be able to upgrade to WP8 when its released? :rolleyes:

MS has its share of screwing people over just like any other large corporation.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
You mean like anyone who buys a current windows phone today, won't be able to upgrade to WP8 when its released? :rolleyes:

MS has its share of screwing people over just like any other large corporation.

That's one time and as I mentioned, it's a good thing in this situation. It would be impossible for them to support current hardware with the new OS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's one time and as I mentioned, it's a good thing in this situation. It would be impossible for them to support current hardware with the new OS.
The problem I'm having is MS had win8 on the boards and knew what that it was going to need some higher powered hardware, yet they did nothing and was coy about the upgradability of current wp7 phones.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
MS does not have a propensity to screw their customers.
I had a whole rant prepared for this, but then I checked the Windows phone wiki and...
The expected release date for this update is in Q3 2012. Update will be delivered to all Windows Phone 7.x devices. In the future it will be sold alongsite Windows Phone 8 as low spec Windows Phone.
New start screen UI with customizable sizes of the tiles, as found in Windows Phone 8
Additional unspecified functionalities from Windows Phone 8
No citation so I'm not holding my breath. It's a shame MS can't just give us a straight answer on the future of WP7 devices, the best we got at the keynote was "coming to some current devices", no ETA.

And Microsoft and Nokia are so damn slow. They announce and show nothing for nearly a year.
Indeed. It's not so much the waiting that's annoying, it's the fact that they give no ETAs. Still no sign of the Windows Phone 8 SDK on the horizon either.

It would be impossible for them to support current hardware with the new OS.
Citation required.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm very excited about WP8 too. I used WP7 for nearly a year, but for the past month I've been using an android (htc rezound). The rezound is a nice phone, but even running ice cream sandwich it's not as fast and fluid as my single core 1 gigahertz processor from 2010 WP. The only issue about WP8 is going to be app selection, but I think that will change fairly quickly. I think microsoft has done well getting app developers on board with WP7 considering the extremely small marketshare it currently has. I'm hoping for a Nokia with a 4.7 inch screen with a pureview camera on Verizon.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The problem I'm having is MS had win8 on the boards and knew what that it was going to need some higher powered hardware, yet they did nothing and was coy about the upgradability of current wp7 phones.

I think you've made incorrect assumptions as to WHY it won't be compatible. It has nothing to do with the power of the hardware.

----------

Citation required.

Nah, go inform yourself.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think you've made incorrect assumptions as to WHY it won't be compatible. It has nothing to do with the power of the hardware.
Quite right. The only Windows Phone 8 feature I can think of that doesn't require a hardware upgrade is the WinRT framework.
Vista. Kin. No direct XP to Windows 7 upgrade. Now WP7.

Yep, they definitely don't screw their customers over. ;)

Can you name a company that never had a blemish? You quote the Kin, but lets be real - they didn't sell any Kin's. Look at something they actually sell in quantity - Windows, Office, Server OS's - and you'll see that Microsoft bends over backwards in order to not screw over customers. And where a problem exists, they do bend over backwards to fix it.

Why do you think they don't let OEM's have free reign anymore? I'd be willing to bet it has a lot to do with the Vista debacle.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I have nothing invested in Windows Phone currently, so if MSFT screws current owners, it is no skin off my back.

I think a clean break was exactly what was needed to bring Windows Phone up to speed.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I have nothing invested in Windows Phone currently, so if MSFT screws current owners, it is no skin off my back.

I think a clean break was exactly what was needed to bring Windows Phone up to speed.

I also agree that a clean break was needed. Of course I've had my WP a year so I won't be stuck with a Lumia or Titan for two years with no upgrade path, otherwise I might feel different.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I was under the impression that MS opted to cut off current WP7 phones because they were not dual core and lacked the power for wp8?

If that's not the cause, it makes he decision even curiouser. What was the reason then?

----------

I also agree that a clean break was needed. Of course I've had my WP a year so I won't be stuck with a Lumia or Titan for two years with no upgrade path, otherwise I might feel different.

The problem I have with this statement, is that WP7 was supposed to be a clean break from wince. Now with WP7. The WP7 platform is what 2 years old and it needs a clean break?

tbh, I've heard only good things about wp7, though I have not used one. I do have issues with the UI, but those that I know that own a wp7 phone like it

Apple cuts off older phones for upgrades, and android (carriers really) are even worse at upgrades for existing or older phones, so I don't want to sound all negative on MS.

I guess the sticking point is, if you purchased the so call flagship Lumina 900, a couple of months ago, people are basically stuck without the new OS. If apple tried this with the iPhone 4s (its flagship phone) there would be a hue and cry of how awful they are and how unfair that choice is.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The problem I have with this statement, is that WP7 was supposed to be a clean break from wince. Now with WP7. The WP7 platform is what 2 years old and it needs a clean break?

tbh, I've heard only good things about wp7, though I have not used one. I do have issues with the UI, but those that I know that own a wp7 phone like it

Apple cuts off older phones for upgrades, and android (carriers really) are even worse at upgrades for existing or older phones, so I don't want to sound all negative on MS.

I guess the sticking point is, if you purchased the so call flagship Lumina 900, a couple of months ago, people are basically stuck without the new OS. If apple tried this with the iPhone 4s (its flagship phone) there would be a hue and cry of how awful they are and how unfair that choice is.

I never have been impressed with Windows Phone. For me, it just isn't a viable option. I find it quite ugly, as I cannot stand those tiles. I place their UI only a step above iOS', and the only reason is because you can customize it to a degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.