Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hi there,

I just opened up Diablo 3 and it told me I should update my drivers in windows 7. So I followed the instructions on this site:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/driverupdates

And downloaded the 304.78 graphics driver (beta, as they are the only available)

And got this message:

"NVIDIA installer cannot continue
This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

So I decided to try the 304.48 one. Same message.

Anyone know what is going on?

bsmack

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Sounds like the macbook is completely turning off the nvidia card when it's not being used, hence the driver isn't finding it. This might sound crazy, but try booting up Diablo 3, alt-tabbing, and then installing the driver.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Sounds like the macbook is completely turning off the nvidia card when it's not being used, hence the driver isn't finding it. This might sound crazy, but try booting up Diablo 3, alt-tabbing, and then installing the driver.

The MacBook Pro only uses discrete graphics in Windows. Integrated graphics are disabled.

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
As MacReloaded said, you need to modify the .inf file per his link.

However, make sure you have the English version of the driver, and not the international version. I banged my head against a wall for days trying to get it to work, and that was why. Otherwise, 304.79 loaded fine.

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006

Thanks, but which one is it? I'm using windows 7 64 bit...

also... I have no experience modding .inf files or know anything about them.

Do I just download the .exe file on this page:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29610-v30479-windows-xp-64bit-nvidia/

by clicking the red "download driver" link? Seems to be the latest version of the driver (and same listed on the NVIDIA site) but shows it's for windows XP... but I don't see one for 7...

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
I also find it odd that this hack is the official method for updating one's drivers...

wondering what the official story is...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
the offical story is that Apple doesnt want you messing with unapproved drivers... anyway...

dont mess with hacking the INF just download the already modded one

Driver

modded INF

Laptop2go's inf works fine i dont know why people suggest modding it yourself

when you run the driver it will extract to an nvidia directory on your C drive, go in there and find NVWI.INF, and move the downloaded/modded INF to the same location in the driver folder as the original file, then run setup as normal.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I also find it odd that this hack is the official method for updating one's drivers...

wondering what the official story is...

Agreements with OEM's tend to dictate that the OEM has to sign off drivers, and most OEM's tend to not care about updates after release so driver updates never happen.

Used to be that no laptop could be updated direct from either AMD or NVidia, but most/many nowadays allow nvidia to release updates directly. Apple seem to be too much of a control freak to allow this, perhaps.

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
well tried dropping in this file:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1385467/

from this thread in the display driver folder (only folder with a file with that name)

message changed to: required files not found...

so whatever I did, did not work.

I dunno where to get the .inf file or where to put it...

some instructions would be helpful...

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
the offical story is that Apple doesnt want you messing with unapproved drivers... anyway...

dont mess with hacking the INF just download the already modded one

Driver

modded INF

Laptop2go's inf works fine i dont know why people suggest modding it yourself

when you run the driver it will extract to an nvidia directory on your C drive, go in there and find NVWI.INF, and move the downloaded/modded INF to the same location in the driver folder as the original file, then run setup as normal.

Alright thanks man. I simply pasted into the NVWI file in the display driver folder of the NVIDIA driver, the text on that page, and now installing the 304.79 version driver.

BTW: Your first link to the driver was disabled by the website :/

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009

I don't have a rMBP yet, but I soon will, and will Bootcamp it to play a game (Guild Wars 2) on Windows 7 64bit, like the OP. So I read this thread with some interest, and curiosity/concern, but mostly considerable confusion over this graphics driver issue.

1) I know that when the rMBP was first released, there were threads about there not being support for the GT 650M GPU, or something like that. At this point, with Mountain Lion out, when you run Boot Camp, does it include an updated 650M driver?

2) I checked out that Laptopvideo2go site and it's FAQs, but I remain confused about what a modded driver is, modded vs. official, is it safe, etc.

Since Nvidia now offers a new driver dated July 3 (Verde 304.79 Driver BETA) for download from their site, why does it not work for the OP? Why does it need further customization, modding?

3) In one of the Laptopvideo2go's FAQs, they explain:

"Official NV site drivers (to be specific: only the INF) does not support any mobile GPUs (exceptions occur)."​

But when you go to the Nvidia site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us), you specifically input your laptop's GPU model to find its driver. Doesn't that mean that Nvidia does support mobile GPUs? Or merely affirming that the 650M is one of those exceptions?

4) Lastly, is the problem the OP experienced an issue that'll arise for all games on the rMBP in Win 7 (and can be solved with a modded INF), or will this driver issue only occur with some games?

Thanks for any help. This is well beyond my tech know-how.

Anician

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2007
I don't have a rMBP yet, but I soon will, and will Bootcamp it to play a game (Guild Wars 2) on Windows 7 64bit, like the OP. So I read this thread with some interest, and curiosity/concern, but mostly considerable confusion over this graphics driver issue.

