Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadTester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Hi all,

With the Safari update I've noticed that now if I want to save a pdf I am viewing online, I have to open it in 'Preview' first and then save it..... Has the function (i.e. the little menu at the base of the safari window giving you the options to print, save, magnify) been completely eradicated? :(

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
Hi all,

With the Safari update I've noticed that now if I want to save a pdf I am viewing online, I have to open it in 'Preview' first and then save it..... Has the function (i.e. the little menu at the base of the safari window giving you the options to print, save, magnify) been completely eradicated? :(

I'm not aware of the function you are referring to. But, to save a page as a PDF from Safari, go to File->Print (or press Cmd+P), click "PDF", and then click "Save As PDF".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can't right-click on the link to the pdf and select "Download linked file"?

McGordon

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Scotland
All the old methods of saving a PDF are there as far as I can see. You can still use "Save As..." from the file menu, right-click on the link to download the file, or use those icons at the bottom of the page you mentioned - click the right hand one to save the PDF to your downloads folder.

Reactions: Digger148

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Safari 6.0, PDF viewed in Safari, mouse hovered over bottom centre of screen, brings pop up menu. The save button is the first one on the left in this menu.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 11.46.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 11.46.52 AM.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 473

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Seeing that attachment made me think...Adobe's going to have to change that icon sooner or later...I bet there's a lot of young folks out there that have no idea what that represents since they've never seen a floppy disk.

Reactions: bluespark

MadTester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Seeing that attachment made me think...Adobe's going to have to change that icon sooner or later...I bet there's a lot of young folks out there that have no idea what that represents since they've never seen a floppy disk.

LOL.. yeh... the 'good old days' eh? .. I finally got once i rebooted my machine a couple of times.... Looks like my uMBP got itself into a shizzle.... :D

On another note... 'Empty Cache' shortcut is no longer around or in the menu option :( hey ho.. such is life i guess.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

Good point. At least they use a 3.5inch floppy and not a 5 1/4. But what would they use now? A cloud?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

I doubt it - we use many icons and conventions the have no relation to their actual original use - starting with the return key, dodge and burn symbols in photo apps, etc. Once people get used to a convention the history behind it is largely irrelevant.

densonsmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Safari 6.0, PDF viewed in Safari, mouse hovered over bottom centre of screen, brings pop up menu. The save button is the first one on the left in this menu.

Hover near the bottom of the page to bring up the menu was very non-obvious, thanks for the answer. Many sites with academic papers use Javascript links to prevent bots from mass downloading all the articles. It is usually impossible to right click and do "download as" on these sites.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
On another note... 'Empty Cache' shortcut is no longer around or in the menu option :( hey ho.. such is life i guess.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that you can create then assign your own keyboard shortcuts for applications using the Keyboard preference pane inside System Preferences.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Empty Cache is available in the 'develop' menu. so is the shortcut [option command shift e].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.