Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I do not like Safari for windows at all. Chrome, Firefox and opera are all much better. I think Chrome has overtaken firefox. That statement does not apply to Safari for OSX.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Windows 8 has a very high degree of hardware acceleration. I suspect Apple is doing a major revision for W8 of both Safari and iTunes.

Wouldn't it be weird if Apple made an appstore for W8 to incidiously capture more Wintel users by having a constant reminder some things work on both platforms, but more capabilities exist on the other. :)

I agree with what "rocketman" said on pg 1, post 17....

I think this is a low priority for Apple as it is free and not a revenue generator...but they might be holding off an update for win 8 and then have an updated safari and iTunes for win? ...they still have bootcamp and sell macs as "dual-boot" machines, as far as I know, so I doubt they will just abandon it completely.

I'm not so sure about an app store for windows though...they don't make other apps for win...but, iTunes generates revenue for apple, so I can't see them dropping a win version of it. ...maybe they're working on an iTunes that is also web browser, eliminating need for win version of safari? ...or, maybe iTunes will be completely changed when Apple comes out with their "smart" HDTV? :eek:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is why I use Firefox. It's consistent on all platforms (even Linux). I use a theme (Noia) that even gives me a relatively consistent look on all platforms and looks good on all of them. Choosing Safari gives you no option in Linux and spotty performance in Windows. Choosing Internet Explorer 9 gives you no option on the Mac, Linux or even WindowsXP. Sorry, but I use more than one operating system and I want a good browser experience on all of them. And I don't like Chrome (never felt fast and had a horrible GUI, IMO.). Noia on Firefox rules.

This does make me wonder if Apple is planning on dumping iTunes for Windows next. That would be utterly stupid, but then that seems to be Apple's order of the day since Steve died. I was no fan of Steve with his obsessive compulsive behaviors over thin (which continues today sadly even without him) and whiny fits about other companies (paranoia much?), but I really worry about Apple's future. They either need to bring back the Pro markets and power computers or they need to continue to innovate constantly to make up for it. Without Steve, the former is the better option and one I'd prefer since I like power computers, not shiny thin ones that cost way more than they're worth.

You certainly can't say they're going to dump Safari for Windows because they can't afford to develop it. They're richer than Microsoft at this point. They can afford to do EVERYTHING right and offer models to suit everyone, but they don't because they're still paranoid about hiring too many people on the development side (even though the economy could really use it).

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
If apple kill windows Safari they'll at least have to make iCloud support non safari bookmarks on the windows end? Knowing all my bookmarks are everywhere has been handy in the past, and xmarks has never worked as well for me as MobileMe/iCloud sync. Hmm.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It doesn’t make sense that a product which leverages new OS X features and underlying technologies, should update in lockstep with its companion version for an entirely different OS out of Apple’s control: Mountain Lion certainly calls for a new Safari... but Mountain Lion certainly does NOT call for a new Windows Safari.

If Safari for Windows does live on, I think Apple should stop even trying to number the Windows version the same and let each one leverage the strength of its OS. Let Safari be a better fit for Windows than it has been, and let it advance independently on OS X. (And of course, share things when possible—definitely the rendering engine—but without the pressure of simultaneous release.)

In other words, an approach more like what Microsoft has used (at times) with Office. Office for Mac has been its own thing with separate versioning.

It may not make sense, but it's far from impossible. Heck Apple was able to implement and release iCloud support for Windows Vista and 7. iCloud- a feature set which supposedly relies so heavily on core OSX Lion functions, that Apple itself was unable (or unwilling) to accommodate iCloud on Snow Leopard.

I am one of the (apparently very very few) who uses Safari for Windows. I have a bootcamp partition on my MBP, and I maintain a separate windows gaming PC (because it is wholly impossible to have a good, affordable Apple-based gaming machine). I installed Safari on each because for the extremely little browsing I do on either windows installation, I like having the consistent UI and user experience that I have on the Mac. It will be too bad if I have to abandon Safari on Windows, but I guess I would ultimately get over it and move on to something else. I am not a big fan of Firefox (no specific reason, just never was) but I also am not hot on using a Google browser. Alas, what's an internet user to do.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Why?

