Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retina MacBook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.

fryrice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Boston, MA
ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
A lot of the fine print says personal use though. So if you own 100 Macs, you're probably a business and the unlimited usage may not apply. Also $20*100 isn't a lot for a commercial company when considering that it is an OS upgrade.

If the OP is using it for his business I'm not sure upgrading all the Macs in his business to the latest OS is a wise idea.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Let's say I own a hundred iMacs. And one of them qualified for the up-to-date program, the other 99 does not. I have the copy. Can I *legally* install that same copy to every other 99 iMac?

"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

The rules for the up-to-date program might be different than a normal Mountain Lion purchase from the MAS (even though the distribution method is the same). You might want to look to see if there was any fine print for the up-to-date program offering when you signed up for it online.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty sure that copies obtained by the up-to-date programme are intended only for the qualifying mac, no others.

Just buy it from the MAS, it's cheap, then you are allowed to install that on as many computers as you like (if they're not for commercial use).

If you have 100 machines in a commercial environment you should be looking into Apple's volume licensing.

http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
ok so this is my first time using a mac i assume there is no cd key associated to ML. now i see online everyone can put this OS on a usb thumb drive. i got the free upgrade cause i just purchase my mbp. my gf has a mbp 2010 so can i create that usb and install ML on my gf mbp?

Technically no, because you don't own that computer. Even if you had purchased ML, you would have permission to install it on the computers you own...not your friend's computers. They would need to purchase their own copy.

Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.

Either way, having a ML license doesn't legally give you permission to install it on other people's computers.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Since you got it with the Up to Date program, I'm not sure if you can legally install it on ANY other computer, even another one you own. You'd have to ask Apple or read the fine print. I thought the Up to Date program gave you a copy of ML for just that one computer.

However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
However, once the Up-to-date program code is redeemed on your MAS account you can't buy another copy with the same account, so even people with good intentions may not be able to purchase another copy.

Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Bingo. I got an up-to-date program code for my new MBA, downloaded it and installed it. Then I went to download it from the MAS for my iMac, and there was no option to buy it, just an option to download it.

In that case, I'd probably call Apple's customer service and see what they say. But that's me....I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to possibly unlicensed software. I can understand if others would just go ahead and install it on their other computers, though. I just wouldn't feel right about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.