Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
This thread is from Feb 2011. I'm willing to bet he found a way to sell his phone quick by now.

And I'm normally so good at picking out old threads. I wonder how people actually find the old posts anyway.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
GameStop. It's easier. you get more if you plan on getting a game. Shoot, they are giving $116 for a old 3GS.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Wouldn't you be able to get a higher price on eBay than on Craigslist? It's also seems a lot safer.

[But then again... I've never used Craigslist but just heard about it]

Depends on city, supply vs demand. Here in Fairbanks, Alaska Craigslist is a buyers dream and a sellers nightmare. My ipad 3 with keyboard cost me 350. iPod touch 4th gen 64gb like new 160, iPhone 4 16gb 150, Xbox 360 slim with mw3 and bf3 130. Etc. I buy and sell on Craigslist. I make 150 profit on some items.

----------

I would suggest Gamestop. I sold my iPad 2 there because I didn't want to deal with Craigslist. It's easy and they give cash on the spot.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/itrade/

Their prices are just too low.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
I have purchased many phones off craigs list and had nothing but good experiences. THe guys who would not meet me at the verizon store were most likely selling bad product. Like in all other area of your life a little comon sense goes a long way and if the price it too good to be true, it usually is.

Check phone outof case, check volume, charger jack and head phone jack. Next check Meid, if clean move to your account as you pay this way they cant call is stolen if its on your account already. Someone I know bought a phone, checked MEID, went to avtivate days later and it was on black list. I think the kid claimed insurance for lost phone. My buddy had an e mail or text screen shot of the Meid with the text or e mail going over the deal and agreement to sell. My buddy filed a police report, (he had kids cell number they got the rest of the info) eventually got phone off black list. Verizon would not get involved, just said, we can not activate phone on black list and if he was in the store (my friend) instead of on the phone doing activation he would have had it confiscated by Verizon! After a long while it got resolved. Assurion puts MEIDs of all claimed broken / stolen / lost phones on the black list so they can't be re-activated. Kid claimed lost phone but police had who text or e mai trail with screen shot of MEID blew that out of the water. Explain that to your MOM and Dad.

Last edited:

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Wouldn't you be able to get a higher price on eBay than on Craigslist? It's also seems a lot safer.

[But then again... I've never used Craigslist but just heard about it]

With Ebay you need to make sure you follow all their rules if you want any chance at fighting a dispute. Packing, insurance, etc. Otherwise they tend to side with the buyer no questions asked, from what I've heard and seen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The fact is, you can get stiffed anywhere you go..

Cragislist: Robbed, Knifed, Given conterfeit cash. There are also scammers out there. They generally give you some sort of story about how their son is in Nigeria and needs this for a Birthday gift (or some variant) but that they will pay you an extra $200 (or some stupid number) to ship it. Still others are just out there to phish for your email address (they get it when you respond once) so that they can sell it. These are usually also pretty obvious with broken english and/or ridiculous questions about the item. I like to give all the detail anyone could ever want, including detailed pics. If someone asks me a question that is clearly answered in the post, it's a safe assumption they are phishing.

eBay: Scammed - it's quite tough for a seller to actually prove they shipped what they did. You can take a pic before you close the box and hope eBay sides with you.

Local Trade-in: This is the safest (in terms of you getting SOMETHING for your item) and the companies know it. This is why they pay pennies on the dollar.

Online trade-in: Same deal as above. You will get paid. How much is completely up to the buyer. They are there to make money. Your product is just a resell value for them. Think of it like a used car. Private sale is ALWAYS more profitable than trade-in. Why? Because you are pocketing the extra cash the dealer would have made on your item.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Definitely Craigslist, I put up an ad for an iPhone 3G, and immediately got calls for it right away.

Same with me. I'm getting cash for my andriod via sprint when the iPhone 5 comes out, don't think will be able to get more then their 60 for my evo. Cl is the way to go for apple products and until this post I'd never heard of peop,e using counterfeit bills but I'm sure to check from now on.

Just saw the op was from 2011....

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Same with me. I'm getting cash for my andriod via sprint when the iPhone 5 comes out, don't think will be able to get more then their 60 for my evo. Cl is the way to go for apple products and until this post I'd never heard of peop,e using counterfeit bills but I'm sure to check from now on.

Just saw the op was from 2011....

Oh trust me even with a 3G now in 2012 you'd still get calls for it right away. People would buy anything with an Apple logo on it.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
The fact is, you can get stiffed anywhere you go..

Cragislist: Robbed, Knifed, Given conterfeit cash. There are also scammers out there. They generally give you some sort of story about how their son is in Nigeria and needs this for a Birthday gift (or some variant) but that they will pay you an extra $200 (or some stupid number) to ship it. Still others are just out there to phish for your email address (they get it when you respond once) so that they can sell it. These are usually also pretty obvious with broken english and/or ridiculous questions about the item. I like to give all the detail anyone could ever want, including detailed pics. If someone asks me a question that is clearly answered in the post, it's a safe assumption they are phishing.

eBay: Scammed - it's quite tough for a seller to actually prove they shipped what they did. You can take a pic before you close the box and hope eBay sides with you.

True that... honesty is a hard thing to come by in this world. But with eBay you can use a tracked shipment no?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
True that... honesty is a hard thing to come by in this world. But with eBay you can use a tracked shipment no?

You can, but the buyer can easily claim you shipped him a box filled with rocks. Unfortunately that sort of thing happens too. At that point it become a he said she said. If you sell a lot on eBay and have good rating from many people, eBay is likely to side with you. If you are the "once a year iPhone sale" guy on eBay, they may not be so willing. I have actually had great luck with claims that were filed against me. That said, I sell at least a couple hundred items a year on eBay.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
You would probably get more for it off craigslist than Gazelle, but Gazelle is easier to work with sometimes....

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Not everyone is comfortable with craigslist or ebay, do gazelle is an option. When you use gazelle you are essentially paying them to sell your phone for you. The amount you are paying them is close to or over $100, depending on the market value of your item. Eg gazelle will pay you $350 for a good condition iphone 5 16gb. The same phone would go on ebay or craigslist for around $550. Gazelle ends up selling your phone on their ebay account.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
Crazy, I've been CL'g for a few years in NY myself, and while I always have a marker to check bills, I haven't run across any counterfeits so far. I've probably sold $15k worth via CL, too.

If I sell anything on CL, I bring a counterfeit money pen. I think I got it for 4 bucks at Home Depot.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
http://www.gazelle.com.

Listed my phone as like new, they agreed, paid me $20 over the auto generated web estimate. Check received exactly four days after they received the phone.

I'm not opposed to Craig's or eBay, but have had hassles with unscrupulous buyers & whiners. All my stuff is kept like new. But I have no patience for the buyers on those sites. I'd rather get paid less & not bothered.

Ship it to Gazelle, get a check fast. Done.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I bought two xbox 360's of craigslist without testing them out. Worked well. Most people are honest, its the dishonest few that scare me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow you guys refuse to let a thread die? Resurrected twice since OP in Feb 2011!

I sold mine at Game in the UK. They had just started to buy used iPhones and the guy in the shop had no idea what to check for. It was unlocked (as I bought it that way from Apple) which meant they gave me more for it. But as neither of us had a sim for it, he just took my word for it and that it was working and handed over the cash.
Shops will always take a cut, but if you need the money there and then probably the way to go. Trouble with selling on any forum is there are too many scammers.
Could always try this one https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/132/ if you qualify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.