Easy. to make you have to buy a Mac if you want to use the latest Safari. It's an evil and diabolical trick that Steve and Tim learned from their true master.

If a Windows user's first Mac experience is Windows Safari they won't be switching anytime soon. It's absolutely terrible.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, but ...

I was under the impression that Safari for Windows was primarily made so apps could be tested on a Windows machine that were designed for use on a Mac or iOS device?

Other than use by developers and QA people, I never really thought Apple was concerned about making much of a dent in the Windows web browser market-share?

With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Silverlight for Mac

If Safari drops Windows, I wonder if Microsoft will drop Silverlight for Mac - ie. no more Netflix for Mac. Already had issues getting Silverlight to work properly on my Macbook (took a lot of running around, deleting files, etc. to get it to function properly).

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I use to use safari on windows but since chrome came along no need for it.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Its meh, unless its for 100% Mac Owners running bootcamp, no point in keep it going imo. Safari on 10.7 was garbage for me. I'd have 4 Tabs open for a hour or so...and I start beach balling? ****, my old storage server ( its an old ass P4 with a **** ton of hard drives stuffed in it, running windows 2003 Server ), can have 15 tabs open no problem, and Safari can't handle 4? Yes, I know 4 tabs with iTunes open is stressful on a Quad Core i7....

As far as the Windows side goes, Firefox is starting to clean up its act again, chrome is great, tons of others as well.

Don't kill me......I have not used Internet Explorer snice Mozilla was on version like 2.5 or something like that, almost 10 years ago.

But the newest versions of IE are ****ing incredible. I feel like Windows XP/Windows 7/ Now Windows 8, Microsoft is stepping it up BIG time.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Didn't read the rest of the thread did you ? You can even grab a copy off of MSDN.

So, Microsoft's interface guidelines are incredibly ******, they brought us Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 8. and they don't even follow them themselves, when they're not changing them of course.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Damn...

No more Reading List in my gaming OS when I want to temporarily bookmark something to read in OS X and not interrupt my next game.

Meh...

@Apple: Downvote

Suddenly this video seems stupid (with all its reasoning for the Windows release):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DHMaCbdxc
(sorry for 240p version, couldn't find a better one in the rush, I get eye cancer from 240p, too :p)

Glassed Silver:mac

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What's interesting is that the apple.com search box at the upper-right still says "for Mac+PC" when you search for Safari...

The Windows version is still available for download, though:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531

Attachments

• SafariForMacPlusPC.png
    SafariForMacPlusPC.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 60

jonnyz

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
No surprise to me. Apple probably decided the small Windows user base for Safari wasn't worth a Metro port for Windows 8, so they killed it.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
What's interesting is that the apple.com search box at the upper-right still says "for Mac+PC" when you search for Safari...

The Windows version is still available for download, though:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531

Tried, goes to the Safari page. The exe link posted earlier should work but fir h LN, we don't know.

Kind of liked Safari on Windows for its speed and use with iCloud.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Safari is too slow on Windows. I have always use Chrome on Windows before switching to Mac, and now I use Chrome on my Mac, my iPad, and iPhone. I am a big supporter of Chrome.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Safari is too slow on Windows. I have always use Chrome on Windows before switching to Mac, and now I use Chrome on my Mac, my iPad, and iPhone. I am a big supporter of Chrome.

I wouldn't use chrome on the iPad or iPhone, 3rd Party Web Browsers on iOS do not get to use the JIT Javascript Engine. Using 3rd Party Web Browsers on iOS will render JavaScript slower than Safari.

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...impressions-and-benchmarks-from-chrome-on-ios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.