Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timtax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Hi everyone, I wanted to check with you guys how your installation process went? The thing is that I've experienced on both of my macs that the Mountain Lion install was almost done (like 1 minutes remaining) when all of a sudden it hopped back to 15-20 minutes remaining..?
Mountain Lion still installed fine, but it seems odd to me... anyone who had the same thing or who could explain?

Thanks in advance!

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
I didn't have any issues with the install. I did a clean install by erasing my HDD and installing ML from an external HDD.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
Hi everyone, I wanted to check with you guys how your installation process went? The thing is that I've experienced on both of my macs that the Mountain Lion install was almost done (like 1 minutes remaining) when all of a sudden it hopped back to 15-20 minutes remaining..?
Mountain Lion still installed fine, but it seems odd to me... anyone who had the same thing or who could explain?

Thanks in advance!

Mine did exactly the same tonight. Got down to less than a minute remaining and then went back up to 20 minutes remaining. About 20 minutes later all done. All fine.

gerryf

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
started the install and went for a walk....watching an OS install is like watching grass grow...

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I went the clean install route and it went really well. Piece of cake..

First downloaded from MAS, waited 30mins. Created boot install disk using Lion Disk Maker onto an external 300GB drive. Booted into external install drive. Ran Disk Utility and did a 3-pass zero wipe.

Came back after work and ran the installer, finished in about 30 mins. Booted into the system and setup iCloud.

:apple:

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
Took about 30 min or so to install. Downloaded it early in the morning and took a nap. Woke up and it was ready to go. I let it install and had breakfast. Came back and was done.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Mine took about 30 minutes to count down to "Less than a minute". Then it went to minus 1 minute, and minus 2 minutes, and minus 3 minutes, and then I stopped watching. Next time I looked it said 17 minutes to go. That was my first trip back in time.

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Same thing happened to me -- down to a minute to go and then back to 30 minutes remaining -- but everything's been fine and running smoothly since.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Mine went fine. Got down to ZERO minutes left, the started counting up negative minutes left. At one point I had -15 minutes left. Then it looked like it started over and had 20 minutes left (positive not negative numbers). It counted down again to zero and finished what looked like normally and rebooted. When it was done, I ended up with Mountain Lion and have had no issues at all. It seems fine.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Thanks in advance!

Had the same experience here with an in-place upgrade..

----------

I went the clean install route and it went really well. Piece of cake.

First downloaded from MAS, waited 30mins. Created boot install disk using Lion Disk Maker onto an external 300GB drive. Booted into external install drive.
:apple:

Strange, Did this same thing, but from USB drive,, couldn't boot.

timtax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences. In a summary, some people got the same, some don't. Either way the OS installs nevertheless and everything runs smooth afterwards so no problem :)

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
15 minutes for me from a 8 GB thumb drive, but I have 5400 rpm Hdd MacMini system, so perhaps those with SDD's will install faster, not positive...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.