Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Okay, here's the setup.

My mother owns a PowerBook. She will be sending it to Apple for repairs (the pins on the charger are damaged and the case is a tad warped, so its hard to charge it). She has a lot of important data, all in the form of documents and TIFF images. She's worried that something will go wrong and all her data lost or something when it goes to Apple.

The PowerBook has a 40 GB hard drive. We have an extra PC around here with an almost-empty 80 GB drive.

I would like to back everything up. How can this be done? I've heard of a program called Carbon Copy Cloner; would that work?

What can I use to back the Mac up to the PC? For free?

I need an answer quickly. If it can't be done easily, CompUSA will back up the data for a fee.

Thanks!

Applespider

macrumors G4
You could just back up her Home folder by copying it over to the PC's drive (assuming it's formatted as FAT32). That should keep most of personal documents/images/apps intact. But you'd lose some of her system settings (airport passwords etc) if Apple wiped the HD.

Superduper will make a clone of an entire system that you can restore to. The problem is that to make a bootable clone, you'd need the drive to be HFS+ and not FAT32

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
We've kinda got stuff scattered all over the drive :D

Would it be possible to save that clone of the system onto the PC to transfer back later?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Hmm, I'm noticing the price tag (CompUSA backs it up too for a small fee). Can the trial version do the same things?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Alrighty, I'll download it now and see if its doable with the PC. Thanks.

Anyone else have any other apps in case it doesn't work?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm always stunned at how cavalier people are with their data. If the data is important, it should be backed up whether or not your mom is going to have the computer serviced. If you're not using the PC, buy a firewire enclosure for its hard drive, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy all the data onto the hard drive. Problem solved permanently for $50.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I realize that, and I actually did back it all up a few months ago onto an iPod. It's just too big to back up to the iPod now. When the drive only had like 15 gigs used I backed up all her stuff to a 20 GB iPod.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Well I'm going to try backing up her files individually onto the iPod and using the .Mac Backup app for all the settings and iPhoto library and all.

Completely forgot about Backup. I figure that might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.