Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeymann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
hey,
so in my haste to install the new mountain lion i idiotically chose to restore it my 500G external hard-drive which contained all of my prized memories, instead of my blank usb stick slotted at the other end of my new macbook pro.. i will learn one day..

anyway, i'm wondering what my options are for recovering the lost data?
i've bought "disk drill" and it's finding some of the lost items, but it's really badly organised and takes a long time..

any better ideas? don't mind buying more software, just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a professional service to have a look at it quite yet..

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Well, if you "installed" ML -over- the old data, the old files have been over-written and even data recovery software won't get them back for you...

You -will- need -another- "scratch" drive to receive any recovered data.
You will also lose all folder hierarchies and probably many (if not most) filenames as well.

Be prepared to spend time and money.

Programs to look into:
- DataRescue3
- Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
- Disk Drill
- Nice To Recover

monkeymann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
damn, it's a cruel game..
thanks anyway fishherman and miles for those program recommendations..

that sounds like all i could ask for so thank you

LouDoillon

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
You can try Stellar Phoenix Mac which is also given above that can recover your data with original file name and folders.

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Chances of data recovery is much more bright if you make an image and recover your data from that image using Stellar Phoenix Mac..Try it now its best among data recovery programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.