1) I know that when the rMBP was first released, there were threads about there not being support for the GT 650M GPU, or something like that. At this point, with Mountain Lion out, when you run Boot Camp, does it include an updated 650M driver?

2) I checked out that Laptopvideo2go site and it's FAQs, but I remain confused about what a modded driver is, modded vs. official, is it safe, etc.

Since Nvidia now offers a new driver dated July 3 (Verde 304.79 Driver BETA) for download from their site, why does it not work for the OP? Why does it need further customization, modding?

"Official NV site drivers (to be specific: only the INF) does not support any mobile GPUs (exceptions occur)."

But when you go to the Nvidia site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us), you specifically input your laptop's GPU model to find its driver. Doesn't that mean that Nvidia does support mobile GPUs? Or merely affirming that the 650M is one of those exceptions?

4) Lastly, is the problem the OP experienced an issue that'll arise for all games on the rMBP in Win 7 (and can be solved with a modded INF), or will this driver issue only occur with some games?

Curious to know the same!

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
updated driver necessary for non rMBP?

Should I update the driver on my non-rMBP? I am using bootcamp to play WAR and The Secret World.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

"Official NV site drivers (to be specific: only the INF) does not support any mobile GPUs (exceptions occur)."​

I'll try to answer these questions as best I can. I have limited knowledge with this but I have updated my drivers.

1) No bootcamp does not include a different driver with Mountain Lion.

2) The modding of the INF gets the driver installation to recognized the 650M in your RMBP. You are literally adding text to one of the .inf files to specifically find Apple's version of the 650M. When used in Windows machine the card has an identifier like OFD1, but Apple labelled the graphics card OFD5. So, you must go in and change all references to OFD1 to OFD5. You're not really modding anything, just having the installer look for the correct card #.

3) There is support for the mobile cards (you can find it in the device list .inf file), not sure why it says that, but I've seen the same thing.

4) I don't know that it was really an issue, probably more of a suggestion that updated drivers were available. I played BF3 with the old drivers and it never mentioned anything about it.

I was originally gaming on Windows 8 Release Preview when I decided to upgrade to the BETA drivers, using a modded inf. I tried everything and could not get 304.79 or any of the BETA drivers to properly install. I switched to Windows 7 and the modded inf worked instantly. I did not see a performance increase between driver versions.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
2) The modding of the INF gets the driver installation to recognized the 650M in your RMBP. You are literally adding text to one of the .inf files to specifically find Apple's version of the 650M. When used in Windows machine the card has an identifier like OFD1, but Apple labelled the graphics card OFD5. So, you must go in and change all references to OFD1 to OFD5. You're not really modding anything, just having the installer look for the correct card #.

That explains it perfectly--it all makes sense now. Thank you so much for that, and all the other great answers as well. Allays much of the concern and confusion I had over this.

Veraxus

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
I have a MBPr running Windows 8 RP and unfortunately the LaptopVideo2Go driver (304.79 Windows 8 64bit) + modified INF just aren't installing.

Although the installer doesn't give me a "No compatible hardware" message like NVIDIA's original 304.79 version did, instead I instead get an "NVIDIA Installer failed" message just a second or two after the installation starts.

Any ideas?

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I have a MBPr running Windows 8 RP and unfortunately the LaptopVideo2Go driver (304.79 Windows 8 64bit) + modified INF just aren't installing.

Although the installer doesn't give me a "No compatible hardware" message like NVIDIA's original 304.79 version did, instead I instead get an "NVIDIA Installer failed" message just a second or two after the installation starts.

Any ideas?

Windows 8 RP is the problem. I had it installed too but i was forced to remove it due to driver incompatibilities and refusal to start some games.

tosolini

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Just sharing the positive outcome for upgrading the NVidia driver to 304.79 in my brand new MBP non retina running Win7 64Bit and Boot Camp.

I had issues with the AirPlay Reflection App (http://reflectionapp.com) that allows you to mirror an iPhone / iPad screen on a PC / Mac. I followed the instructions in this forum and downloaded the driver and the modded INF from LaptopVideo2Go.com and everything worked fine after a reboot.

Before installing it, as a precaution, I did create a restore point in the Control Panel, just in case.

Thanks again for the directions and links. :)

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
The "Dude";15337098 said:
As MacReloaded said, you need to modify the .inf file per his link.

However, make sure you have the English version of the driver, and not the international version. I banged my head against a wall for days trying to get it to work, and that was why. Otherwise, 304.79 loaded fine.

where did you get the english version? i found the driver i think I need at http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html and it says english, but the filename says international.

I've also tried the driver download from the forum listed and replacing the .inf on both but both fail when installing the driver- it gets past the compatibility check then as it's installing the driver it fails and kicks me back to a 1024x768 screen. thanks for any help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.