Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This 3% is amazing considering the Code fiasco and that most will want to wait several weeks until the initial bugs get worked out.

The traffic in about 3 months will tell a lot better, more meaningful story.

It'll be fun to compare Mac with Windows percentages over time.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
This 3% is amazing considering the Code fiasco and that most will want to wait several weeks until the initial bugs get worked out.

The traffic in about 3 months will tell a lot better, more meaningful story.

It'll be fun to compare Mac with Windows percentages over time.

Then again let's not forget that this OS cast aside a pretty important part of the functioning mac park. So I doubt it will be installed as much as Lion.

OneNature

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I have ML and I don't visit 9to5 mac

I think it would be naive to assume that 3 percent of all mac users are already on mountain lion. I already have mountain lion but my mom doesn't. She also would never visit 9to5 mac.

And my son is still waiting for his code.:)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm no mathmagician, but I think it is safe to say that with the relative ease of upgrading and the low price point, Mountain Lion will be an extremely successful rollout for Apple.

We'll get more official numbers from Tim Cook in September or October during the iPhone keynote.

Hopefully August :cool:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
...which means 97% isn't coming from ML. Doesn't sound like a triumph to me.

Absolutely underwhelming stats for an absolutely underwhelming OS X "upgrade"...not surprising at all.

Even Lion had a better adoption rate (unsurprisingly, since it also offered more innovation compared to SL, than ML compared to Lion).

Considering some reported bugs, as well as the fact that most people are praising ML for something that does NOT belong to it (Safari 6, also underwhelming in its own right), I will not upgrade at least until 10.8.1 or 10.8.2.

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
it still amazes me how many people are willing to just jump on a version 0 of a major software update, without waiting to see if there are problems, or at least until version .1

no way in hell i would risk computer downtime just so i could be "first" to download. i mean, there really is no rush.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
it still amazes me how many people are willing to just jump on a version 0 of a major software update, without waiting to see if there are problems, or at least until version .1

no way in hell i would risk computer downtime just so i could be "first" to download. i mean, there really is no rush.

I think it's more on the lines of it being Mountain Lion instead of Lion.
Very much like Snow Leopard is to Leopard.

This isn't as much an entirely new OS, but more a refinement of an existing OS. It would be thought of as much more of a straight Big new OS update when they change the Cat. Then there's more cause for the wait-and-see approach.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011

I clean-installed 10.7.0 on release day and had absolutely zero problems. I remember thinking it was a solid release. I am doing the same with 10.8.0.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Absolutely underwhelming stats for an absolutely underwhelming OS X "upgrade"...not surprising at all.

So, if Mountain Lion fails, it's because it was 'underwhelming'....
if Mountain Lion succeeds, it's because the Apple sheep follow anything because Apple says it's great.

Which exactly is it?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
So, if Mountain Lion fails, it's because it was 'underwhelming'....
if Mountain Lion succeeds, it's because the Apple sheep follow anything because Apple says it's great.

Which exactly is it?

None of the above; I am just saying that the adoption rate, so far, is underwhelming for what I think is an underwhelming upgrade anyway.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011

You do realise that your .1 update is 'bugfree' because of all the 'idiots' that jump at the .0 release, right?

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
What's funnier is those of us who presently have Mountain Lion downloaded but are taking our sweet time before upgrading (I've been slowly making backups and checking application compatibility before I make the jump), laughing our butts off at you guys desperate to get and install the upgrade. ;)

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you are also the car on the highway going 20 MPH slower than everyone else with your left turn signal perpetually on.

Good going!

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
None of the above; I am just saying that the adoption rate, so far, is underwhelming for what I think is an underwhelming upgrade anyway.

okay, we get it dude. you do not like ML. you don't have to post it on every bit of news that comes out about it. damn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.