Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
it still amazes me how many people are willing to just jump on a version 0 of a major software update, without waiting to see if there are problems, or at least until version .1

no way in hell i would risk computer downtime just so i could be "first" to download. i mean, there really is no rush.

I don't do anything on my home computer that would be catastrophic to lose. I could run beta software for day to day operations for all I care, but I don't as I don't want to need to reinstall the system every other day.

I personally always fail to see what people are doing on their home computers that would be so bad if they lost the ability to use their computer for a day or so. As long as you keep backups of things you want to keep (music, videos, photos and so on) I don't see any reason for not "jumping on a .0 version" the same day it is released.

But that is just my view on my home computer and the way i utilize it. My 3 work computers though, that's a whole other thing (I have 2 work laptops for pure redundancy if one of them fails).

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I'm on Mountain Lion

I upgraded my iMac from 10.7 and I like it. It seems to be quicker at most tasks and I haven't run into many applications that need fixing. The apps that seem to be broken are the ones that 'call home.' E.G Gigapan stitcher, etc. I'm not worried though as I don't use those very often and can wait for a fix.

I also like the fact that now I have airplay on iTunes!!! That was actually the major reason for me upgrading to 10.8.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Just like to add that it won't install on my MBP c2duo which according to time stamp would be compatible, just, actually isn't! That's a bit annoying. Was hoping to get one last OS upgrade in. At least my new iMac is compatible. Pitty I had to pay for it instead of waiting half a week. At least I feel justified in paying since I would otherwise still be waiting with fury at the tips of my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
:rolleyes:

I'm sure you are also the car on the highway going 20 MPH slower than everyone else with your left turn signal perpetually on.

Good going!

Actually, I'm the bike probably not quite lane splitting, but damn close to ;)

----------

I personally always fail to see what people are doing on their home computers that would be so bad if they lost the ability to use their computer for a day or so.

A day ? I can reinstall my home computer in about 2 hours if I ever need to. And I haven't needed to in years.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That is not the point.

Sure it is. Windows XP still has useful life, it is on extended support and gets security updates and is a modern, multi-user operating system with good design based on enterprise features like filesystem ACLs, proper kernel/user space seperation, a modern filesystem, etc.. etc..

Meanwhile, OS 9 was rather poor already when it shipped, even more so 10 years after its last update, it didn't even a proper process scheduler, relying on cooperative multi-tasking, lacked true multi-user support, filesystem security, etc..

The comparison is completely bunk. Running Windows XP in 2012 is not like running Mac OS 9 in 2010. Not even near at all.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Sure it is. Windows XP still has useful life, it is on extended support and gets security updates and is a modern. Running Windows XP in 2012 is not like running Mac OS 9 in 2010.

From the age of the OS sure. Lets take Mac OS X 10.0 instead if you like. Microsoft's support cycles are simply ridiculous.

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Well I just got my email. REJECTED! I bought the most expensive refurbished iMac on the Australian Apple website a few weeks back. If that doesn't qualify as a qualifying refurbished Mac I don't know what would!

I've been a sturdy Apple user/owner since about 1987. I've put many people onto Macs. And this tops the cake in a gradual feeling of discontent I've been getting in the last few years.

Well I've worked for a couple of years in a Win only ICT environment and although I didn't like it I came to realize it works, has more games, more software for business, more software and hardware flexibility and options at expense of quality and security. But it still works. And if I don't like that I could use Ubunu.

Well f##k you Apple. I'll be returning my referbished piece of Apple cr#p to my nearest dealer on Monday before work.

I wish I didn't feel this way because I still have fond memories for the company, but it's lost it's soul and on M$ level Apple can't compete.

Is it an over reaction? My departing says not, if my future business means anything to them. It apparently doesn't.

Well I doubt I could really pull that off. Just ignore me.

Cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well I just got my email. REJECTED! I bought the most expensive refurbished iMac on the Australian Apple website a few weeks back. If that doesn't qualify as a qualifying refurbished Mac I don't know what would!

I've been a sturdy Apple user/owner since about 1987. I've put many people onto Macs. And this tops the cake in a gradual feeling of discontent I've been getting in the last few years.

Well I've worked for a couple of years in a Win only ICT environment and although I didn't like it I came to realize it works, has more games, more software for business, more software and hardware flexibility and options at expense of quality and security. But it still works. And if I don't like that I could use Ubunu.

Well f##k you Apple. I'll be returning my referbished piece of Apple cr#p to my nearest dealer on Monday before work.

Guess I won't have much need to visit this site much longer. Been good chatting to MacRumors forum members and staff over the years!

I wish I didn't feel this way because I still have fond memories for the company, but it's lost it's soul and on M$ level Apple can't compete.

Is it an over reaction? My departing says not, if my future business means anything to them. It apparently doesn't.

Cheers all.

Rejected on the basis of what?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Don't know where you got the idea that refurbs were eligible, but they're not.

If the money you saved on the refurb doesn't make the A$20.99 worth it to you, I don't think you're a great loss to Apple as a customer.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
You do realise that your .1 update is 'bugfree' because of all the 'idiots' that jump at the .0 release, right?

And furthermore, extensive developer testing for the last six months may have helped just a little bit with the stability of this .0 release, as well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.