Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Safari is definitely really snappier on my old 2007 Mac mini.

One other thing, is it me or Youtube now automatically switches to its new HTML5 player with Safari 6?

That's nice and all for HTML5 and open standards, but unfortunately the HTML5 player is simply unusable fullscreen on this Mac (less than 1 fps), even playing a 360p video. The Flash version can play 720p video without a hitch.

So I had to go to the Youtube HTML5 page and "leave the beta" to get the Flash player back.

Anyone can verify that this Youtube switch to HMTL5 is happening on Safari 6?

It happens with Safari 5 on my MBP with Snow Leopard. And I KEEP having to change it.

----------

Tried to revert back to Safari 5 because I don't care for the Unibar and fat tabs - no can do. Safari cannot be removed or modified because it is required by OS X (or something to that effect).

But does Safari 5 work? I guess you could also use Terminal to delete Safari 6.

valexa

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
1. Safari->Develop->Inspector (command-alt-i)
2. Stopwatch icon in top left corner
3. Network requests

Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.

Click the "record" button - the grey circle to the right of "Timelines". That will persist network requests as long as you'd like them.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Any word on 10.6 support? I hope so.

I believe you'll find that Snow Leopard today will probably be in just about the same position Leopard occupied last year.

They'll keep on issuing new versions of iTunes for a while, and they may put out the odd patch for an extremely high profile security exploit. Otherwise, you'll probably find that Apple's support for 10.6 will dry up extremely quickly.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Finally!

Coming from a Windows background, being to be able to click in the address bar and the whole address is selected (so you can easily type and replace) is something I waited for.
Before, for some reason, Safari would put the cursor where you clicked.
No other browser had this behavior.

That is the way I prefer to browse, click in the address bar and start typing.
I hope they update the iOs version to do the same.

My question...

Do you need to set up cloud tabs someway?

I click on it on my MacBook Pro and it doesn't show (or try) the tabs that are open on my iPad.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?

sebastiannz

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Zimmy: the ipad and iphone icloud tab function won't work until iOS 6. At the moment it only works with other macs with ML.

I really like the new Safari. It is *WAY* faster. I finally don't miss Chrome. And this is on a late 2010 13" MBP, not exactly a speedster these days. Even the omnibar thing works nice and smoothly.

And it finally has searchable field thing that Chrome has had for millions of years. I'm surprised this didn't come sooner but better late then never.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Holy crap, these GIANT tabs are 100% terrible. Wtf, Apple? I want the regular tabs back. They were much easier to manage that way.

We all have wants. I want Apple to give me the option to put the tabs back on top like in the Safari 4 beta.

klmaj

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!
So you're saying it's "snappier"? ;)

klmaj

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
So you're saying it's "snappier"? ;)

I think the term snappy is rather vague. If you do a side to side with Google Chrome you will notice that images become choppy as you scroll down a picture intensive page. This is not the case on Safari. Even though I have a non retina display the resolution on safari seems to be more sharper evidently than Chrome. I do have quite a love affair with Chrome and will use it on my mac mini but for my macbook safari rules. For me its the perfect software application running on hardware designed to compliment it.

Is it faster than Chrome? Maybe not, but there are minute fractions of a second in it I'd say either way so I'm not bothered. For me its as fast and silky smooth to operate, pleasing on the eye and pretty damn cool.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
After using it some more, the new developer inspector pane is _awful_. They've fundamentally broken the ability to use the network pane to interrogate requests. No way to see if it's a GET or a POST, awful formatting / hiding of the actual URL, and no consistent way to view the response. I had been using Chrome as my daily driver and Safari as my dev browser, but this update has made Safari impossible to use for dev. Back to Firefox + Firebug / HTTPFox. Bleh.

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?

Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I don't understand why Apple does not post a download link for Safari 6 (lion) on their website. I had to get Safari 6 from some random third party website.

jojo0815

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Do Not Track

Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?

The "disadvantage" (or advantage, depending on your views), assuming the ad companies actually honor the DNT header, is that you might see less relevant ads. It shouldn't affect any normal functionality.

It's not on by default because it's supposed to be an expression of user's preference to opt out of tracking. Microsoft tried to make it active by default in IE10, and then had to back track less than a week later because the ad companies were terrified that it would destroy their business.

MattAtlanta

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.

I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.