Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I saw this too. Looking forward to having a play around with them so we can see the sort of thing Apple will be putting our later this year

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Actually its out now, downloading on my iPhone 4S!

----------

Quick first impressions, a bit slower than Apple's and not sure the 3D cities look quite as realistic. Too early to really tell though.

----------

Here we go, direct comparison:

Apple Maps:
7650496754_143e81ffe1_b.jpg

Google Earth:
7650496190_7feefb0645_b.jpg

Looks a LOT better on Apple Maps Id say.

Last edited:

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Actually its out now, downloading on my iPhone 4S!

----------

Quick first impressions, a bit slower than Apple's and not sure the 3D cities look quite as realistic. Too early to really tell though.

----------

Here we go, direct comparison:

Apple Maps:

Google Earth:

Looks a LOT better on Apple Maps Id say.

Flyover is good, but how well do they work showing trees. In some pictures, the trees look like blobs.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I can confirm the textures in Google earth load more slowly and are lower quality than Apple Maps. Further comparisons -

Apple Maps:
7650597090_710bfdaea3_b.jpg

Google Earth:
7650597598_c269d4d558_b.jpg

Apple Maps:
7650625252_7b7748e063_b.jpg

Google Earth:
7650624466_471e86d433_b.jpg

Also even though Apple Maps is in beta it already had more cities than the non beta Google Maps.

EDIT: Note that there is no spinning circle at the tops of these pictures, I allowed the scene to fully load in both apps before capturing the screenshot.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Apple:

Edit: I had too do it in 2 posts, not sure why, but it wouldn't let me upload them both at the same time. A side from the spanning of the bridge, apple seems miles ahead. Apples looks sharper and much clearer, for example compare the bottom left of both pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 293

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Hmmmm very interesting so far. I think Sydney has some stunning 3D detail on Apple Maps but Im unable to compare them as 3D isnt there in Google Earth yet :/

falkedup

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
am i the only one who cant get the 3d to work? i have it checked off in the options
i have a 4s

Last edited:

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I wonder if both companies plan to bring this to more areas and developing countries. So far they only go to big cities that most have seen.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
Apple has more detail...

But in the 1st 2 pictures Google's colors are much better than Apples.

May I ask, what's the point of 3D maps? Isn't it just a gimmick? There's no use for it, or am I missing something?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Apple has more detail...

May I ask, what's the point of 3D maps? Isn't it just a gimmick? There's no use for it, or am I missing something?

Are you serious? In the first 2 pictures the Google Earth one looks like a cartoon. Not to mention the poor texture detail on nearly everything compared to the Apple Maps version.

As for the point, it gives you an incredibly detailed photo realistic 3D view of a city. If you think that is pointless then that must mean that detailed satellite imagery is pointless as well :confused:

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Tried it out on my 4S and the new iPad and Apples try on 3D is a good bit better at the moment. It's faster, shows more detail and looks more natural.
But we'll see how both solutions evolve over time.

Apple has more detail...

I disagree, Apples 3D looks much more natural at the moment.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
Are you serious? In the first 2 pictures the Google Earth one looks like a cartoon. Not to mention the poor texture detail on nearly everything compared to the Apple Maps version.

As for the point, it gives you an incredibly detailed photo realistic 3D view of a city. If you think that is pointless then that must mean that detailed satellite imagery is pointless as well :confused:

Yeah just to look at a city in 3D isn't gimmicky?? Come on

And no I don't think detailed satellite imagery is pointless. It's two different things.

At least detailed satellite imagery is useful for maps/directions/navigation.

Not trying to bash 3D maps, it just doesn't seem like its something that is needed when they're trying to compile their own maps at the same time. If they had maps all done then sure, no problem

Last edited:

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Also, in that first picture comparing LA... the roads and trees look better in the Google version than the Apple version.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Yeah just to look at a city in 3D isn't gimmicky?? Come on

And no I don't think detailed satellite imagery is pointless. It's two different things.

At least detailed satellite imagery is useful for maps/directions/navigation.

Not trying to bash 3D maps, it just doesn't seem like its something that is needed when they're trying to compile their own maps at the same time. If they had maps all done then sure, no problem

It's basically satellite imagery with a third dimension. We live in a 3D world after all. ;)

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Search for "hollywood sign" in Google Earth. Looks like they're missing a few data blocks.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It doesn't even matter how poor Google's 3D implementation is. The fact that they said it will only be available on their Google Earth app and won't be coming to Google Maps on either iOS or Android means it will be a loser anyway. Who wants to use separate apps for that? Where's the nice integration like Apple is doing in their new Maps app?'

Now I understand why their original demos used the iPad and not Android and why they released this on iOS first. You need some serious graphics to render 3D models. Graphics on Android (especially 3D rendering) is pretty poor compared to iOS and has been for quite a while.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.