Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Hey guys,

When I pick up an item on the desktop, it essentially 'sticks' to my mouse and i can't drop it anywhere. If i click esc, it sometimes goes back to where it was. It seems like a bug but I need a fix for this. It also happens when I'm working inside programs and the cursor just gets stuck on selecting and I can't unclick. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks

relayer250

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Saome problem

I have exact problem since installing 10.8. Never had this happen before. Seems to have same problem in dock and Finder. :(

johnlmccurdy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
this used to happen to me a lot in Lion. Only thing to solve it was turning the computer off and then on again! Annoying - I know...

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
System Preferences > Accessibility > Trackpad options > enable dragging without drag lock.

At least that's one place to find an option on this.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
If the problem appears, open Terminal and type this:
Code:
killall Finder

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Hey guys,

When I pick up an item on the desktop, it essentially 'sticks' to my mouse and i can't drop it anywhere. If i click esc, it sometimes goes back to where it was. It seems like a bug but I need a fix for this. It also happens when I'm working inside programs and the cursor just gets stuck on selecting and I can't unclick. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks

Same here. 10.8. 'Have to force quit finder very frequently and other programs too.

zankty

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Same here.

It seems that putting the mac to sleep shortly solves the problem temporally.

What I like to know is, if you guys also upgrade from Lion?
Did any of you do a clean install?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Same here.

It seems that putting the mac to sleep shortly solves the problem temporally.

What I like to know is, if you guys also upgrade from Lion?
Did any of you do a clean install?

I did a clean install of lion and still had the issue.

zankty

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
So I did some testing and I was able to learn that the problem is the same on all user accounts and it does not happen in Safe Boot.

After that I called Apple and the 2nd Level Support told me that maybe my
Adobe, VMWare, ClamXav or LittleSnitch may be the cause.

Has anyone else one of these or a similar program installed? (i.e. Parallels, any antivirus software)

AfternoonDelete

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2010
If you mean that you can't drag an item from the desktop to the Finder icon in the Dock, so that you could springload into a folder... you can't do this in Mountain Lion, incredibly. You could do this in Snow Leopard and Lion. AppleCare ran every kind of test and concluded this with me.

A workaround is to drag your home folder from Finder into the Dock, and drag desktop items into that

It's a truly bad ML regression, forcing users to do this clunky action. I've complained to Apple via Feedback. I hope others do the same. It could result in a return to the better drag- and-drop directly into the Finder dock icon.

dawso1ba

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Had same problem

I had this same issue after upgrading to mountain lion. I found that it is usually caused by third party software being installed. I had Airparrot, splashtop, and iteleport. Something in there is not compatible. Bad news though, after uninstalling all of that software there must have still been a driver left behind because it did not solve the issue. Ultimately I had to do a clean install of mountain lion and you can't restore from TM, has to be CLEAN install. Good luck look into any of those programs you may have or had. There are a couple others that will do it as well but can't remember the name of them.

zankty

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
I figured out the problem on my Mac. It was the Airparrot Audio driver.
After I did a Erase and Install, migrated my user folder back everything was working.
After installing Airparrot's Audio driver the problems started again. So I found this solution:
- Go to [HD]\System\Library\Extensions
- Delete AirParrotDriver.kext & APExtFramebuffer.kext
- reboot

found it here: http://theotcspace.com/2012/03/11/airparrot-bug-warning/

mckemper

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
San Franicsco
Air Display disabling drag and drop

I had just installed Air Display when everything I tried to drag was sticking to my cursor. Luckily, I was able to uninstall Air Display and all's well.

Burkut

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Tryied and Working

If you are using Air Display , Uninstall Air Display and it will work.
uninstaling also solve my launchpad search area typing problem.
;)
Hey guys,

Thanks

Fredvs79

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
I figured out the problem on my Mac. It was the Airparrot Audio driver.
After I did a Erase and Install, migrated my user folder back everything was working.
After installing Airparrot's Audio driver the problems started again. So I found this solution:

found it here: http://theotcspace.com/2012/03/11/airparrot-bug-warning/

Thank you, this helped me. I figure with Airplay built in to ML, I'm not missing anything without AirParrot any more.

crossifixio

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007
London
Fixed

Deleting AirParrotDriver.kext & APExtFramebuffer.kext fixed it for me!! I used Easyfind to look for them and then delete them! Glad its over now!

pdwalker

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
I had the same problem with drag & drop

I had recently installed air display and things were working

After my next reboot, the problem showed up.

Uninstalling Air Display solved the problem.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.